3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   Primal/Paleo in March 2011! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/227448-primal-paleo-march-2011-a.html)

Arkansas Kel 03-08-2011 09:06 PM

SSKAR: OMGOMGOMGOMG - that's AWESOME!!! You've lost 1/3 of you! You've lost a whole skinny B!tch! You are my HERO! I am SO jealous. You grok!

Today, primal, not primal, WAY NOT PRIMAL. Actually made no effort after breakfast. My fault. It should be a guilty day, as most days I'm not perfect, but today was so far from perfect I need my head checked. Is there "diet amnesia" as in I forgot my WOE and went nuts? Temporary insanity? I ended my workday with a DANISH for gosh sakes. A DANISH. I would say it "fell into my mouth" but I intentionally walked to the snack machine for it. I wasn't stressed out. I wasn't tired. I just WANTED stuff all day. CRUD, it's probably PMS. Dang. yeah, it probly is. :( I was on my way back on track so good since I was sick. Dang it. BAD GIRL. Go sit in the corner and give me 40 squats! WAAAAAAAAAAA! (Charlie Brown style please.)

Anyway, hang in there grok troopers! I'll find my way back. Hopefully with a vengeance.

Sskar 03-08-2011 09:53 PM

Thanks for all of the congratulations! Laughing at the thought from Kel of losing 1/3 of me :)

Seriously, I am on a mission to no longer see myself as dieting but as just eating for my health - forever.

I'm svelting! 03-09-2011 07:04 AM

Don't know if any of you follow GT's blog. He posted a bit about his experience on the Oz show.
The Dose of Intervention and the Land of Dr. Oz. Wasn't the Wizard of Oz a fraud? heh.

Ilene 03-09-2011 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'm svelting! (Post 3749721)
Don't know if any of you follow GT's blog. He posted a bit about his experience on the Oz show.
The Dose of Intervention and the Land of Dr. Oz. Wasn't the Wizard of Oz a fraud? heh.

Great Blog!! and the responses were awesome! I'll certainly add it to my favs...

Natalia 03-09-2011 09:40 AM

Thanks so much for the link to gt's blog..lots of great responses too!
Someone there made a great point about oz allegedly feeling crappy on the 24 hour experiment....take crack away from an addict and they feel crappy too :)

Maintained my weight today, i thought I'd be up for sure. I had too many carbs yesterday... But it was also my first day of exercise- 30 minutes on the bike. Very low carb planned for today

Have a great day ladies!!!!

walking2lose 03-09-2011 07:37 PM

I agree-- I love the responses to Taubes' post!!

Have you ever cooked a whole chicken in the crock pot? Oh my! I did today, and it is divine! This might become a very regular meal in my house :)

Happy, happy primal Wednesday to all!

Natalia 03-09-2011 09:40 PM

Well I had the funeral today and after the service there was a reception I had to navigate.. Tons of sandwiches, squares, brownies and cookies. I had a coffee with cream.. That's it.. It was even easier to stay away when I heard sobeys catered it.. Not my jam ;) after the reception I had a coconut indulge bar (3 net carbs) yay me!

Tomorrow I am taking the kids to the movies alone.. Aged 7 and 3 .. I'm freaking out at not having a backup adult for potty breaks.. But it's march break and toonie days this week bc of the break. So there'll be a million kids. Carter wants concession goodies but I'm going to fix my flax pancakes right before we leave And pack a protein bar and diet pop.. I am fine anyway nots
Snacking when I'm at the movies..

Does anyone watch survivor?
Russell is so right.. He went out in a bogus way. Who throws a challenge at the beginning of the game only two men up ??' what a bunch of dumb bunnies

Sskar 03-09-2011 10:46 PM

Never tried a whole chicken in a slow cooker, but it sounds really good.

We did do a slow-cooker pork tenderloin (so easy I can do it): for each 2# pork add 1 packet Knorr onion soup mix, 1 cup hot water, 1 tbsp chopped garlic, 1 tsp caraway seeds. Put in slow cooker on medium for 6 hours or until tender. I was in a hurry so cooked it in 4 hours on high. For some variety, I threw my favorite sauerkraut (Bubbies) in for the last hour. This dish even pleased my cantankerous mother-in-law, which is not an easy task. Then the witch dared to pull some ICE CREAM out of my freezer. WHAT THE HECK!? We do not allow ice cream in the house and she knows it. Grrrrr....

