Old 04-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #31  
Come on ONEderland!

S/C/G: 254/ticker/175

Height: 5'-7"

Wow, everyone is doing so well.

So I've got some sort of Martian Death Flu- I'm allowing tea with honey because it really helps the sore throat and eases the phlegmy cough. Damn you Martian Death Flu!

However, here's what's amazing! i was at Coachella- a music festival in the desert- and I was able to stay on plan! Now, I'm sure there might have been a few ingredients that might have been off plan in my salad dressing- but for the most part- I didn't cheat. Even though it was 100 degrees and boy that waffle ice cream sandwich did look tasty!

I think what worked out so well is that we were walking a ton.

Wooo! We're halfway through the month, keep going!
uscarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:48 AM   #32  
War Eagle!

S/C/G: 194/165/140

Height: 5'2"

Oh, no, uscarchie! I'm soo sorry about the Martian Death Flu! See, if you can joke like that, then I know you're going to be okay. Feel better soon!

Congrats on making it through the music festival!!

I'm coming off a crummy day. The crummy part had nothing to do with food, btw. It was just one of those days.

Easter party count down is in full swing! Thursday is the party. Ugh! I have to make cupcakes for it tomorrow. *sigh*

Good night everyone!
theCandEs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 12:22 PM   #33  
Come on ONEderland!

Ok, I'm feeling a TON better now. Yesterday was feeling very low- but now it's like I'm alive again.

Do you think it's possible to live a whole lifetime not eating sugar? If sugar is toxic to our bodies, as Gary Taubes and others have postulated, then it makes sense that we shouldn't eat it. Of course, our bodies *crave* it. The cravings go down when we don't have it for a while.

But wouldn't you want to have a nice dessert with a nice dinner?

I'm not to the point yet where I could indulge and not have trouble sticking to the plan- for me it HAS to be an all or nothing attempt. (honey being something that I think I can make an exception for? I haven't yet thrown myself to the bottom of the canyon since I've used honey to soothe my sore throat.)

Well, this journey is a long one- this trying to be healthy for a life-time. But I do wonder if it's realistic. Once I'm done with this month, I may switch to an 80/20 perspective on the paleo.
Old 04-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #34  
War Eagle!

Glad you're feeling better!

A lifetime without sugar? Well, I suppose you could do it, but it would be extremely difficult. I've only been doing Primal for 4 months or so, and occasionally the sugar will grab me and smack me around a bit. I'm better at resisting it now, though, because it doesn't have the same appeal it used to have. Still, on my birthday, I want a cake or something. They had cupcakes in the break room today, and I felt the pull of them. I did not eat one, but I was sooo hungry, and that's what made it hard. If I had remembered to bring something for myself, then it would have been easy to walk right by and not drool.

A friend of mine ate one. Last year she lost a ton of weight. She's 20 pounds back up at this point, and she really wanted the cupcake, so she ate one. I don't want to do that, and I have to say, the cupcake didn't appeal to me enough to eat it. I mean, yeah, I was hungry, and I did want one when I was in the room with them, but once I left the room, I forgot about them. I remember when just the knowledge of a cupcake in the building would plague me until I ate one. I don't have that problem as much now. I mean, I'm not always perfect, but I'm not obsessed with it as much now, either.

Last edited by theCandEs; 04-20-2011 at 04:30 PM.
Old 04-21-2011, 11:51 AM   #35  
Come on ONEderland!

Those cupcakes are EVIL. I know exactly what you mean. It's hard to resist them. They call to you "Eat Me! You know you want me!"

And in my office, they seem to be here every other day.

I'm doin' okay today. Didn't plan so well today, but I think I was eating too much fruit the past few days, so I'm going to cut back on that today. And drink more water! It's hard to keep myself hydrated when sickness hits, and that's when it's most important!
Old 04-21-2011, 03:36 PM   #36  
Ilene the Bean

uscarchie -- The less I eat sugar the less I crave it... but I do like to have my occasional desert but, sometimes, not all the time I feel awful after eating it... my stomach feels weird, I get a sugar headache or hangover... Not worth it sometimes...

I've done good the last couple of days, a co-worker and I have an W30 going from the 21st of April to the 21st of May ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 04:24 PM   #37  
Come on ONEderland!

