Old 01-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #136  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Morning!

I used (what I remembered out of my head) recipe. Four eggs, a glop of dijon and squeezed half a lemon. The oil was Filippo Berio Mild and Light. And it was more than a cup. Probably not much more but it wouldn't have whipped up so nice and fluffy if I had stopped at one cup. I used my blender turned down as slow as it would go.
DS#2 works in a salad dressing factory. He told me somethng er other about whipping too fast so I didn't use my little processor because it only has one speed. He thinks my stand mixer would be best but I'm afraid of the metal bowl. Do you remember how Miracle Whip used to taste if someone removed the paper liner from the metal cap? Yuck!

I guess I'll have to wander off to a Food Basics this week. That's a good deal. They do carry coconut milk in my local store but I think it was 1.99. It's still wonderful to have it within walking distance.

I'm experimenting this week too. I'll tell you all about it after I go Welcome Wagon a bit.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:46 AM   #137  
Ilene the Bean

Susan I guess it doesn't matter how many eggs we use or oil, because I only use one egg and it turns out good... I used the same oil as u did too it is very mild and light...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:52 AM   #138  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hi I'm Kierie
I'm easing into the Primal way of eating Starting with a week of the no grains/Beans then Kicking out the artificial sweeteners (The occasional Diet Coke/crystal light) the following week.
I have a question, I switched to almond milk for my protein shakes/coffee
is this ok? I peapodded my groceries this week and they only had sweetened coconut milk on offer. As much as I love heavy cream i've had gastric bypass and don't have to eat low fat but too much fat in the wrong vehicle can make me sick.
So far I've had 1 day under my belt with no cravings that's a first!
Looking forward to getting to know you chicks!
Kierie
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:02 AM   #139  

Hi Kierie!

What I like about primal (and especially our little thread here) is that we all make individual tweaks and we all respect those individual choices. You know your body much better than any book author does.

Oh gosh I'm glad you're here!
Old 01-21-2011, 11:04 AM   #140  
CouponDiva Extroardinaire

Hi girls!
Hope you don't mind me joining in- I purchased Primal Blueprint and Taubes' new book, which should be here early next week. I did read Good calories, bad calories, which I loved, but found a bit technical.

I have been on plan since Sunday, but weirdly I am always afraid to weigh in the first few days on plan. So I weighed tuesday to a major 185 (highest ever weight for me non-pregnant) I almost died. I figured I'd be high 70's at the worst because all my pants still fit , though they're a bit tight. Weighed today at 2 down. Hopefully I'll be able to keep to a weekly weighin now (the flucuations make me crazy)

So, at the moment, I am doing no grains, limited dairy, limited carbs, NO sugar. I am addicted to sugar and cannot eat it in moderation. Yesterday my carbs were 2 clementines, a Mike's light lemonade, and a sugar free tall cinnamon dolce (so basically a glass of milk). Only other carbs were in low GI veggies. I feel so good when eating lower carb!!

Bit about me, my name is Tara, I'm 34 and live in NB Canada.. 2 kids, 1 hubby, off work currently, severe Crohn's disease. DS7 has Aspergers and ds2 has a speech delay which keep me busy (appt's for both kids).. exercise is hard for me because I hurt so badly the next day, so it's good to see it not emphasized in PB and Taubes' books. I have tried mny plans in the past, never mnaging to lose more than 20lbs before eating sugar and falling completely and utterly off the wagon. At some point I always start to feel like I'm the one in control and can control my sugar intake (I can't) and end up bingeing once I have a bite
Lesson hopefully learned!
I look forward to "meeting" each of you
Natalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 12:38 PM   #141  

Hi Tara! Welcome!

For absolutely no good reason that I can think of, I've been fooling with ketosticks. I've been in ketosis now for about 24 hours. I really have to crank down the carbs and fill up on fats to do it. I figure that by tomorrow morning, I'll know whether it makes any difference ... scale-wise.
Old 01-21-2011, 12:44 PM   #142  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hi SRMB Thanks for the Welcome
Natalia I'm also 34 Married no Kids I have Cerebral Palsy and am trying Primal too reduce inflammation
Exercise wise
have you seen Chair Aerobics for Everyone? It might be less Taxing to your Bod
It's also the least offensive Chair workout! Theres some chick with other videos out named sunshine who looks like Dee Snyder!
Also an arm bike might be good (Mine was $100 on amazon ) Mine can be used for arms or legs
Ok working from home today off to throw some eggs on to boil for lunch
Kier
Old 01-21-2011, 06:36 PM   #143  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Welcome to Kier and Natalia!! Glad to have you here.

