Old 03-24-2011, 02:03 PM   #76  

Height: 5'7"

I feel better about the whole thing because I weighed myself this morning and wouldn't you know it, I'm down 3 lbs. So happy about this and I have been eating lots of grass fed bacon, and lots of fat, so much more than ever before I think. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and I'm planning on a grass fed beef shepherds pie (with bacon) with a cauliflower top made with lots of pastured butter for dinner tonight.
TheMeIwant2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 02:58 PM   #77  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

Hi girls! Having a good day, just sipping on a homemade iced Capp with lots of cream! Mmmmmmm!

Themeiwannabe- shepherd's pie sounds awesome; what are you doing for the middle layer, green beans?? I used to put corn but now trying to avoid it due to all the starch.. Plus I like mine BBQ sauce based instead of tomato soup or gravy. I guess I could try Dana carpenters BBQ sauce recipe

Quidkidd: yes the fauxtatoes were easiest of all. Just cut half a head of cauli into bite size florets.. Steam til done. Pulse with chopper or processor , I added a squodge of butter, a scoop of sour cream and salt before pulsing. It might have been a teeny bit juicy so I would take more care to get out the extra liquid before pulsing next time. Would also be excellent with cream cheese, Parmesan, and chives! I wouldn't add hot milk though bc of the juicy factor.
If you don't have a processor maybe u could use an immersion blender?? You can get processors for under $40, or maybe just borrow your moms to try out a few recipes. Most people only use theirs once in a blue moon.
Mine is my moms old one after she got a cuisinart.. It's circa 1975 but hey it works ! And I don't use if enough to buy a new one.
Maybe try Kijiji?
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:02 PM   #78  

Hello, glad I found this forum. My crossfit trainer introduced me to Paleo, Robb Wolf and Underground Wellness. I hightly recommend RobbWolf's book and site. I listen to his podcast too.

I have known for years that low or no carbs works. Started Paleo in August but have floundered for personal reasons. Stopped working out due to physical reason but...Got back on track to do Robb Wolf's 30 day challenge. Did ok but not 100%.

Last Friday I seen The Dukan Diet on GMA. The book comes out in the US in April after being all the rage in France then the UK. I learned the specifics on Marshall Brain's blog, How Stuff Works. He outlined the diet and his progression. It totally spoke to the Paleo lover in me. I need structure and strict rules in the beginning. It is a diet in 4 phases which eventually leads you back to carbs. I am personally not going to go back to carbs accept on occasion. After I make my goal weight I'll reevaluate my eating plan.

Started 1st phase which is all protein plus 1 1/2 tbls oat bran every day for 1-7 days. I am on day 5 and feel great, and lost 4 pounds (water) and plan on going on for 1 more day. I'll take the loss anyway I can. I drink over 3 liters of water a day and take fish oil.

Can't wait to check out all the information here!
saycindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 03:24 PM   #79  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Oooh, fauxtatoes are cauliflower!!!

I was reading some of your posts thinking "Surely they don't mean boxed crapola! That would be way high carb."

Mashed cauli sounds delicious!!!
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 10:58 PM   #80  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

Hey look at all the newbies! Welcome guys.

Yep, fauxtatoes rock - make them often, even when not dieting.

Today was one of those hard days that nail me now and then. Bkfst: leftover hunko pork steak, clementine, coffee Lunch: Taco salad (work cafeteria FAVE) Snackage: One Granny Smith. Supper: Chicken strips. Later supper (cause I had that long of a day): some pizza. So only off plan twice. I'm going to stick to that level for a few and then bump it on down. Then I'll start on another quest with this. It's all good today. I had cakotunity (cake opportunity) and avoided. I had candy in my sights and turned away. The pizza could have been avoided probly, but I didn't finish my share - I WAS FULL. Nice. I'll just keep on keepin' on.
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 07:53 AM   #81  

I've done fauxtatoes with tzatziki (garlic & greek yogurt) ... UNBELIEVABLY YUMMY!

There's an interesting thread on Mark's Daily Apple forum, on those who aren't losing weight free-feeding on PB. started by Paleobird. It's an interesting read; she's worked out a way of eating that goes back to the Primal Blueprint book and is dropping body fat without hunger. Links to specific posts later; in the meantime here's the thread, Reality Check: Counting Calories
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:25 AM   #82  
Which round am I at now?

S/C/G: 158/see ticker/140

Height: 5' 5-3/4"

Hmm. Her article made an important point - I also agree we can't just forget about the calories. I don't think that changing our bodies from carb-burners to fat-burners is the solution to everything, but I do think it's high up there.

In restricting carbs, I stop having cravings for higher-calorie foods with no nutritional value and therefore cut significant calories that way. A daily salad is also contributes to a much lower weekly calorie intake for me.

She said she IFs for 24hrs 3-4 times a week and has one glass of wine and one square of dark chocolate per week. Does that strike anyone else is deprivation?? That's not how I want to live.

