Old 01-18-2011, 08:53 PM   #121  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Kel - TOO funny!! Hey, at least your cheat was worth it!

Ilene and Violets (I've totally forgotten your real name -- can you please remind me?), thanks so much for commiserating on the sleep and for offering tips. I definitely can't have tea before bed, as getting up to pee (or just having the sensation I have to pee) is an issue with my sleep. I like the other tips though, and even though I know I can do better with sleep hygiene, I'm not doing all that bad. Frustrating stuff. I get jealous when I watch my husband knock out mere seconds after putting his head down... sigh.

I was absolutely STARVING today -- ate rest of chicken salad, 2 eggs with spinach, a bit of good quality lunch meat turkey from Trader Joe's, steak for dinner (not grassfed -- we got Omaha steaks as a Christmas gift), asparagus, about 1/4 c. coconut milk with frozen raspberries and a handful of macademias.

By the way, what do you think happened to neurodoc? She asked us all those questions, and I thought we gave some really sound answers, but then she never rejoined the conversation. Strange indeed! Do you think people just aren't ready to hear it? I strongly believe that the way we are eating will be mainstream healthy eating in ... oh, maybe 10 years.

I hope we all get a good night's sleep!!!

Last edited by walking2lose; 01-18-2011 at 08:58 PM.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 11:32 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I believe Neurodoc was seriously wondering about what the heck we're doing ... I'll bet she's reading the resources that were posted.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 06:33 AM   #123  

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmb60 View Post
I believe Neurodoc was seriously wondering about what the heck we're doing ... I'll bet she's reading the resources that were posted.
Haha!! I bet you are so right, Susan! I forgot how many links and books we gave her to read... lol

I slept all night -- probably 7.5 hours. Score!!!! Now I need to do that every night.

How did everyone else sleep?

Have a primal day, ladies!
Old 01-19-2011, 10:19 AM   #124  
Ilene the Bean

I slept very well .... I ran twice, remember, and was exhausted, sometimes cardio can have the opposite effect but last night, phew, it didn't !! I had some hot water and lime instead of tea, I just didn't feel like tea ... Took a nice bath, not too hot, that too can make me too hot to sleep Took some Magnesium Citrate too... Slept very well, we had a cat running around our heads around 2am, I now keep a water spray bottle beside the bed and spray them if they are being a PITA... I grumbled to my husband hope this doesn't prevent me from falling back asleep I was sleeping so soundly... BUT yay it didn't and slept till 6:15 .... I feel so much humaner when I sleep well....

I have an outing on Friday evening, ugh, I really don't wanna go , but my mom asked me and I feel like I should, she's not a very demanding person, so I feel obligated... It's a Pampered Chef presentation... Pampered Chef sells kitchen stuff, these home shows are a lot of fun, but the person usually cooks, bakes, throughout the presentation... There is NOTHING that is clean... I am thinking that my excuse will be that «I had a large supper and I can't possibly eat another thing...» There may be some wine too the excuse will be that I am driving.... I am so not looking forward to this evening
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 01:54 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 192/172/150

Glad you both slept well! Good news indeed!

Pampered Chef parties are hard.....so much food and talking about food and so on and so on. They do have some neat things though......I bought a small pot that you can microwave veggies in.....I use it all the time.

I'm going to make some crab cakes tonight.....I'm assuming that is primal? And some homemade mayo too.....hope it works!
wildviolets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 07:21 PM   #126  

Hey Primal Peeps,

Well, I just made the call not to go for my walk. My justification is it's 7:00 (worked late), I have yet to make dinner, have a few papers I must grade tonight, and I am going to make going to bed on the early side a bigger priority over exercising. I slept GREAT last night (glad you did too, Ilene!), but I want/need to get a couple more good nights under my belt.

One note about food -- last night after my steak and asparagus dinner and my coconut milk and raspberry dessert, I remembered that I had a bag of dried cherries. Needless to say, I ate half a bag (I guess it was about 2/3 c.) and was SO bloated all day today (also very gassy this morning - sorry TMI). It was really interesting to pin my stomach issues today specifically to the dried fruit. All my gastro issues I used to have been so minimized, and I realized today that I've sort of taken them for granted. It's NICE to wake up with a flat tummy, no gas, and no bloating. I don't want to go back to feeling puffy and gassy... ugh. More motivation that I'm eating the right way for my body.

Ilene - so sorry to hear about the Pampered Chef (I would not want to do that while I'm doing Whole30), but I bet your mom is a sweetie, and I'm sure this means a lot to her. If you follow your strategies (no wine - driving, etc.), you can do this! I would not hesitate to say my stomach was feeling a little upset if you get lots of grain filled things shoved at you. I hope there's a veggie tray or SOMETHING you can pick at.

Violet - crab cakes sound divine. I just read a crabcake thread on MDA the other day. Here's one recipe they posted that sounds AMAZING but it requires scallops too. Ummm... top those babies with tartar sauce made with homemade mayo (when I master it), maybe sub coconut milk for cream (if on whole30)... yum! Crabcakes sounds really appealing right now.

Alright girls -- off to make my taco salad and grade some papers. Hope everyone had a good day!
Old 01-19-2011, 09:12 PM   #127  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

Ilene - I think you're right about leaving me hungry. I was actually TOO full when (this is post fried chicken trip out) it came time for my usual afternoon snack (usually an apple and/or nuts) and do skipped it. Then didn't have anymore time to eat, and suddenly hit me as I left work that I could eat a cow on the hoof. LOL - no cats on my bed, dog sleeping at the foot deters them.