I just wrote a longish response to the peanut question, so I'm going to keep this short.

Good day here. Very busy and tiring week at school (quarter tests next week), but I stayed on track. I'm getting ready to eat a yummy grassfed burger with a salad and then heading to the basketball game.

I'll post more later tonight or tomorrow.

Can someone remind me what day we're on for whole30? I'm thinking we are getting ready to enter our last week? It's going fast!

Happy Friday!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 11:25 AM   #144  

What a quiet, quiet thread...Hope people aren't snowed in with power off!

Well, I had a very upset stomach when I woke up this morning -- felt better after going to the bathroom (sorry TMI). I'm pretty sure two things did it -- one, I ran errands for about 6 hours yesterday. I ended up being gone much longer than expected, so no, I did not plan food well. I decided to go to Chipotle while out and got the "bowl" (basically a burrito in a bowl for those who haven't been there) -- I go no rice/beans -- chicken, hot salsa, lots of lettuce, fajita peppers/onions, and guacamole. I read on MDA that Chipotle, while a better fast food choice than most, cooks everything in soy oil and may have some other hidden ingredients. Anyway, when I got home, I was still quite hungry, and I got a portion of nuts to munch on. Well, I mindlessly grabbed more nuts every time I went by the kitchen and by the end, dang it, I had eaten a TON of nuts. So my "portion" turned into many handfuls. Way more than anyone should eat. I knew it too, and was like, "Why in the heck did I just eat that many nuts?!" They were macademias and marcona almonds, BTW. Ugh.

So, I went to bed knowing that I might have done some damage, and sure enough, I woke up with the tummy issues - cramps, etc.... not a good feeling at all.

Lesson learned. I think for the last 10 days of whole30, I'm going to abstain from nuts. I need a break from them and, frankly, right now I have zero interest in eating any.

Today will be a cooking/meal planning day -- I'm going to cook a little, grade a little, clean a little... sounds like fun, no?

I have free range chicken breasts from Trader Joe's and two packs of free range chicken drumsticks (yummy!) that I'm going to bake. Additionally I have some grassfed ground beef -- gonna brown 2 lbs. of that and put it in containers for two meals -- probably one will be taco salad and the other might be Asian lettuce wraps. That should get us through the week meat-wise. I really need to go by my folks' house because my dad has a ton of venison for me, but I don't think I'll make it today.

My other food projects for today are kale chips in the dehydrator (will be one of my snack instead of nuts this week)and... wait for it... are you ready...you got it! MAYONAISE! Yep, today I continue the great homemade mayo challenge. I will be making it with my blender stick and light/mild olive oil. I will definitely post updates later. If it works, deviled eggs will also be a part of my diet this week.

Just so y'all know, I have read a ton on the mayo thing online... many sites say don't use evoo (so I should've known better) and several suggest canola or sunflower or some other neutral tasting oil I will not buy/ use. The one I wasn't sure of was grapeseed -- years ago I remember reading how great it was and healthy. Well, I finally got around to reading up on it, and it is NOT primal/paleo friendly unless you want an oil that is almost ALL omega six fatty acids (the bad kind, people. the kind that leads to massive inflammation, heart disease, and all the other fun stuff that we are all trying to avoid here).

