food safety question - need advice!

• Hi all,

On Wednesday I cooked a whole chicken in a crockpot, and it turned out fantastic. I left the "juice" and bones and bits in the pot and stuck it in fridge to do broth (I've never done this before). I forgot about it until about 3pm yesterday.

-3pm yesterday put crockpot on low and added about a quart of water.
    -crockpot switched to warm at about 9:00 or so
    -kind of forgot about it until about 11:30pm when I cut the crock pot off.
    -realized it was too hot to put in fridge, so decided to let it cool a bit (thought I would put it in fridge when I woke up in the night to pee)
    -did get up to pee a couple times in the night but COMPLETELY forgot about it.
    -found it on counter at 6am, hoping it wasn't ruined by being left on the counter and turned off for about 6 hours

-feeling hopeful, I've had it in crock pot now for about 3 hours. The broth looks and smells good and want to strain it and use it, but I don't want to get food poisoning.

Does anyone know if this is safe to eat? My house temp is in the upper 60s.

Thank you!!
  • I would not eat it but I am paranoid about that stuff.

I would not eat any meat or rice that was out longer than an hour room temp to the touch..if u left it 6 hours it probably took 2ish to cool so you've got 4h room temp! Not in my comfort zone but ikwym it seems such a shame to throw it out..

I remember helping my mom get back to normal after her being super sick .. Well she had stocked up on meat including 2 family pks of boneless chicken! And tons of veg, basically everything was expired (she was sock 2-3wks) easily $150 down the drain ( but, better safe than sorry!!
  • I'm with Natalia.

An hour at room temperature is about my outermost limit, too. In fact, I'll generally refrigerate stuff when it's still fairly warm (not hot, but warm). I'm super-ultra-paranoid about it because I have a touch of emetophobia and food poisoning is one of my nightmare scenarios.

It is always better to be safe than sorry when it comes to food poisoning. I'd toss it.
  • I am pretty liberal when it comes to expiration dates, how long stuff sits in the fridge, etc. If it isn't slimey, funky smelling or growing fuzz, I consider it still good. bbbbuuuuutttt... Meat stock that sat out all night... hmmm... I would probably pitch it. Maybe reheating it kills anything growing... idk. I know you hate to waste it... but stock is easy to do again.

If it were veggie stock - I would say no biggie. But meat. I have read that meat starts to grow bacteria after it sits out for 20 mins. TWENTY minutes. That is nothing.
  • I agree with Natalia. I am SO paranoid that I immediately put hot leftovers in the refrigerator in my garage which only has bottled water, soda and beer in it. I only put items like sesame seeds, ketchup and mustard that many people do not refrigerate on the doors of my kitchen refrigerator. I freeze things in my basement refrigerator, and once frozen, I move them to my kitchen freezer. This is because both my parents were total germaphobics!
  • The only difference between stock that's been left out on the counter and the growth medium used in my microbiology class from college is a few herbs.

That goes for vegetable stock as well as meat-based stocks, so I don't trust either of them much. But again, I did note that I'm pretty paranoid.
  • Pitch it! If you've ever had a case of food poisoning, you wouldn't hesitate a bit.
  • Ruth, how's it going, baby?! You still on the beach? I am a little more radical now, lol but I hope to be able to be just beachy in maintenance minus the grain.
  • Throw it out.
  • It's unanimous -- it goes.

Thanks, everyone.