Old 01-05-2011, 12:22 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 205/201.2/145

Height: 5'5.5"

Hi all... wanted to introduce myself. I am trying out a home food delivery service (where they deliver fresh meals to your door)... today is day one. Because I cannot eat gluten, they offer a paleo program that would work for me. Did some research and found that this is pretty much exactly how I ate when I felt the best I've felt in my life. So, I am excited to try it out - especially with someone else doing most of the cooking! Also glad to find this string. I am not planning anything extreme, but will be living mostly paleo for the month of January while I am on this delivery service.

Anyway, nice to meet you all and looking forward to hearing how you all are fairing - especially those doing the Whole30. I am not interested in doing it myself but there is a lot, I believe, that I can learn by hearing about your successes and the positive things it does for your body.

Peace!
PlumBlossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 04:24 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

I'm just popping in quickly before I take a walk -- my week (ok, three days) has been crazy! I've been super tired, and I keep waking up around 3 o 4 and can't go back to sleep (even though I'm so tired). Sleep is a major component I need to work on during my whole30.

Kel- very interesting and WAY TO GO! I've been chewing gum at work too, and I didn't even think about it being a problem. Hmm...

Ilene - ditto on the macademias - OMG, I've been chowing on them. What are EAS shakes?

Everyone else - welcome, and I'm heading out to walk before dark. Crossing my fingers for a good night's sleep.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:22 PM   #33  
Ilene the Bean

PBlossom

Claire hope you had a good walk...

I'll be going to the gym later myself... food has been good today
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 05:33 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 192+,size16/ 164,12/ 150,10

Height: 5'7"

Hello, everyone, and happy new year!

Haven't been around much lately. December was kind of a "food wreck" for me. Meals were quite good and "primal", but I did way too much snacking on things loaded with sugar and wheat. By the end of the month, some of the pants that I just fit into were a bit snug and I was up about 2 pounds or so.

So I am back at it, and it feels good to not be eating junky stuff. The last couple of days, however, I've had a mild headache and been quite tired. I don't feel ill, so wonder if it's mild "carb flu". I find grain carbs terribly addictive and definitely over-ate them during December. Now I suspect my body is adjusting to them suddenly missing.

I skimmed through all the posts and it's great to see new goals and new people here! I wanted to comment on a couple of things:
  • Bone broth: I made some from our Thanksgiving carcass, much the way Ilene described. I let it simmer all afternoon and did not skim the fat.
  • Insomnia: Everyone is different, so I am only sharing my experience. When I was eating too few carbs, I had terrible insomnia, I felt anxious, and my fasting BG shot up. Once I added some "safe" carbs (a la Perfect Health Diet) like sweet potatoes and a bit of fruit, I slept better and feel better. Weight loss slowed, but that's OK for me. I am more interested in health and feeling good, and I figure the weight will drop in time. I may experiment with my ratios and food quantities just a bit, though, to see if I can speed up the weight loss while still sleeping well and feeling good.
Back in September, I spoke with my mom and step-dad about my new way of eating and the reasons for it (pre-diabetes). Well, unknown to me, they read GCBC and implemented some of the primal/paleo eating principles. I am very excited for them, especially because:
  • Step-dad, who has always had bad cholesterol that does not seem to respond well to medication, had his best lipid profile ever. Triglycerides really dropped and his doctor was so impressed. If the numbers are as good at his next check-up, he will go off medication with the doctor's blessing.
  • Mom has bad feet. She has had foot surgery and has always had terrible pain, despite special shoes, orthotics, constant visits to a podiatrist. She was thinking she might need more surgery. She just emailed me this week to let me know that the pain vanished several weeks ago and has been gone since. Diet? We think so, it's the only thing that has changed.
I do believe this way of eating is so beneficial. I look forward to sharing this journey with you all in 2011!
sf40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:34 PM   #35  
Ilene the Bean

sf, that is great news!! I'm feeling good about this way of eating too ...

