3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Carb Counters

Insulin Resistance

Old 07-28-2012, 01:48 PM   #31

S/C/G: 302/302/200

Height: 5'6"

Brag away girl! I will even do a happy dance for ya! Love the site and TY for the help... Cannot believe how better I feel not eating starches!
dinomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:57 PM   #32

S/C/G: 366/Ticker/165

Height: 5'9

Hey everyone! I just wanted to introduce myself... I'm Luna, and I've been on this weight loss journey (well, this particular one) since November 2011. So far, I've lost nearly 90 pounds. The thing is, my obesity has caused and/or exacerbated many health conditions, including high cholesterol, high triglycerides, PCOS, and insulin resistance/prediabetes. The cholesterol and triglyceride numbers have gone down quite a bit as I've lost weight - yay! - but the PCOS and the blood sugar has just gotten worse somehow. Recently, I've been told by doctors and a nutritionist that a low-carb diet could help me with these two conditions. I didn't want to hear that, because I love carbs. Like, seriously, seriously love carbs. Even with my reduced calorie diet, I will sit down and eat a whole (regular sized) bag of 94% fat free popcorn and feel okay with that. I will often eat a cup of brown rice or whole grain pasta for dinner (and lunch!), as well as cereal for breakfast. Again, the cereal will be high fiber. But still with 30 grams of carbs. All told, I often eat about 250-320 grams of carbs a day. On a reduced calorie diet.

Well, I've been reading more about more about the low-carb diets. In fact, for the past couple days I've made a concerted effort to reduce the amount of carbs I eat. It's been incredibly hard! I feel like, I don't even know what to eat. I know I need to do more research into this. I guess I was just wondering if any of you guys could tell me more about any benefits you have seen from following a lower carb diet? Like, is the deprivation of not eating bread worth the benefits you see?

Thanks in advance!

Mini-Goals:

* Lose 10% of my body weight - met 1/15/12
* Get under 300 lbs - Met April 2012
* Half-way mark (lose 100 pounds) - Met 8/16/12
* Onederland -
* Goal weight (165 lbs) -
Lunalore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 11:34 AM   #33

S/C/G: 200/164/140

Height: 5'5"

There is no deprivation for me to not eat bread!

It's funny, but when I switched, I also couldn't imagine it -- what would I eat?!

First things first, you have to eat vegetables and fruits, because of their nutrients and fiber. So, you need to start making sure you're getting your five servings of vegetables every day -- leaf greens like spinach or kale or even lettuce! Then you have your other vegetables like green beans, snap peas, etc. They are so good!

As for fruit, avoid the high carb fruit, like grapes and bananas and eat a lot of berries and apples (low sugar fruits).

Then make sure you're getting your lean proteins.

Then, for your fiber and overall well-being, you can add a carb, like 1/2 cup of brown rice, o quinoa, or another whole/high fiber carb.

Snacks, as examples:
Apple with cashew butter (mmmm love cashew butter)
Fruit salad (cut up fruit, eat)

Last night's dinner:
6 oz (raw) skirt steak with salad

Breakfast:
A recipe I found on 3FC, for apple eggs (apples in eggs and sprinkled with parmesan! so good!)

If you have PCOS (I do too), then you really do have to watch your blood sugar levels and all the refined carbs (don't believe the hype of "whole grains") that you're eating at breakfast and through breads is going to be sending your BGL all over the place.

Whole foods, non-processed, focused on vegetables (fiber!) and lean protein (if you're vegetarian, you also have options), is the way to go.
Old 08-01-2012, 05:31 PM   #34

S/C/G: 302/302/200

Height: 5'6"

DO IT! I am addicted to carbs like mad....I made a menu for 2 weeks and stuck 2 it,, the first 3 days are the worst...no lie but make that menu and know what you are eating every minute of the day..I cannot add much if any grains into my diet w/o going thru cravings again...I eat LOTS of veggies meat and cheese ....
dinomama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:33 AM   #35

S/C/G: 198/155/140

Height: 5'9"

A doctor can test to see if you are insulin resistant, correct? If you are, then do they usually prescribe metformin?
ringmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by ringmaster View Post
A doctor can test to see if you are insulin resistant, correct? If you are, then do they usually prescribe metformin?
Yes, usually endocrinologists can do the testing.

Metformin can be prescribed, but it's not automatic. It depends on the doctor, the companies they deal with, and whether or not they believe in exercise/diet.

At the end of the day, exercise and diet are the key factors. Even with Metformin, if you don't eat low carb, you will be gastro upsets.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:17 PM   #37

S/C/G: 286/286/186

Height: 5'7"

You might want to take a look at the Metabolism Miracle by Diane (or Diana) Kress. She talks about there being a different kind of metabolism that she refers to as "Metabolism B". The initial phase is 2 months and it is essentially reprogramming your pancreas because at any given time you do not eat more than 5 net carbs. You can for go them, but they can't stack up. The idea behind it is forcing your body to only produce a certain amount of insulin so it regulates your blood sugar and other functions. I don't know whether this is helpful or not, but I figured I would throw it out there. I am completing Day 4 today and I feel good. I have a long history of diabetes in my family and my aunt just recently dies of pancreatic cancer. Nothing motivates me like the idea of meeting my maker and struggling to get older. Best of luck to all!
danigirl906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 02:44 AM   #38

S/C/G: 210/184/128

Height: 5'0"

I am just dying to know if there is some sort of link between birth control pills and insulin resistance.
I can lose weight fairly well on a reduced calorie diet as long as I am on birth control pills.
If I go OFF birth control pills, I can't lose weight on a reduced calorie diet. It has to be low carb.

WHY IS THIS? Very frustrating!!

