I've been having a hard time finding just the right app. Ideally, I'd like something that is not linked to any particular program, but has the functionality of something like My Net Diary -- which has great features, like barcode scanning (just scan the product, and the nutritional information will pop up!) -- but will not allow you to customize your daily benchmarks, if they don't comply with their own dietary recommendations (calories-in calculated via BMI, low fat, high carb... etc).
I've been using Low Carb Diet Assistant, which is OK. It's a little clunky and does not have any great resources or features. It has an average, and often inconsistent, food list, that doesn't seem to exactly match up with the food your eating. For instance, it will have maybe 3 listings for heavy whipping cream, as well as a selection of brand name whipping creams. They'll all have different values (some list 0 carbs per serving, and some list 2 carbs per serving... weird!).
I would love to find an app that did these things:
1. Allowed you to customize your daily benchmarks, regardless of the government's daily recommendations or food pyramid or what the app thinks is healthy.
2. Had a recipe creator/calculator, that allows you to insert your recipe ingredients, and determine your own serving size (like Spark People's website)
3. Has a label scanner, like My Net Diary. (I love this feature!)
4. Has an extensive, accurate food list, including brand names and restaurant.
5. Calculates net carbs and sugar alcohols.
Somebody get on this!