Old 01-26-2012, 01:08 PM   #1  

Smile Atkins? Paleo? Dukan? DIY? What floats your boat...?!? Xxxx

Hiya there, I am new to this forum and I'm really needing help with losing 100lbs. I lost lots of weight (over 5 stone) when I was on a working holiday in Australia (2007) doing the gi diet. Since returning I've put it all back on and gave birth to a baby girl (she turned 2 yesterday). Really needing some help choosing a plan I can stick with - even if it's not low carb I'm willing to see how it works. Anyway, please share your stories and inspire me. I need to discover the skinny lady in me! I'm 23 and a stay at home mum if that's any help too.

Lots of love,
Me
Xxxxx

Staceyh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:09 PM   #2  
Gotta keep trying!

S/C/G: 285/ticker/150.

Height: 5'6"

I started ideal protein using alternatives 17 days ago and have lost 8lbs and almost 3 pants sizes!
omgzitsmiranda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 01:17 PM   #3  

Oh wow! What's ideal protein? Not heard of it xxxxx
Staceyh2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #4  
Paso a paso

S/C/G: 264/Ticker/160

Height: 1.65

I have a very BIG mix xD
I follow a cyclical Keto (book writed by Lyle McDonald) idea, but i'm low carb 13 days and 1 is high carb, insted of the 5-6/2-1 he suggest. My macros are 70% fat 20% protein and 10% carbs on diet days, on high carbs days is 50% carbs, 20% protein and 30% fat.

On lc days i do a clean atkins like induction. Lyle states that ketosis is not important, and some people eat low carb but from an}y source, i do not.

Last edited by Lyla; 02-07-2012 at 12:52 PM.
Lyla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 04:24 PM   #5  

Personally, I follow Mark Sisson's Primal diet. I was able to go from 190 lbs to 170 lbs on a standard calorie deficit diet, but I had trouble getting below 170. I really wanted to lose another 5-10 pounds, so I tried out the Primal diet. In under 3 months, I hit 162 pounds and am now in maintanence mode.

I can't recommend his program any higher. I find it a lot more satisfying than a normal calorie deficit diet, and only eat about twice a day now because of fullness. Meat+veggies=awesome!
GThorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2012, 09:26 PM   #6  
Losing the baby weight

S/C/G: 224/183/140

Height: 5"4

I like Atkins because I find it easy, I don't get hungry, and I have success with it. I was thinking of transitioning to the gi diet to maintain once I'm at goal though.
StephanieM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 09:00 PM   #7  

Default Wheat Belly

I've been on the wheat belly diet for about a month now and love it. I no longer have the cravings I used to. I've lost about 15 lbs so far on this diet.
Joannavan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #8  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I use a low-calorie exchange plan, so I can use all of the low-carb and carb-conscious books. I read many of the carb-conscious books for inspiration, and then use my exchange plan to implement that inspiration.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 06:11 PM   #9  

I like paleo/primal, especially The Primal Blueprint because it includes a little more freedom with the 80/20 rule. I also like that it's a lifestyle rather than just a food diet.

I think the best diet is one you can stick with for long term. I also think you have to experiment a little to see what food work for you. What foods keep you full and which ones cause the cravings. I feel best and can ward off hunger if I stick to 50 - 75 total carbs a day. I've started eating a big salad at the start of my lunch and dinner. I'm really seeing results.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:37 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

I created my own plan which is not really low carb but sort of a compromise. I eat only protein (such as steak or chicken) for breakfast. Then lunch and snack consist of veggies, protein/cheese, and fruit (maybe some nuts too)--still somewhat low carb. Dinner is "whatever i want." I can have all the carbs i want at dinner, if i want them. I've noticed that i don't particularly crave carbs at all for dinner. When i used to eat carbs during the day, i'd crave them all day. On the other hand, when i went on a strict low-carb diet, i'd crave carbs ALL the time because i was so fixated on them as this huge restricted thing. Unlike other people, cutting out sugar completely did NOT help to reduce my carb cravings. But if they are not "forbidden," then i find it's not as big a deal and i can actually stay away. The other day, i had one 50-calorie piece of chocolate. Before, that would have been unheard of--i'd eat at least 6 of those in one sitting!
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 150/136/120

Height: 5'5"

I have a do-it-yourself plan. I just posted it in the Featherweights forum.

I'm low carb not only because I can't control myself around them but because they make me severely lethargic. It took me months to realize that it was my diet that was causing the lethargy.
JoJoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 05:08 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 150/144/125

Height: 5.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJoP View Post
I have a do-it-yourself plan. I just posted it in the Featherweights forum.

I'm low carb not only because I can't control myself around them but because they make me severely lethargic. It took me months to realize that it was my diet that was causing the lethargy.
That is SO me, JoJo! However, I do eat fresh fruit once or twice a day. I read that eating your carb before 2pm is recommended. I hope I remember that correctly.
Michelle Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 08:22 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 246/244/143

Height: 5'6''

Of the official low-carb diets I like Paleo best, but I also swear by the Fat Flush Plan. Years ago it helped me get within 6 pounds of my target weight before I messed it all up. I have been doing it again and it is awesome.
FitMomEB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 09:27 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 150/144/125

Height: 5.3

Congratulations, Fitmom, on your success! How Inspiring!
Michelle Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 12:12 PM   #15  
Big Miss Sunshine

S/C/G: 280/See Ticker/175

Height: 72.5"

Default Great book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joannavan View Post
I've been on the wheat belly diet for about a month now and love it. I no longer have the cravings I used to. I've lost about 15 lbs so far on this diet.
I, too, have added the 'no-wheat" to my plan and I feel so much better. This book has really been great for me because it gives me a scientific explanation for the problems I have been having with dieting all these years.
MissKoo is offline   Reply With Quote