Old 11-18-2010, 07:27 AM   #121  
Last Timer

S/C/G: 175/150/127.5

Height: 5' 4"

Ilene,

I have a little problem with my neck as does my husband. He has disc problems, I just get an ache when I am in front of the computer very long. So I was looking to maybe strengthen it a little. The contraption is for the flab under my chin. Would like to avoid a face lift not that I have any money for that.

The first Slow Burn gym exercise is that neck machine and I just wondered if many gyms had outlawed for some reason.

Oh the cake...... thanks MJ

Last edited by sparky1946; 11-18-2010 at 07:58 AM.
sparky1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 08:16 AM   #122  
Ilene the Bean

Sandy, I'b be leary of that neck machine and the contraption, specially if it give you a sore neck... Just plain old fashions neck rolls and stretching after being at the computer for a long time would be a better bet IMO... As for your husband's disc problem , I would not do anything unless authorised by a doctor or physio therapist ...

The scale was nice this morning down a coupla pounds :
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 11:04 AM   #123  
Last Timer

Okie, Dokie, Coach
Old 11-18-2010, 03:02 PM   #124  
Ilene the Bean

You're so cute!
Old 11-18-2010, 04:41 PM   #125  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Hi everyone!

I've been traveling and am now back in Florida for a few weeks. I meant to report on my doctor appointment and the results of my "new" diet. In case you don't remember (and why would you?) the doctor wanted to try and reduce my LDL and overall cholesterol even though my HDL and triglycerides are really good.

He cut a lot of fat out of my diet by requiring low-fat meats (ie skinless chicken breast, arghgh) and fish. I had not been particularly trying to eat a lot of fat previously, but just eating paleo ended up at around 50-60% most days. The "new" diet also had me eating oatmeal/oat bran for breakfast, no fat yogurt and cottage cheese, two fruits a day (including at least one apple or one pear), a square of 85% chocolate and 10-15 almonds.

I ended up just staying flat with the weight, but was anxious to see if my cholesterol had improved. The worst thing about his diet was that it caused a resurgence in acid reflux. I had gotten off all acid reflux medication (Prevacid and then omprezole) about a year previously with the paleo diet. I was really worried that I might start being really hungry all the time but that did not happen -- probably because it was still pretty low in carbs.

You won't believe what happened. I go into my appointment fasting, as I was expecting him to order cholesterol blood tests. I had, by that time, been on his diet for nearly 2 months.

He's looking at his computer, reviewing my old bloodwork that we had reviewed when I was there two months ago ... well, I see your HDL is 71, that's really good. And your triglycerides are really low (I think they were 64 or 67). So your LDL of 130 is probably genetic and my diet probably wouldn't make much of a difference.

Yup ... I just spent 2 months on a diet I don't like just to hear him say what I told him when I started it. I am not a shy person. I was quite clear when we discussed the change in diet that I was not in favor of it unless it would have a good shot at lowering my cholesterol.

So ... he is going to give me a powdered proprietary blend of red yeast rice and phytosterols to take twice a day which is part of a clinical trial he is doing. I'm going to give that a shot but going back to paleo. So, bottom line, I have no clue as to whether the changed diet resulted in a better lipid profile and now I guess I'll never know.

BTW, just saw the following article about how fats get a bad rap at an ADA Symposium. They still don't like sat fats, but still, it's amazing that fat is no longer the whipping boy it once was. Here is the link.

Last edited by CJZee; 11-18-2010 at 04:59 PM.
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 06:00 PM   #126  
Last Timer

Default For crying out loud....

I don't believe it. Doesn't it just drive you nuts? Did you say anything to him? Like what the heck? Or were you like me and just smile and say "oh, you are so brilliant... sigh..." that's what I did when the guy forgot about all that was recommended the prior visit and told me to keep doing what I was doing. I was supposed to be thinking about a medicinal option. No mention of it. "you're doing great!"

I would really check into the concoction he is giving you, for "his" study. It reminds me when I went to the dentist in the 90s. The guy says "you have periodontal disease". I said "Oh, that's a shame, I was interested in veneers". That was the last I heard about periodontal disease and he did a ****ty job on my veneers. No dentist since has mentioned PD either.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:17 PM   #127  
Ilene the Bean

Doctors don't remember people from one appointment to the other sometimes sheesh
Old 11-18-2010, 09:25 PM   #128  

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1946 View Post
I don't believe it. Doesn't it just drive you nuts? Did you say anything to him? Like what the heck? Or were you like me and just smile and say "oh, you are so brilliant... sigh..." that's what I did when the guy forgot about all that was recommended the prior visit and told me to keep doing what I was doing. I was supposed to be thinking about a medicinal option. No mention of it. "you're doing great!"