Sandman79 03-09-2011 11:11 PM

Dr. Oz

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'm svelting! (Post 3749721)

I watched the Dr. Oz show with GT and was very disappointed of the way that he experimented with diet. Eating one day on a Paleo/Primal diet and making it very exaggerated is just for Tv's sake and trying to prove his own point. His one day research made him look like a fool to me. Also I'm svelting, did you do IP bc I have seen you post on their a lot? Do you do strictly Paleo to maintain now?

Arkansas Kel 03-10-2011 07:12 AM

Sandman! Welcome! Glad you came to visit us.

walking2lose: I also crockpot all the leftover bits of whatever I cooked for broth - just pitch in, add water, and wait forever, then strain and keep cooking. Wait for it.... keep waiting.... cook it down.... Freeze if not needed. YUMMO! Practically it's own sauce if you cook it long enough. I started saving leftover bits in a freezer bag just to do this with at a later date.

sskar: Glad u liked it - hey, you lost more than a supermodel weighs! THere's another one for you. OH, that's without the platform pumps on BTW.

Natalia 03-11-2011 09:05 AM

Hey girls and guys!!

I am so stoked today! Though the scale shows the same number, I feel lighter and my rings are starting to flip around my finger. Can you believe 11 short lbs ago my wedding rings were tight due to the bloaties and I actually had to wear a different ring??

I didn't have any water or many liquids at all yesterday :(
Its a constant effort as I seem never to be thirsty. And I cannot chug, I always start coughing and feel like I'm drowning- lol

Anyways the reason for my excitement is that the ONLY thing I've missed doing lowcarb is something from Tim hortons called iced Capp. It's way better than Starbucks version and I like it with Cream. The combo of sweet, coffee, and heavy cream is sooooooo good!!!!!
I have tried to replicate them in the past with no success... Well last night I tried again and it was a total success! The mistake I had been making was using the coffee in a too diluted state and not using enough cream.
Last night I made a coffee concentrate, then added the cream and ice and it had the EXACT same flavor and mouth feel!!!!
Yay!!!! I am really looking forward to having one today ... It was very rich though. Last night I didn't blend ice in as the kids were asleep so it was like drinking an undiluted melted iced Capp with full flavor..

I'll stick to one a day and it should not hinder anything.

Had a crisis yesterday.. Went to the movies with the kids way early and it was still sold out!! The Internet had incorrectly advd that the toonie movies weren't purchasable in advance but this was
not true. So at the kiosk I bought today's tickets.
Well, as some of you know, my oldest has aspergers so it was like a scene from last weeks episode of parenthood! He starting shaking and crying and saying that I promised , which I did- eek
Thank goodness he composed himself quickly- I just hugged him and whispered to him in front of the sold out sign. For the first time I was able to just focus on him instead of worrying what other people think..I think I helped as they really feed off your anxiety..

Lol he just came up to me and asked when it's going to be 350 (the movie time) so yeah we did okay. He really wanted to go to eb and tru to see the mii channel on the demos and add his own mii so I took him to do that instead .. Just swapped days really :)
Hope everyone is having a great day!!

Ilene 03-11-2011 10:07 AM

Natalia -- Poor little fella :( , but congrats on dealing with it and a :hug: or :hug: :hug: always works - in my books anyway ... Speaking of Tim's I had 5 TimBits yesterday :faint: I could just :frypan: myself when I do that... Maybe you could try doing your Ice Capp with coconut milk :yes: that would be delish I think...

I haven't used my crockpot in a while but I used to put a whole frozen chicken in it in the morning and it was ready when I got home at night, great gadget... I should take it out again...

Other than my meltdown with the TimBits yesterday I've had a good week...