So, I have my eggs on the counter to bring them to room temperature, and I going to get started on chores. I hope each of you has a fantastic day!
Old 01-23-2011, 01:51 PM   #145  

Coming out of my lurking to post briefly ...
I got myself hooked on some frankenfood protein bars. I know these things are a tricky area for me and I keep going back to them. Sweet stuff whether it's sugar or artificial sweetener is my crack, it is the

This week I'll eat a bit of starch (small serving with each meal) and more fat to kick this addiction. If I'm going to have something sweet, I'm going to go for the real stuff -- true, good chocolate with good butter, etc -- not this ersatz, sweetened pseudofood.
I'm svelting! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 02:26 PM   #146  

Hi girls!! Kierie (what a beautiful name, if I had had a girl we were going to name her kiera, but kierie looks even more beautiful in print)..I have never heard of chair aerobics and I will look into it- sounds like it's for me

claire, those kale chips sound interesting. Plmk how they turn out! I don't have the ambition for homemade mayo so I eaither use a tiny bot of full fat no sugar real mayo or some bacon creamy garlic dressing. So good on tuna!

Have been doing well staying off the scale and eating low carb. Today for breakkie I had sausages, bacon and 2 eggs and one clemmie .

Lunch/ snack wAs almonds and a lc hot chocolate.
Suppers gonna be BBQ burgers with sauterd mushrooms, no bun, veggies and salad .
Later I'm hbing some eggs and also making a crustless quiche for weekday breakkies..also gonna try that chili dog caserole tomorrow .
Have a nice clean day chickies!!
Old 01-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #147  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

Hi Ladies
I broke down and kindled the Paleo Diet. Its interesting but it conflicts a lot with primal. She seemed a little conflicting. . .watching fat but then putting a half cup of mayo in a salad for 1. I ended up having bread bleh I was using up marinade last night and didn't use my brain tons of sugar --> Reactive Hypoglycemia
Natalia Kierie is short for Kieran which means little and dark in irish Thanks for the compliment
Google the videos they have their own store much cheaper then on amazon!
Making 2 nights worth of dinner Baked chicken thighs with brussel Sprouts maybe with some flax oil and herbs

Embarrassing Q time Whenever I stop the refined carbs I can't go to the bathroom. any input would be Very Good
as it is I picked up some prunes took some extra magnesium and am drinking enough liquidh and coffee to float away
Old 01-23-2011, 04:16 PM   #148  
Ilene the Bean

Yayyy newbies Kierie and Natalia/Tara and back Svelting!!

Day 20 of W30 ... I'm doing pretty darn good, I must say so myself ... Last night DD and I went to to the show and neither one of us had popcorn. When I got home I really, really wanted a glass of wine but abstained... That was a tough decision, seriously!! I feel like I've lost weight specially this week but I haven't stepped on the scale at all...

Hey, where's Sparky?
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 06:53 PM   #149  

Ilene- thanks for the warm welcome!!i hope to be here for a long time. It's hard finding a place bc whenever I decide to reduce carbs and abstain from grain and sugar, I feel like I don't really "fit" anywhere as I tend to make the plan livable for me. As such when I post my menus or post in general I have to deal with judgements as I'm not working it "right ". Also don't want to post in the hardcore places as I don't want to tempt anyone either. It's nice to see the acceptance of this area!!

I did make my crustless quiche with sauterd mushroom, bAcon and onion, and a batch of sugar free sausages. So lots of options for breakkie tomorrow.
Carbs for the day besides lc veg was one clemmie, a couple tbsp cream, almonds, and Sf Swiss miss.oh yeah and about 4oz red wine with supper.
That looks like well under 60, maybe closer to 40. Supermodel sammie!!

Kierie well I have crohn's so the opposite prob but I thought fiber plus water=regular? How are your veggies? Have you treied an almond meal
or flax "bread"? If all else fails have a tsp or 2 of milk of magnesia, sugar free cherry is good. I need it once in awhile After surgeries with all the dilaudid I usually need a bit.
Old 01-23-2011, 07:34 PM   #150  

I'm typing a quarter test, so I don't have time to respond to all. I'll do that tomorrow though.

I just wanted to say that I'm in MAYO HEAVEN!!!! Made deviled eggs immediately - sooo yummy! Thanks to Ilene and Susan for all the encouragement and tips... I'm never going back to storebought!

Here it is along with some kale chips I made today. And, no, I didn't put agave syrup in my mayo (I don't even use it anymore - insulin spike!- but the squeeze bottle worked great for dripping the oil).

...Errr, I just realized I need the pics to be online to post them. No time for that now, but I'll try tomorrow.