3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   New to Low Carb! (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/226814-new-low-carb.html)

Softykins 02-28-2011 11:08 AM

New to Low Carb!

Hey everyone!

Well, I took the pludge today and I'm doing the low carb thang.
I've found some recipes and I think I can do this.
Is there any advice you would like to give me regarding this lifestyle?
Any tip and hints?
Should I still be eating 2000 cals per day? Exercising the same amount?
Should I be taking certain vitamins now that the carbs will be a lot lower?
I appreciate any help - I love this forum so much
:D

AshleyRae 02-28-2011 11:37 AM

I've only got a couple of pieces of advice. Number one: the first week (maybe a bit longer) will be tough. You'll likely crave carbs and get rather grouchy (I sure did!).
Number two: the weight will drop off quickly at first and then slow down. Don't get discouraged! You'll be dropping water weight to start.
Number three: you might get a bit constipated if you're eating more protein to make up for lost calories. It would be beneficial to take a fiber supplement.
As far as exercising, you can still do that frequently, providing you're not also on a very-low-calorie-diet (VLCD).
Best of luck with the low-carb diet! And trust me; once you get past the initial cravings, it's relatively smooth sailing. Ooh, almost forgot to mention: if you DO eat carbs after abstaining from them for a while. you'll put "weight" back on very rapidly. This is just water weight, so don't sweat it. Just hop right back on the wagon and the water weight should drop off again.

Softykins 02-28-2011 01:32 PM

That's awesome advice! Thank you very much. I think I'll run to
the drug store and pick up fiber pills!
I'm not sure if I'll have water weight because I drink so much water but
we'll see!
:D

martinimouse 02-28-2011 02:46 PM

Choose a good resource book on low carb. It will help you understand why and how this diet works and it will be handy when you need a reference point.

Don't be afraid of fat. Fat is what will reduce your hunger and you will soon see and feel the benefits, like softer skin and shiny hair. Choose good fats, like fatty meats, virgin pressed oils, coconut oil, butter and so on.

The more wholesome your foods areand the less processed, the better. It will make a difference in how you feel down the road.

Use LC desserts as a treat, but beware of over indulgence to the point that the healthy meats and veggies are lagging behind.

Use Low Carb bars, shakes, tortillas, breads and other reduced carb processed foods sparingly. Again, these products can slow down weight loss when eaten too frequently and keep cravings alive. I found it so much easier to not seek substitutes for high carb foods, but to find what I loved in low carb foods.

Go easy on the artificial sweeteners. The taste of sweetness can keep cravings alive and thriving. Also...USE them to your advantage when you really need it, as there are hundreds of fabulous LC desserts that can keep you on plan especially during holidays.

Lastly, get creative! Soon you can ways to eat delicious foods in new ways. Replace sandwiches with meat and cheese and lettuce rollups. You can make "crackers" by microwaving cheese or pepperoni to a crisp. You can make dips for low carb veggies or pork rinds. Collect low carb recipes. Last Christmas, I made a fantastic low carb cheesecake and everyone loved it. Re-think breakfast, you don't have to limit yourself to eggs, there are nuts, sausages, creamy cheeses, full fat yogurt, you can even eat left overs from dinner the night before.

Hope this helps.

souvenirdarling 03-23-2011 11:01 AM

I'm kid of new to this too :)

I used to calorie count, and while it yeilded pretty solid results in hindsight ( I say hindsight because I gained the weight back and realised 'Wow, 10 lbs does make a difference!) it made me way to obsessed with food. I couldn't do anything else in my life!

I tried some vegan cooking for a two months or so. I mismanaged it and think I ate too many carbohydrates and too many (delicious and healthy) oils. I think I gained 10 lbs in three or four months.

I'm going to try something a little more sustainable this year - eat lower carb, make the best choices I can for each meal, exercise regular and not worry too much about the calories at the end of the day. We'll see how it goes O.o

Wishin' you all the best, softykins :)

Martinimouse, do you have any book recommendations?

JustJ280 03-23-2011 04:16 PM

Hi! Been at this for a while, so I'm going to say that for me the best thing has been not to do Induction this go around. Instead, I went backwards and I know another person mentioned that on here. The first time I did this, I did do Induction (and lost 40lbs.) but since I had my baby, I wanted something easier for me. So, I just kept reducing carbs by 20 until I found what helped me to lose. Some people can do up to 100 and lose, some only 20 (Induction levels). For me, it's 30 to 40. For fiber, try flax seed -- it is good for good fats and high fiber! And if you need resources, the net is your friend! I keep reading about great recipes on here, there's Atkins.com, and then several blogs. One blog (not on here) that I love is Your Lighter Side (google it). She has TONS of good stuff! SugarFreeSheila.com, lowcarbluxury.com, lowcarbfriends.com and tons of others. Just be willing to try new things and do the research. Most of all, don't be afraid to have what you want when you are with others. THAT seems to be a big derailment! So, if you go out to dinner and you want a steak and some broccoli with cheese, have it and enjoy it!

Also, eat frequently even if it is just a small snack of some turkey and cheese roll-ups. If you go too long without eating, it does something to your body! I aim for 5 times per day (3 'meals, 2 snacks). And one thing that has been a MAJOR help for me is to have protein shakes. I buy 100% pure whey protein isolate unflavored and mix it in with whatever I happen to want and it helps me to stay full, on track, and satisfied!

It will take time, but you will find tons of things that work and taste GREAT! Just don't give up. I think that's why most people think low carbing is a 'fad' is because they give up and can't find something so they say it won't work. The truth is, if you take your time and stick with it, you'll find you're eating more healthy, whole foods and eating greater than you ever thought you could on any diet. After a while, you truly won't miss all those cardboard fillers you thought you loved. You may miss some sweets, but even things that never seemed sweet before will have a deeper, richer, more satisfying flavor once you're body isn't hyped up on a ton of salt, sugar, and starch!

So, good luck and keep posting!

L.J. 03-23-2011 04:36 PM

Dont' normally post here (just read) but WELL SAID JustJ280