Old 12-18-2011, 05:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 330/ticker/150

Height: 5'9"

Question I'm planning a wedding and I forgot about...

THE CAKE?!?!?!?!

OMG How in the world am I going to have wedding cake on my wedding day when I am doing low carb? Yesterday I had a red velvet cupcake and I have been sick all day. I was just looking at invitation designs and WEDDING CAKE slapped me in the face. If I can't handle one cupcake, I may die after a few bites of cake.

Should I plan to make the cake low-carb? Should I just have a regular cake and only eat a couple bites? Should I forego cake and have some other sweet treat that's still low-carb friendly?
biancasimone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:50 PM   #2  
Knocking down walls.

S/C/G: 278/ticker/125

Height: 5'4"

What do you think will work best for you? I think something sweet and low-carb would be nice and could make your reception stand out (in a good way).
theox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:39 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

.You only need to take one bite, after the cake cutting, after that no one will notice if you are eating cake or not.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 144/131/128

Height: 5' 4"

I think you'll be too nervous/excited to eat much cake!!
TwynnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 09:56 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I always eat when I'm nervous, so I thought that I was going to pig out at my wedding.

For the first time in my life, I was too nervous, and too busy to eat much (I was really looking forward to the hors d'oeuvre table, and with greeting everyone, I actually forgot about it. I did get a few, but some of the ones I wanted to try had already run out).

I probably had a piece of cake, but I really only remember the small, delicate bites for the camera (After the bites, we did both gently dab a spot of frosting on each other's noses, but no in-the-face smushing for us).
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 326/326/180

Height: 5'4

There is a place here that has sugarless, flourless cakes. Maybe that could be an option for you.
QueenCocoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:12 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kara View Post
I think you might be overreacting a bit. It's your wedding day and one bite of cake isn't going to kill you.
Haha thanks Kara for reminding me of that I do feel a little bit worried about my tendency to over eat, but I think it is okay to have one piece of cake on my wedding day
Old 01-13-2012, 12:01 AM   #8  
On week 124

S/C/G: 317/242/157

Height: 5'6"

lol.....I was married in Vegas, the cake we pretended to cut was fake, it was a huge one and we laughed at how it was a zero calorie cake! Later, we had a huge reception with family and had the traditional cake. I don't remember actually eating that one either, we cut it and had the photo's done, but I was much more interested in the champagne than cake. lol

I wouldn't worry about it. If it would help, have a bowl of whipped cream nearby and plop some on the cake and eat that, no one will know that you didn't eat the cake underneath. It's up to you how important the issue is. 8 years later, I am diabetic, so I would not risk it now, but back then, it was not an issue and I would have preferred to enjoy the special day without worrying about food intake.
one small bowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 02:58 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

Maybe request small layer to fit your eating style - and the rest for the masses. here , the tradition is the cake top layer goes to the freezer to be eaten on the 1st anniversary. So I'd request the top layer and maybe 2nd layer be suited to your way of eating. There are good gluten free, or low carb cake recipes in existence. It can be done. A good baker won't turn wrong side out over a special need or request.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 12:28 AM   #10  

Thanks ladies!!!!

I have heard of people having the "show" cake and then serving a standard sheet cake to the guests. People never know the difference when the wait staff brings the cake to guests, or when it is "cut" out of view of the guests!
Old 01-27-2012, 02:08 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 192/163/138

Height: 5"8

maybe have a flourless chocolate cake for the grooms cake and eat that instead of bridal cake
GobabyGoGO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2012, 11:57 PM   #12  
weigh-in Wednesday :D

S/C/G: 255/250/175

Height: 5'10.5"

I think as long as you lean a little heavier on the protein part of your wedding dinner, say just have the lean protein and salad rather than including another veg on the side. I think this will compensate carb-wise when it comes to the cake.

Also, you could let your hubby-to-be know ahead of time that you just want cake in your bite, not loaded with icing or fondant. That will help keep the carbs down a bit. I make cakes as a side business and my birthday is coming up so I was trying to figure out how many carbs are in a serving of my favorite chocolate cake. For an 8-9 inch square piece of cake ALONE it worked out to about 28 grams of carbs! So for my birthday, I am making a super amazing cake (want the pics for my website) and having one half serving with some icing/fondant/filling removed and everyone else can have it normal. I'm going to have probably chicken and salad for dinner then have my conservative slice of cake after the super low carb dinner.

another way to go if you'd like to endulge yourself a bit on your wedding day, is slowly increase your carb intake over a week, not majorly but just enough so that your body won't freak out at you (the way it did for the cupcake) for having a few bites of your wedding cake.

My opinion on the low carb cake matter is that you should not be forcing your diet on your whole wedding party. You could definitely try to have one specific tier of your cake be made carb friendly as well, because there may be diabetics or dieters in attendence that would be interested in the alternative and it may be a great advertisement for your bakery to show that they can make a low carb cake.

When is the big day?
AmberN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2012, 08:16 AM   #13  

One Small Bowl: That is a cool idea, never even thought of it!!! (Also, I read your blog, you are one AWESOME lady!!!!!!!! )

Go baby: I like that, though I don't know what he'd think about it

Amber: Good ideas, thank you

We are having our "big ceremony" next year in January, but we are actually getting married this year. Also, we have a baby on the way
Old 02-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #14  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

I don't think I ate cake at my wedding except for the one bite I had to eat to please everyone.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 05:29 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 146/131/128

Height: 5'4

lol... my husband and I were actually upset because we didn't even get to eat our whole slices of cake because nobody would leave us alone long enough! Seriously, things will be so crazy you could just take one bite. Just get it to please your guests.
lkander2 is offline   Reply With Quote