Today I almost caved into a sugar craving..... just ... one.... chocolate....it won't hurt..... there are some left in the kitchen at the office... but I ate my apple and water and walked away ...

Day 4, checked off and feeling grrreat!!
Old 01-06-2011, 02:00 AM   #36  

S/C/G: 247.6/236.0/135

Height: 5 ft 3 inches

It was all good today. Lunchbox had last slice of "Joe" in it, plus some extra veg, a banana, and some assorted nuts. At one point I was snacking (my 3PM tradition) and my boss said "what r u eating." Then when I told her she said "nevermind." Musta been hoping for some salty sugar snappers or something.

Tonight we cooked egg drop soup and I made the custard from SOG's website - it was plenty good. Not good like ooey gooey desserts, but a nice, not too sweet finish to egg drop soup.

Lost 2.8 lbs already Grok on! Hope to start walking closer to spring after my weight comes down a little. My knees have hurt since I put on the last 20 lbs. Soon as I'm back to that point, I'll get my walk on and a little more primal exercise as I'm ready. I already find myself dancing around the house more. I'm sure Grok would be up for that too!
Arkansas Kel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:07 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 192/172/150

You all are doing so well! That's wonderful!

sf40 that is so interesting about your parents. When I get time, I want to put all the research I have done together in a blog or website so that I can explain it better to my family and friends. I have a hard time explaining it right now but i know that i am doing the right things for my health.

It's funny because i used to be a big magazine fan, Body & Soul, Health, Natural Health, etc. Now I can't read them because it just seems to be a load of crap.

I am having sleep issues too Ilene....<sigh> but I'm not going to let it deter me. I'm finally home from vacation and going grocery shopping for all my primal goodies and going to make a batch of Brasco Broth. (saw it in a book while I was away and it looked so healthy and tasty.)

Have a good one ladies and those on the whole30 good luck and keep up the good work!
Denise
wildviolets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:25 PM   #38  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkansas Kel View Post
It was all good today. Lunchbox had last slice of "Joe" in it, plus some extra veg, a banana, and some assorted nuts. At one point I was snacking (my 3PM tradition) and my boss said "what r u eating." Then when I told her she said "nevermind." Musta been hoping for some salty sugar snappers or something.

Tonight we cooked egg drop soup and I made the custard from SOG's website - it was plenty good. Not good like ooey gooey desserts, but a nice, not too sweet finish to egg drop soup.

Lost 2.8 lbs already Grok on! Hope to start walking closer to spring after my weight comes down a little. My knees have hurt since I put on the last 20 lbs. Soon as I'm back to that point, I'll get my walk on and a little more primal exercise as I'm ready. I already find myself dancing around the house more. I'm sure Grok would be up for that too!
Great job, Kel!

I went looking for the custard recipe... is this the one? Looks scrumptious! Did you put the bananas in? Honestly the only fruit I've eaten since I've been eating this way is berries, apples, and I think an orange. I don't even buy bananas these days, but this looks like a good treat.

Thanks!
Old 01-06-2011, 04:28 PM   #39  

Also, Kel, would you please post your egg drop recipe on the paleo/primal recipe thread? Maybe the custard too... I really need some more entree recipes if anyone has any to share.

The everydaypaleo site has some good looking recipes too.

I think this weekend I will sit down and really organize my meals for next week - going to read some recipes!
Old 01-06-2011, 06:25 PM   #40  

My husband is working late, so I'm indulging in a little internet time. Kel got me reading over at SOG's site, and then I decided to take a bit of a gander at Sarah's Everyday Paleo.