I consider the fact that it may be hard for most people to be as "moderately active" and "constantly moving" as PB suggests, especially when you have a sit down job. I work at a cafe and walk around 7 hours a day a few days a week, I bike back and forth to work in the summers, I don't drive so I do a fair amount of walking. I always weigh less in the summer. It'll be hard to transition into a more sedentary career.

While her post was interesting, it doesn't seem like she's having success, that she prefers PB as a maintenance program. I don't know what i think of PB yet - (except for that it's delicious) and we'll see how my body feels in a few weeks.

I just did my groceries today. Had an anniversary (5 years!!!) dinner with BF last night. I knew that if I said no to potato, corn and my favourite hazelnut croissant, he'd feel terribly let down, so I had a few bites of each. My blue cheese rare steak REALLY hit the spot, though

I discussed PB with him, and he's actually game. We'll see how it goes...
souvenirdarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:45 PM   #83  

S/C/G: 190/160/130

Height: 5'5"

I didn't get through her whole thread, but did she ever find anything that works for her?

To me, she seems a little too stubborn. IFing 3 out of seven days of the week TOTALLY seems like deprivation. I'm not really sure that that's what Mark Sisson intended when he suggested IF... Unless she's eating about 1800 calories at each of her big meals, I'll bet that her body just doesn't want to let go of anything because it feels like it isn't getting enough!
quiddkidd06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #84  

S/C/G: 190/160/130

Also @souvenirdarling Hazlenut Crossaint? Shut. Up. That sounds so good. Congrats on the anniversary!
quiddkidd06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #85  

Quote:
Originally Posted by souvenirdarling View Post
While her post was interesting, it doesn't seem like she's having success, that she prefers PB as a maintenance program. I don't know what i think of PB yet - (except for that it's delicious) and we'll see how my body feels in a few weeks.
souvenirdarling and on 5 years married!

The MDA member sets up some caveats -- who should consider this approach in this post, #385, and explains what she came up that works for her posted here, #393 in the same thread. Essentially she realized that she couldn't free feed on fat; the fat was satisfying her before she got enough protein. Since that post 2 weeks ago, I think she's lost 5 lbs.

I do think the approach will work only for those of us who like to collect, enter and review data. Some of us are from the "nerds r us" gene pool and are empowered by having the data. I remember my father asking a dietician for carb and calorie guidelines to manage pre-diabetic blood sugar levels. (like father, like daughter I guess) She didn't give him any because too many of her clients found it too rigid, boring and/or intimidating.

Any road, I've been balancing my macros and calories along the same lines to about 15% carbs, 40% protein, 45% fat. I think I'm in for a nice "showing" on the scale tomorrow morning. Time will tell though.

Last edited by I'm svelting!; 03-25-2011 at 08:38 PM.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 09:40 PM   #86  

To all: I am against deprivation, obviously by my laisse a faire (sp?) compliance. If the girl in that thread's plan sounds like deprivation you must find a path you can live with and let her follow her own. (singing... you can go your own way!!!!!.......)

Today: Kept up my current average of 2 sneaks. Lunch choice was so skimpy. I had either salisbury steak (but was covered in bell peppers which I HATE) or breaded shrimp. I went with shrimp and salad - so sneak 1. MIL cooked supper - she's practicing cooking to reduce her intake of carbs some. She did good. Stir fry, and green beans on the side - plus biscuits. BISCUITS? Well, seemed odd, but was so hungry when we got there I ate 2 while I was waiting. ack. They weren't even good biscuits. And so cheat 2. Otherwise, all on plan. So it's been average.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:18 PM   #87  

I started a blog to chronicle my journey on a paleo diet and how my lupus responds. I have started this for two reasons: one, to keep me accountable, and two, I hope it will give others tips and advice from me and from readers through comments. Most of all I hope this WOE heals me and offers others with autoimmune diseases some hope and inspiration.

You can follow me at paleoforlupus.blogspot.com

Thanks girls!

Last edited by paleoforlupus; 03-25-2011 at 10:19 PM.
paleoforlupus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:00 PM   #88  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Wow! Our thread has really grown!

I am SOOO glad it's Friday. I went out to dinner with my girlfriends, and now I am ready to get some good sleep.

Night ladies. Will be checking in and catching up this weekend.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:45 PM   #89  

Height: 5'7"

Natalia, I made my shepherds pie with little green zucchini and I used a bit of tomato paste. I think I could have used a little less fat and a little more coconut flour (of which I used none). Regardless, it was pretty good. This afternoon I had rutabaga latkes, yum.
TheMeIwant2be is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 11:37 AM   #90  

OK, ThemeIwant2be: Rutabaga latkes - I'm in, what time do we eat? Sounds yummo.

Today I'm getting out da house with my BFF for some shopping therapy. Going to get food and more. Will do my very best to be a good grokgirl today!