Old 04-19-2012, 09:25 AM   #91  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowgirl View Post
Alternatively, you COULD line the tins with bacon
I use prosciutto. Also too salty for you, Rainbowgirl, but I think it adds a nice flavor. Then I slice up an avocado and divide it among the cups, crack an egg in each one, and bake at 375 for 18 minutes. I spray the muffin tin really well first to keep the egg from sticking.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 03:45 AM   #92  

I have never heard of this, but reading some of the post makes me a bit more curious. I'm going to do a bit of research, and who knows what might happen from there.
FattyFatFat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 02:06 AM   #93  

I'm about to partake in a '6-week Primal Challenge' through the Crossfit gym I go to. I've been reading up about it and starting to make a few changes, so for me this challenge has come up at the right time.

It starts in a week so I'm reading up, searching for recipies, and getting the cupboards organised!
Eruanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 08:05 AM   #94  
Slimming down in San Fran

S/C/G: 275/191/150

Height: 5'8"

How you all doing?

I just finished what I like to call my cowboy breakfast of coffee, eggs and bacon... having a tough week, and getting back on track today! I'm determined to get out of the 230s!
BerkshireGrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:42 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 245/206/125

Height: 5 feet, 3 1/2 inches

Ahh, I'm so excited that there's a Paleo/Primal thread! I've lost 34 pounds so far this year eating this way and have 75+ pounds to go. I would love to help revive this thread a bit and keep up with you all!
LiloLink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 05:49 PM   #96  

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiloLink View Post
Ahh, I'm so excited that there's a Paleo/Primal thread! I've lost 34 pounds so far this year eating this way and have 75+ pounds to go. I would love to help revive this thread a bit and keep up with you all!
how long have you been working with Paleo?
thanks
Penny
pgun3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:31 AM   #97  

Does anyone have links to "cheap" online places to order Paleo friendly meats? Thanks
paulny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 10:50 AM   #98  

S/C/G: 206/see ticker/145

Height: 5'6"

Sorry - don't know of any cheap online offers. I have noticed though that Costco is carrying more paleo/primal friendly products - including grass-fed beef, kerrygold butter and flaxmeal.

I've been on primal for around two months and have lost 14lbs so far. I've found that no wheat/minimal starches has made my relationship with food so much calmer. Minimal cravings and I stop eating after a reasonable portion size. I used to be able to eat the whole bag of chips, etc. Anyone else find this to be true? I haven't cheated at all - but that may be because the occasional glass of red wine, piece of dark chocolate or small potato with butter and sour cream is allowed.

Would love to see if there are others who are interested in getting this thread active again. Thanks, paulny, for making it show up on the new posts lists!

Last edited by dancerindenver; 11-01-2012 at 10:51 AM.
dancerindenver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 03:55 PM   #99  
Renaissance Woman

S/C/G: 363/306/185

Height: 5'10.5"

The food I source from the Internet is not cheap. I do the Costco thing too. At my local supermarkets and Trader Joe's they are now carrying grass fed beef and bison, as well as lamb. I can also get wild seafood in season there. I get my eggs from a local CSA farmer who is actually my client and I know his chickens are grass-fed and augmented with feed that is non-GMO and soy-free. Poultry is harder to source for me since I am very sensitive to soy and poultry don't have those lovely multiple stomachs like cows do to digest the soy more effectively. Just because it says vegetarian-fed doesn't mean it's soy-free.

So, from me as well, thanks for bringing this thread back. I've been eating about 80% Paleo but really want to push myself a bit more. That 20% has been from poor choices at weak moments. Not doing myself any favors!

I was eating very low carb, plus Paleo, plus Intermittent Fasting. Somewhere in there I crashed and burned (lack of sleep didn't help either). For now, I've increased my carbs, but only with vegetables and a few servings of berries. I also decided I was eating too much protein. Hoping the new mix will get me feeling more energy soon. Tired of feeling tired all the time.
geoblewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2012, 01:33 PM   #100  

Georgia - do you use coconut oil at all? I've just started and I think it might be helping me keep my blood sugar steady. I haven't tried IF yet - I don't think it's for me right now - if I get too hungry, I might be tempted to go off plan.

Down another pound today - woohoo!

I know there have to be more of us paleo/primal folks out there - you can't all be over at mark's daily apple and paleohacks, right? Would love to find others on the same WOE.

Last edited by dancerindenver; 11-02-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #101  
Renaissance Woman

Oh yes, coconut oil, coconut butter, and I keep coconut chunks in the freezers too. I mix that with broken French dark chocolate...I miss my dark chocolate Bounty bars, but those really tastes awesome to me now. I actually had a bite of a Bounty bar on Halloween but turned it away because it was too sweet.

I put a spoonful of coconut cream in my hot tea these days. I've been really regular since I started doing that and don't need to take psyllium any longer.
Old 11-02-2012, 02:55 PM   #102  

Georgia -
I saw on your blog that you have tested your blood sugar after different food combos. I just ordered a blood glucose meter (I'm not diabetic) so I can see what makes me spike and what doesn't. I'm thinking keeping my blood glucose low and steady is what drives weight loss. Does that agree with your findings at all? The meter hasn't arrived yet - curious to see what I find out....
Old 11-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #103  
Renaissance Woman

Yes, for me, all grains and legumes, fruit and all sweet things spike my blood sugar. As does eating too much protein, especially at night before bed (it spikes my blood sugar at around 4 a.m. the next morning). But it's like that for me because my pancreas is malfunctioning. I wasn't always like this, even when I weighed 50 lbs more than I do now. My pancreas has been like this since the first time I got pregnant.

If you're not diabetic or insulin resistant, then you will very likely find that the same sorts of carby foods don't seem to affect you any differently than other non-carby foods. But if, after you've eaten something like a plate of pasta, your blood sugar pops up over 120 or even 100, you may already be taxing your pancreas. At some point, every time the blood sugar pops up too high (>140), it kills off beta cells in your pancreas. And that's not good. So keeping your blood sugar in a healthy range for as long as possible is important.

I'd love to hear about your results. Please share them, if you care to.
Old 11-03-2012, 09:54 AM   #104  

I will absolutely share my results, once the stuff arrives. From what I've read, grains and certain fruits (less so with berries and apples), tend to spike everyone's blood glucose. I for some reason love apple slices with natural peanut butter and am curious if I can get away with that for a snack without a huge (weight-gain-inducing) spike - we'll see!

Do you avoid dairy? I'm still eating greek yogurt, having whole milk in my tea in the morning, and eating 1-2oz of cheese daily. That's my next thing to leave out if I hit a plateau.

Hope you're having a good day....
Old 11-03-2012, 12:36 PM   #105  
Renaissance Woman

Not avoiding all dairy. Still eating the full fat Greek yogurt, labneh (strained yogurt), and heavy cream. A couple ounces of cheese per day. A dollop of the labneh on a baked sweet potato covers a lot of cravings for me!

Half of a tart Pippin or Granny Smith apple with a bit of creamy blue cheese and some walnut bits before bed...yum!