At any rate. I am eliminating bread/pasta/flour, etc from my diet again. I knew my IR was flaring up again when I have been wanting to sleep all the time. When my IR is bad, I don't want to get out of bed and I want to sleep all afternoon. Even though I've been eating 1200-1800 calories for the last 2 months, I have not lost a single pound. I've been eating tons of bananas, toast, rice, pasta, etc. AND.. I've been getting up at 1am to raid the cubbards. I will steal my daughters sweetened cereals and wash it down with almond milk! I couldn't stop myself, it was like my body NEEDED carbs in the middle of the night. So I knew I needed to do something once I realized it was my IR.

Day 2 of eating less than 75g of carbs, no more naps. I've had steady energy all day.
I still got up in the middle of the night last night but forced myself to eat a small cube of cheese and did not eat any carbs.

I am going to try and wittle it down to 50g if I can. I plan on still eating 1/2 cup of organic short grain brown rice once or twice a week but no more bread and pasta for sure!

Will post back soon on how I am doing!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:45 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunSize View Post
I am just dying to know if there is some sort of link between birth control pills and insulin resistance.
I can lose weight fairly well on a reduced calorie diet as long as I am on birth control pills.
If I go OFF birth control pills, I can't lose weight on a reduced calorie diet. It has to be low carb.
My endocrinologist confirmed what I had read about BCP and Insulin Resistance -- birth control pills CONTRIBUTE to insulin resistance.

I don't know why you are less likely to eat carbs when you're on the Pill -- for me, I was CRAZY for carbs on the pill. And developing my IR was proof of it.
Old 08-22-2012, 06:20 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
My endocrinologist confirmed what I had read about BCP and Insulin Resistance -- birth control pills CONTRIBUTE to insulin resistance.

I don't know why you are less likely to eat carbs when you're on the Pill -- for me, I was CRAZY for carbs on the pill. And developing my IR was proof of it.
I am not sure if I ate less carbs on the pill, but I felt a million times better on b/c and weight fell off as long as I didn't over eat calories!
I have not been able to lose a single pound since going off bcp in May! And I am retaining water like crazy to boot. My fingers and hands are swollen all the time now.. Could this be related to IR? I read somewhere that IR makes us retain sodium.

But.. day 3 of watching carbs and I already feel better though so I am on the right track!
Scale was down 1lb today, also!
Old 08-22-2012, 06:23 PM   #41

How many carbs are you guys eating to help with your IR?? I am trying to come up with a good plan but I want to understand the science of it, too.

Is there a certain amount of even "good" carbs that will make blood sugar spike?
I just want to keep my blood sugar steady-freddy!
Old 08-22-2012, 11:08 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunSize View Post
How many carbs are you guys eating to help with your IR?? I am trying to come up with a good plan but I want to understand the science of it, too.

Is there a certain amount of even "good" carbs that will make blood sugar spike?
I just want to keep my blood sugar steady-freddy!
I think everyone is an experiment of one. In other words what works for someone may not work for you.

In my case, I discovered very recently that restricting calories was not enough. I played around and now, if I am eating 150 grams of carbs or less, I can lose weight.

If I am eating more, then I can't.

But, what made it so difficult to get to this point is that I was eating the healthy carbs -- brown rice, legumes, no breads, no pasta, no cookies or cakes, no candy bars, fruits and veggies -- however my carbs were usually around 200 or 250. Too high.

Now, I'm getting my carbs exclusively from fruits/veggies and I've been able to get my weight moving down again.

So, experiment around.

Getting off BCP didn't cause water retention for me.
Old 08-22-2012, 11:41 PM   #43

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

I lose better when I keep my carb count under 100.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #44
Melissa

Height: 5'6.5"

I too lose better and have no carb cravings if i keep my net carbs around 100 or lower. AND those carbs I eat are all fruits/vegetable carbs. I simply don't eat grains and sugars and I feel better.

I was a TOTAL carb queen. Like I could live off of fat and carbs. Who cares about protein when there's fat and carbs. Well... the carbs made me feel like crap and were ruining my health. Getting rid of them was the best thing I ever did. Who needs rice, bread, etc anyway? They are just fillers. I don't need fillers!

berryblondeboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 10:23 PM   #45

S/C/G: 206/222/160

Height: 5'5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rana View Post
Yes, usually endocrinologists can do the testing.

Metformin can be prescribed, but it's not automatic. It depends on the doctor, the companies they deal with, and whether or not they believe in exercise/diet.

At the end of the day, exercise and diet are the key factors. Even with Metformin, if you don't eat low carb, you will be gastro upsets.

That's interesting that you have gastro upsets if you don't eat low carb on Metformin. I find the opposite - I get less side effects if I'm eating higher carb, but of course, that's pointless since low carb helps improve insulin resistance. I ended up having to cut my metformin dose when I got serious about being really low carb (atkins levels). If I'm around 50-100g grams, it probably wouldn't matter so much.

The test for insulin resistance is the Glucose Tolerance Test with insulin (the regular test doesn't include insulin). You can see the really high insulin spike that keeps blood sugars in line (so I always looked fine on diabetes tests) that shows there's a problem. Without having insulin tested people just keep showing normal on diabetes blood tests until eventually their bodies struggle to make enough insulin and the blood sugar levels creep up to pre-diabetes levels and then full blown diabetes.

Funsize, years ago I lost weigh on the BCP and then gained when I went off it. I asked my doctor about it recently and she wondered if the consistent levels of hormones worked for me. We don't know for sure but she said it wasn't as unusual as I thought it was.

It's interesting to hear that you guys are losing on 50-100gs. I have been struggling with really low carb (and totally went off it while travelling and have been paying the price with non stop gaining lately, gotta love my IR body's ability to pile on the pounds so fast, not).
AnaBee is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.