Arkansas Kel 03-11-2011 12:09 PM

Yesterday I sunk. Emotionally. It was a bad day at work, with multiple levels of problems. And just so you know, I'm in medical, so probs mean lives or catastrophic losses to people. In the end, I worked all day doing my usual job, plus another person's job to help out (ya, I had agreed in advance to this to help them out), and then ended up staying late to do yet another part of a 3rd person's job. I worked 18 hrs total. Part of it in direct pt care - and I just ate. I know, that's called "I deserve it syndrome." Today, I feel like I have a hangover. I think it's the long hrs yesterday plus I'm still half sick with my sinusitus. Today's gonna be a lazy day. Planning to watch that Dr. Oz and Gary stuff and be a veg today.

Natalie: So many people say they put their children first, but really mean it as a way to "get out of something." Because they'll turn right around and do something else that leaves their children wanting or needing. (I see a lot around my job.) I think you're one of the few I've heard I feel are getting it right. If your children are first - forget those nasty judgy people. Let 'em stew in their vinegar juices. Good job.

Natalia 03-11-2011 12:30 PM

Kel- so nice of you to say that :) yes I do put kiddies' needs first; not just a facade. Sometimes though with the crohns pain and the extreme fatigue, I just feel guilty that I'm not " out and about" with them more.
Things that other people do without a second thought- sliding in snow for example. Totally out of the question :( I try to make up for it by doing less physical things but I still do feel bad.

Sounds like you had a CRAZY day!! I would just try to do what you can until you get better and then go low on carbs for a week to get cravings in check :))
Ilene- funny you mention that. I took the kids to timmys at the mall yesterday and they each got a donut. I got a coffee w cream and half a sPlenda. That sour cream glazed looked good!!!! But I stayed away :) I hate the blood sugar symptoms afterward.

One time I ate 5 in a sitting! And I could demolish a family pack of timbits
When it comes to fatty carbs I could eat like a family of 12 :(
When I used to drive Carter in the morning to school I would stop at Timmys and get iced Capp or mocha with 2 donuts!!!! Such a sugar addict, imagine all that glucose hitting my bloodstream at once! Sometimes it makes we mad bc I "should" be losing weight faster given my old diet.. But then I shake it off. Life isn't fair; get over it!

I'm svelting! 03-11-2011 08:16 PM

Kel: I find it's much harder to stay on track when I haven't had a good night's sleep and a nice fatty breakfast. In the fall, I posted a link to an NY Times article on my blog that talked about the cycle between two hormones: ghrelin and leptin that made some sense to me. You should be able to find it with a search on "lack of sleep, ghrelin, leptin," Also, when my vit. Bs are up as well as magnesium, I have fewer pre-menstrual symptoms, including cravings and eating for entertainment.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sskar (Post 3749349)
Seriously, I am on a mission to no longer see myself as dieting but as just eating for my health - forever.

Sskar love this thought ... it's all about eating for health, isn't it? That's one part I loved about the Taubes blog post -- eating to correct and maintain health

Thanks too for the slow-cooker pork tenderloin idea -- it sounds delicious.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sandman79 (Post 3751391)
I watched the Dr. Oz show with GT and was very disappointed of the way that he experimented with diet. Eating one day on a Paleo/Primal diet and making it very exaggerated is just for Tv's sake and trying to prove his own point. His one day research made him look like a fool to me. Also I'm svelting, did you do IP bc I have seen you post on their a lot? Do you do strictly Paleo to maintain now?

Sandman I'm so glad I only read on the internet about television shows. I'd get really riled watching something like this. Yeah, I lost most of the weight using IP, and now I'm eating à la primal/paleo/perfect health diet to maintain. It was such an easy transition.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Natalia (Post 3753905)
When I used to drive Carter in the morning to school I would stop at Timmys and get iced Capp or mocha with 2 donuts!!!! Such a sugar addict, imagine all that glucose hitting my bloodstream at once! Sometimes it makes we mad bc I "should" be losing weight faster given my old diet.. But then I shake it off. Life isn't fair; get over it!

I read something today that donuts are total CW inflammation-bombs: white flour, HFCS, industrial seed oils, and some trans-fats for good measure! I used to get a coffee and 2 donuts, then drive to another one for the same thing so I didn't look like a total pig at one store! :o