3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   Low Carb Calorie Counters? (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/239704-low-carb-calorie-counters.html)

Peaches5577 08-01-2011 11:46 AM

Low Carb Calorie Counters?

I have read a few posts that have mentioned people having success eating low carb and watching calories at the same time. Can you tell me what sort of menu plan this entails and what calorie/net carb intake you try to stick with?

I have been following the atkins diet the last two weeks as well as started running or elliptical every day and have lost a whopping 1.2 lbs. Not sure what is going on but am very frustrated.

wendyland 08-01-2011 03:36 PM

I do track just, but mainly do it to monitor my carbs and make sure I'm eating enough protein/fat. I find that if I'm too low in protein/fat, that I'm hungrier. I usually end up with about 1500 calories without being too hungry. You might need to tweak things here and there to see what works for you.

When I did only calorie counting, I would eat about 1800 calories and day and feel like I was starving. Low carb is definitely better for my hunger levels.

I generally follow the primal blueprint.
I keep my carbs between 50 - 75(total carbs).
I try to have a really low carb day once in awhile and a higher carb day once in a while (maybe up to 100 total carbs once a week or every other week)
I limit fruits to one a day.
Sugar is very limited. I might have a teaspoon in my tea on my higher carb day.
Dairy is very limited. I use butter and ghee in cooking and once in a while have a little shredded in my taco salad.
I don't do grains. Maybe a little corn or rice on my higher day.
Limited potatoes, but I don't exclude them completely. I love my taters.

hungrybecca 08-01-2011 06:39 PM

Hi! I'm writing to get some good support. I am 41 and 5'2" and I'm at my highest weight ever except for pregnancy. I started Lindora today as I love the daily clinic check ins. Would love to get support here too!
Thanks!
S180.5/C180.5/G125

Imannott 08-01-2011 07:22 PM

Hi All,

I am currently reading the carb cycling diet which recommends low carb and calorie counting. I have to go back over the methond and let you know how it works. The have a limited carb day and a normal carb day, which works with your calorie count.

shalyn 08-05-2011 10:05 AM

I'm following this thread because I also need advice on low carb. Good luck, Peaches!

one small bowl 08-17-2011 04:34 PM

I track all of my foods and drinks in a nutritional software program called Diet organizer. I love it. While my primary concern is low carb and weightloss, I find that every time I think I am ready to leave calorie counting (tracking) then I begin to stall and maintain weight, even at a ketogenic level of carb intake.

I didn't get to weigh over 300 pounds because I could easily manage food intake on my own. When I track and watch my carbs AND calories, I lose weight. Some people cannot stand counting or tracking, but for me, to lose 160 pounds, it has to be done and it will have to be a part of my weight maintenance program for the rest of my life. This is the last time I want to have to lose a massive amount of weight. It is my daily reality check.

ShihtzuX2 08-18-2011 02:57 PM

I'm a calorie counter from way back and just began counting carbs as well this week. I'd lost 20 pounds over 2 months, then stalled for another 4-6 weeks and couldn't lose another pound no matter what I did. Plateaus suck.

I decided I needed to try something new since the same ol', same ol' wasn't working, and I was tempted to give up. My carb intake this past week has fluctuated between 50-100 carbs/day - and I lost 3 pounds.

I track calories etc. on the Live Strong/Daily Plate Web site.

I love fresh fruit this time of year - as well as sweet corn, potatoes, etc. - so I've had to do some major cutting back in those areas, but if it keeps the scale moving downward, it's worth it. And the increased protein really takes the edge off the hunger - it really does.

When I've calorie-counted (or WW points counted) and ate a really carb-heavy diet, I had days where I was just ravenously hungry. Not so much anymore. I'm getting better about stopping when I'm full - and not just finishing off the plate simply because it's there in front of me or because I've already logged the calories, etc.

Learning about carbs and protein sources and tracking them has presented me with new challenges and things to think about, which helps keep me motivated too. I know some people hate counting anything, but I find it really interesting and fun, esp. now that we have all these online tools available (geeky, I know).

kaplods 08-18-2011 07:16 PM

I use a moderately low-carb exchange plan, slightly modified from the one I found on the hillbillyhousewife.com website: Modified in that I use the 1500 calorie high-protein plan as my "minimum" for the day, and then allow a maximum of 5 optional/flexible exchanges (which I can spend on starch, protein, dairy, or fruit exchanges). So my planned calories range from 1500 to about 1900, and my carb total tends to be between 100 and 150 per day (I'm considering trying to lower it, by trying to use all of my optional calories on protein, or at least choosing not to spend them on grain foods).

hpnodat 08-23-2011 11:10 AM

I've done cal counting off & on since the beginning of the year. I've had a hard time sticking to my plan which is why I said off & on. In the last month I've become more serious about it. But about a week ago I decided to lower my carb intake and switch to complex carbs instead of simple carbs when I do have carbs. I have not lost any weight this week and I'm beginning to get frustrated. But I cant stop because the reason I decided to go lower carb in the first place is because I just found out I'm insulin resistant.
So I guess I'm just going to ride this thing out, I mean I'm bound to lose weight as long as I'm burning more energy than I take in so I'm not really worried about it too much, it's just a pita every time I step on the scale and I've not lost, but it's only been a week so....

I really need to start writing everything down though. Basically, I've been keeping a tally in my head of calories & servings and not really counting carbs but being mindful about not eating simple carbs. I'm trying to only have 1-2 servings of complex carbs per day. I try to have 3-4 servings protein, 4-5 servings vegetables, and 1-2 servings of fruit(which I count as carbs as well). I also have 1-2 low calorie protein shakes a day. I estimate I eat under 100 carbs/day and 1500-1800 calories/day. My BMR is right about 1800-1900 calories/day, to maintain my weight I need about 2200 calories/day.