This is SO motivating to me. Organization and sleep are my achilles heels - I want to do better with both because conquering both will reduce stress and make me healthier,happier, etc. I'm going to print this out, but here is a little bit of what she has to say about being an organized paleo person (click on link for more):

Ok, now that your pantry and fridge are stocked, let’s talk about preparedness! Set aside an hour on the weekend to plan you meals. Think about your week ahead and start gathering your “go to” meals. For example, my Tuesday afternoons are consistently crazy thanks to kids activities and life in general so I know that Tuesday night is always lettuce taco night. I can make this meal with my eyes closed and I usually prepare it in the afternoon and have everything all ready to eat before dinner rolls around. Thursday’s are usually my soup day or slow cooker day because I am usually away working on my book or my blog and I need to have dinner ready to go for the family. I always make enough on my slow cooker days for leftovers, in fact I always try to make enough of everything I make for leftovers so that John and I have something prepared for our hectic lunch schedules on the following day. Use your weekend to shop. Nothing sucks more than trying to shop on a weeknight when everyone else is doing the same thing, your kids are cranky and so are you, it’s dark, rainy and cold, and all you really want is a glass of wine and a chicken pot pie. Don’t let yourself go there. Instead, shop when you are clear headed and fresh with shopping list in hand. Being prepared gives you a sense of freedom, capability, and no gosh darn excuses to eat crappy food!

It's all so true and just good to have the reminders! I'm also going to print the shopping list for my fridge.

Hope y'all find it helpful too!
Old 01-06-2011, 09:35 PM   #41  
Ilene the Bean

Yes, I have to be more prepared too, especially in the morning because I end up having an EAS shake (someone asked what that was, EAS is the company name for Body For Life, it's a protein shake) it's extremely processed and not Whole30... There's the saying «Fail to plan, plan to fail» so we always have to think, think, think, it really is exhausting at times, but well worth it... That is a great looking soup recipe I will definitely make soon!!

Day 5 was another good food day and I ran 5k HIIT, it's all good...

I miss my glass of wine tonight while watching Grey's Anatomy but it really isn't too bad...
Old 01-06-2011, 10:11 PM   #42  

walking2lose: Yep, that's the recipe. My only variant was a little vanilla, sprinkled tops with cinnamon and nutmeg, and baked with little cups sitting in water bath like you would bake a regular custard. Came out yummo. Not as sweet as gork custard - but was quite a treat for us.

Egg drop soup - I just used homemade broth (the good kind that looks like jello when you fridge it), a little fresh ginger, salt, pepper, and a julienned green onion, 3 eggs. About a quart of broth since I was cooking for 2. Boil the heck out of all of it. Whip the eggs up. Slowly pour eggs in little stream into boiling broth. I don't get the cool little ribbons so much, I'm not that good. Then we put a little leftover chicken in bite pieces in a bowl and poured over the hot hot soup. It was yummo!
Old 01-06-2011, 10:17 PM   #43  

ok, forgive the double post - the first was to share my eatin' this one's to share my accountability. I SLIPPED TODAY. Ok, not that bad, and I didn't land face first in the doughnuts either. Breakfast was sausage patty X 2, 1/2 apple, 2 scrambled eggs (nothing but s/p added). Lunch was baked chicken, broccoli and corn on the cob at our cafeteria. I was pretty good, the cheese was offered with broccoli but I got mine without. Corn was just salt and pepper. I know I know CORN. But it was only a little mini ear. And I kept it just corn. Snacks - nuts and a pear. Supper - was starving when got off work. Afternoon got busy and missed a snacktime. Had a Hardees LC burger - was shocked they put ketchup on it. Was so sweet I nearly gagged. Ate it out of actual hunger (not something I"m used to). Then bedtime snack - had last sog custard. I'm not upset with self, as it wasn't fries, burger on bun and a shake, but I did slip just a smidge today. Must pack own lunch EVERYDAY.
Old 01-07-2011, 06:55 AM   #44  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 10:07 AM   #45  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmb60 View Post
Good morning!
A good morning to you Susan and what a good morning it is I feel extremely good this morning, my jeans slipped right on like a perfect fitting glove ... I haven't stepped on the scale since the 2nd of January and it is the most difficult thing to do during this Whole30 challenge but I feel empowered and in control and a bit devilish today...

How is everyone else doing today?

Last edited by Ilene; 01-07-2011 at 10:08 AM.