Old 01-12-2012, 04:15 PM   #1  

Height: 5'10.5"

Default Primal Blueprint newbie-detoxing??

Hey there. I have just gone from mostly vegan, never touching meat to primal. I just can't do it, I hunger for meat. My skin already is getting color again and the whites of my eyes are getting clearer. I'm going from about300 grams of carbs a day to 100 which is not super low compared to other diets on this forum but it was enough to give me a stuffy nose and cold and some nausea. Anyone else experience this? I'm just tired in general too, but I'm drinking my tea and dark chocolate and am only on day 4. Can anyone relate out there? You're experience with the low carb flu would seriously benefit me. I'm excited to keep going!
purdumse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:05 PM   #2  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

I think that I gradually reduced carbs as I learned the slow 'tried and true' way that bread and pasta were something I should limit - even if just for their gateway drug properties. I think "carb flu" isn't worth it - why not ration potatoes/yams in transition?

I guess all you can really do, though, is stick it out! Good for you for tracking your improvements in health, because that will really motivate you!
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:27 PM   #3  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

Stick it out! The detox/"low carb flu" isn't something you want to go through over and over and over again.

P.S. Welcome to the dark side.
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:48 AM   #4  

Height: 5'10.5"

Thanks for the responses! I'm always a little soprised and happy when someone replies I am one of those people that does things black and white, you should have seen me when I cut out caffeine souvenirdarling! I went from about a half a pot of coffee a day to nothing BAM like that and damn did I feel awful. People were like, "why don't you just cut back slowly!?" I guess I'm just special like that haha. I think I am almost through the flu, I'm feeing a bit better nearing the end of the day. I think another full night of sleep and I'll be through to the other side, thank you for being more gentle with me than I am though lol.

And the dark side heh heh . I know, it's awful I have reverance for animals and don't agree with the 'machine' as it were, but yeah, it's a very grounding thing for me. Meat makes me feel like my feet are on the earth.

Thanks for the support!
purdumse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 09:10 AM   #5  
just do it!

S/C/G: 269/150/150

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by purdumse View Post
Thanks for the responses! I'm always a little soprised and happy when someone replies I am one of those people that does things black and white, you should have seen me when I cut out caffeine souvenirdarling! I went from about a half a pot of coffee a day to nothing BAM like that and damn did I feel awful. People were like, "why don't you just cut back slowly!?" I guess I'm just special like that haha. I think I am almost through the flu, I'm feeing a bit better nearing the end of the day. I think another full night of sleep and I'll be through to the other side, thank you for being more gentle with me than I am though lol.

And the dark side heh heh . I know, it's awful I have reverance for animals and don't agree with the 'machine' as it were, but yeah, it's a very grounding thing for me. Meat makes me feel like my feet are on the earth.

Thanks for the support!
This is why part of the paleo/primal philosophy for me has become support for local, organic, grass-fed/pastured/sustainably raised animals.

Have you watched the Discovery mini-series "I, Caveman"? It aired back in the fall and Robb Wolf (of the Paleo Solution) was one of the participants. He took down an elk with an atlatl while they were hunting and it turned into one of the most moving and emotion scenes as these 21st century individuals were confronted with having to kill their food. The respect and reverence that they showed for the animal was impressive and really had me thinking about my own approach to meat afterwards.

I'm glad you're coming to the end of your crummy detox period! I'm assuming it was more than just the carbs and you were perhaps reducing sugar intake as well? Either way, on to happier days!
peanutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:34 PM   #6  

Height: 5'0"

This is my 2nd week of primal living and I did experience some carb flu last week. I was coming off a VERY high carb diet. The worst of it lasted about 2 days. Since then, I still have periods of lightheadedness and dizziness if I get too hungry, but I am feeling more energetic and less cranky.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote