Old 06-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 202|200|150

Height: 5'4"

Default Ketone test strips

I just bought some yesterday & every single test I've used has only turned up Small amounts in my urine. I remember having this issue once before. I'm doing everything by the book, so I'm confused about why my test strips aren't darker. I've lost 2 lbs in 3 days, so I know things are working. I just feel like I wasted $6 on test strips. =/

Any ideas???
MaddieBPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:47 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I lost over 100 lbs on Atkins and they never changed color for me. I don't put a whole lot of faith in them. Go by how your clothes feel and a metallic taste in your mouth, those seem to be much better indicator's of ketosis.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 184/173.9/145

Height: 5'2"

I have heard about people obsessing about the ketone strips - don't fall into that! When I use them, I do it once a day at a particular time... if you do it more often than that, then you might get discouraged. It took me at least a full week before my strips turned dark purple.. and I was in the "small amounts" stage for 3+ days alone. So... don't give up! But don't go crazying testing yourself every time you go to the bathroom. And definitely use your energy level as an indicator... after only 2 days I felt like I had all the energy in the world, but my strips weren't showing ketosis yet. Good luck!
ELBS717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 202|200|150

Height: 5'4"

Energy is a bad indicator for me right now - I got AF back at 11 months postpartum. I cried a lot yesterday. =/ I started to feel the energy levels kicking back up & then she decided to show, so at this moment, I'm pooped. I was 157.0 yesterday & today, up .7 from the previous day so I'm really hoping that I get my whoosh soon. Bad timing to start Atkins & then AF hits days later. It could be worse - I could be back in the 160s.
MaddieBPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 03:15 PM   #5  
On week 124

S/C/G: 317/242/157

Height: 5'6"

As long as they turn pink, your are producing enough to show up. Try different times of the day. I test darkest in the evening, lightest in the mornings.

I have read that how much water your drink can influence the colour (more water, lighter test colour). I have also read that if you eat more fat, they will darken.

I test once a week on my weigh in day just to be sure I didn't have "carb creep" in the week. I test negative when my carbs hit 40 and over. I am not overly concerned once I show pink on the strip, I then only test weekly or when I suspect I have bumped myself out of ketosis.
one small bowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:18 AM   #6  

Height: 5'3"

from what i have read even if they show a small amount or nothing you can still be in ketosis, it's just that sometimes everything gets used up and there is nothing to pass.
beautybooty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #7  

Height: 5'3"

Those strips rarely worked for me but I did lose weight the last time I was on Atkins.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 05:41 PM   #8  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

generally checking late in the day after supper is better, and the books do say that any amount of ketones is fine, they don't have to be dark. I also think that if you are losing you shouldn't worry about it.
fatmad is offline   Reply With Quote