Today: ON TRACK! YA BABY! Breakfast: 1/2 orange, sausages, eggs, coffee. Lunch: leftover beef roast, turnips, carrots, onions, reduced beef stock for gravy - AAAOOOGA!!!! Snack time: apple. Supper: was stuck late at work. HUNGRY hit. DH said he wanted to hit the minimart (it is a good food place - this one has a real kitchen with plate specials and all) for supper. I got JUST a pork steak - yep, a big ol' hunka hunka burnin' meat. Ate it with fingers as he drove home. Smoky, spicy, little salty but not sweet at all. Might be a good choice in a pinch another day too! Filled me UP. Tonight - few nuts, hot tea as usual.

Glad ya'll sleeping better. I will be out like a light tonight. Was a hard day, and need to be up early tomorrow - we're GETTING SNOW! And I gotta work
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 05:18 PM   #128  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

This batch of mayonnaise was fabulous! I seriously could eat it with a spoon! I measured out almost a cup of olive oil, drizzled it in first and then just drizzled from the bottle. I think it emulsifies when it's good and ready ... not necessarily when the measurements are correct.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:03 PM   #129  

S/C/G: 192/172/150

Susan, what do you mean about the mayo? Do you mean you used more than a cup? Did you use a food processor or hand mixer? I really am craving some but I still have the crappy batch I made yesterday......
wildviolets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 06:18 PM   #130  
Ilene the Bean

Susan which mayo recipe do you use?

It's been a good day food and exercise wise
Old 01-20-2011, 06:56 PM   #131  

And what kind of olive oil? I'm going to try to get what you and Ilene are using.

I want yummy homemade mayo too!!!!!
Old 01-20-2011, 08:05 PM   #132  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

YES MAYO MAYO MAYO!!!

WE GOT LOADS AND LOADS OF SNOW! Well, not yankee level, but a lot for our little southern butts. supposed to be 1-3 inches - it's all of the 3 inches I bet. Makes even the ugliest of things beautiful doesn't it. I pass a junky yard on the way to work - crap everywhere - today, it's a beautiful little house, smoke coming out the chimney, white yard, no visible junkiness. Wish it could snow INSIDE my house.....

Been a good productive day at work - that always makes everything seem just a little more positive. Started out late - ate bacon, eggs, coffee at work. Then taco salad - no shell please - for lunch at work. Then nuts in afternoon. Supper - load of leftover veg and leftover hunka rosemary ckn. Desser tonight pineapple, banana, coconut milk, toasted nuts. OMG (burp), it's so good you'd think u couldn't have it. Now, where's that hot tea I slurp at every night....
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 06:31 AM   #133  

Snow = exciting!!! Well, when you're from the south, anyway! I imagine Ilene and Susan may beg to differ.

Where's Sandy? Seems she's been MIA - I'm guessing she's busy with work.

So, I slept great the last two nights (knock on wood). Though I slept soundly and just got up once or twice to pee and fell back to sleep, I did not sleep LONG enough. So, I felt kind of crushed when I woke (please... let me get two more hours). I'm going to stay committed and do even better next week -- earlier to bed and all that.

Eating has been good this week EXCEPT I had a cheat on the whole30 on Wed. night. Before I went to bed I thought I'd have a small dish of coconut milk and frozen raspberries. When I grabbed the coc milk from fridge, I spied a can of whipped cream (my pre whole30 treat) and all willpower flew away and I squirted a small dollop (couple tablespoons) on my coconut milk and topped it with a teaspoon or so of real maple syrup. This was a small sweet treat I would have occassionally (topped with a few nuts) pre whole30.

So, I had both sweetner and dairy... why?? No good reason. I didn't NEED it; I just wanted it. Do I feel bad... yeah, a little. I really wanted to do the month clean. Am I worried about it now...nope, moving on.

I don't think I'll have a problem staying clean the rest of the whole30-- we are end of month broke, so eating out won't be a problem...lol. I feel so good and healthy on the whole30 thing that it's really good incentive to stick with it.

Speaking of which -- Ilene - good luck at the dreaded pampered chef. What's your strategy? I think I would just say my tummy has been upset and I might be getting a bug - no appetite. But gosh, I know it's going to be TOUGH. But you are strong, girl!!!!

BTW, what day are we on???

Be healthy and happy Friday!

Last edited by walking2lose; 01-21-2011 at 06:32 AM.
Old 01-21-2011, 06:57 AM   #134  

I have not read the whole thread yet but I just wanted to let the Ontario folks that coconut milk is less then 80 cents a can at Food Basics and Metro this week. Time to stock up.
canadianwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 08:31 AM   #135  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianwoman View Post
I have not read the whole thread yet but I just wanted to let the Ontario folks that coconut milk is less then 80 cents a can at Food Basics and Metro this week. Time to stock up.
Wowser if it's the organic stuff I am definitely going to get some, the coconut milk I buy is like $2+ .... Thanks for the info...

I got out of the Pampered Chef party ... Firstly I have a wake to go to, the mother of a good friend of mine died this week... Secondly, I just said that I needed nothing... She's good with it because she was going with some friends of hers...