Woo Hoo! Maybe I'll join you! Make it a Whole 51. I'm planning on keeping up this WOE. Although I may take a break on my half marathon- I'm feeling like I'll want my gu to keep my energy up.
Old 04-22-2011, 01:34 PM   #38  
Jenn :)

S/C/G: 176/169.2/145

Height: 5'7

Been reading these posts! I started my whole 30 March 28th. I have not cheated, too much anyway, the whole time. There were 2 conscious strays. 1 time we went to my boyfriend's parents' house (her is vietnamese) and had hot pot. We made the conscious decision to have the soy sauce his parents made to dip the meat and veggies in (I know soy is a big no no, but it just wasn't going to work without it). The other was when we were worried about getting a cold and had some Emergen - C, which contains a little sugar. No major reprocussions from either.

Weighed in and I have lost about 7.5 lbs since I started. I am thrilled, except my bf has lost 17, which makes me crazy!

So, this Sunday, Easter, would be day 28. We have made the decision to have spring rolls at his parents (rice paper, not fried). I think we are also going to get some frozen yogurt. So I am not quite making it the whole 30, but I plan to continue eating this way with "treats" every few days until around 4th of July, and see how things are going from there. Just hoping the little planned treat Sunday will not derail other efforts!
HiltonHead0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #39  
Come on ONEderland!

Everyone is doing so well! I'm very nearly convinced that this is a WOE for a lifetime. I feel really good! Although I was reading in the Paleo thread that sleep is very important to this WOE. I think that my next steps will be trying to create a sleep environment that will be good for me. I may need to get a sleep mask- it's hard to black out my room.

I'm so charged up by the support on this forum. I tell all my friends who are trying to lose weight that they really need to be here!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:34 AM   #40  
War Eagle!

Well, I'm not going to say I was perfect yesterday, BUT ... I was pretty darn good, if I do say so myself. I did have a few Easter treats, but I didn't go all out. I think the Easter party cured me of over-indulging. I was so sick afterward, I don't want to ever do it again. Ugh! I should say also that Saturday was my DH's birthday. We went out for pizza. I did have some, but it was not good to me. I should have had a salad. I was so hungry, though! I didn't eat hardly anything all day. It was kind-of a forced fasting day because I was too busy to eat. The whole weekend seemed that way. We had family over. It was a stress/fun-filled weekend.

AND!!! I have to tell you how excited I am!! Went shopping with a friend on Friday (had the day off), and I am now wearing a size 8! Can you believe that mess?? I stood there in the dressing room and cried. I really did. It made me feel good and sick at the same time.

I think something is really fishy, though. I have 12s in my closet from 10 years ago, and they are snug. What is going on here? I know the style is different, but why would the size be that much off? I know when I lost weight 10 years ago, I got down to 140, and I was in a 12. Something is not right. Just sayin'.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:41 PM   #41  
Come on ONEderland!

I was listening to NPR this morning and there's a push to standardize sizes- apparently some stores (I don't know which ones) have vanity sizes? Where they mark down the size so that us girls feel great about wearing smaller sizes? Who knew!

Okay, there's 5 days left to this month! Ending it with a bang and a half marathon May 1st. So let's do this! Finish strong!

By the way, I'm SO having a glass of wine May 1st. Just sayin. I'll stay very paleo with my eating but I am introducing wine.
Old 04-25-2011, 06:06 PM   #42  
Jenn :)

S/C/G: 176/169.2/145

Height: 5'7

Y'all are awesome! I was terrible this weekend. My bf and I were doing the whole 30 together and he gained 5 lbs over the weekend. I'll weigh in tomorrow. My stomach has been miserable since I ate at least half the off-plan things I wanted. Full of gas and bloaty. But back on track today and looking forward to feeling back to normal! So technically this is day 29, but days 27 and 28 were a wash. So, I plan to keep up the full whole 30 through the week at least, then slowly reintroduce other foods in.
HiltonHead0704 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 06:09 PM   #43  
Come on ONEderland!

Yeah, the trick to reintroducing foods is to GO SLOW! One thing at a time. Then you can evaluate what it's doing to your body.

I've a sneaking suspicion I'm going to find out I'm lactose intolerant- I know my mom is.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:36 PM   #44  
Come on ONEderland!

April 27th. 3 more days! Let's go! Some big changes afoot- my DH might be getting a new job! Which would mean moving from So Cal. Kinda crossing my fingers hoping it works out for him!
Old 04-28-2011, 04:55 PM   #45  
War Eagle!

I'm still here, uscarchie! We had some wicked bad weather here last night, but all is well today. It's beautiful outside here now.

Anyway, I buy Lee jeans, so I don't think this is vanity sizing. I think it's just brand differences. I'm not going to worry about it too much. My size 12 dresses fit, and that is my only concern right now, since I have a cruise to go on at the end of May.

OH!! My anniversary is May 1st! I need to get something for my DH stat! I better get on that tomorrow.

Good luck to your husband! Good to see you, too, Hilton Head.