I would really check into the concoction he is giving you, for "his" study. It reminds me when I went to the dentist in the 90s. The guy says "you have periodontal disease". I said "Oh, that's a shame, I was interested in veneers". That was the last I heard about periodontal disease and he did a ****ty job on my veneers. No dentist since has mentioned PD either.
I did tell him I preferred my paleo diet, and he got a little cross and said his diet probably helped some with the cholesterol, although who knows since he put the blood tests off until I'm a month into this supplement he has. Normally I would have been more firm but I wanted to get some of this concoction to see if it will help.

Also, knowing myself and with the acid reflux coming back I knew I wasn't going to stay on his diet for the long term anyway. So, I thought to myself, "CJ, do you want to get some of this stuff or do you want to p*ss him off, it's one or the other." It's sad but true that we have to make choices like this sometimes.

Last edited by CJZee; 11-19-2010 at 04:50 AM.
Old 11-18-2010, 09:28 PM   #129  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
Doctors don't remember people from one appointment to the other sometimes sheesh
You know, Ilene, I understand that doctors see a lot of people and can't remember everyone's particulars. But I was *crystal* clear when I first met with him that I was happy with my existing diet and had no interest in changing it unless it might lower my LDL cholesterol.

So why on earth would he put me on this diet and then negate the whole thing 7 weeks later?
Old 11-18-2010, 09:41 PM   #130  
Last Timer

Ilene,

My physical therapist daughter said the same thing about doctors not remembering people. But they are prescribing life altering changes. Sometimes medicine, sometimes diet. If they cannot take the time to write notes in your chart, how can we trust them to recommend based on a thorough knowledge of the patient.

From now on, I go to the doctor only to get tests done that I WILL INTERPRET. I take nothing, until I DO THE RESEARCH.

I am sorry but I get so mad.....
Old 11-19-2010, 05:46 AM   #131  

S/C/G: 134.4/149/114

Height: 5'2.5"

Default Primal Newcomer

Hi Guys --

I've been reading your threads this week after hearing about Primal Blueprint. I've ordered the book and am waiting for its arrival but in the meantime I'm trying to veer low carb.

About three years ago I lost about 30 lbs of post-chemo weight doing South Beach and have been able to maintain this loss and at times even get within 5 lbs of my final goal. But then my sweetaholic tendencies take over.

I am unable to moderate when it comes to candy and ice cream and pastries. Once I get a taste I have to keep going until I am sick. Been this way since I was a kid.

I am hoping with your support I can finally push through to my final goal and sort through all the skinny clothes I've kept all these years and decide which ones I want to keep and which ones are just way too passee. In a way hanging onto these outfits through all these years represents my promise to myself to get back to my thinner real self.

Primal Blueprint caught my eye when it was mentioned in the paper in connection with Chronic Cardio. I am a jogger and exerciser and often wonder why all the time I put into this doesn't always pay off. But I've been too afraid to stop for fear of what would happen.

Another thing I've seen mentioned here is daily weigh-ins and how crazy they can make you. I have deliberately stayed off the scale the past 3 weeks (post-Halloween) and when I finally got on yesterday it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I can be on program one day and if it doesn't show the next day on the scales I can get so bummed out I almost can't help going off program.

Please wish me luck and help me see it through after so many false starts.

Thanks

Maria
TinyDancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 06:50 AM   #132  
Last Timer

Welcome TinyDancer...

I am one of those that needs to step on the scale daily and measure my fasting blood glucose every morning and track every bite that goes into my mouth. But I am not nearly as close to goal as you are. All this is now a habit and keeps me going. As soon as I hit one ten-pound goal I am not satisfied and start looking at the next one. Maintenance is probably going to be hard for me, when I start backing off of this.

I have three months of a downward trend. I put the daily weights on a chart and can see the trend line which encourages me when I gain a couple. Charting carbs daily, lets me compare what I eat to the Blood Glucose level the next day.

We are all very different here on our approaches. Some posts on MDA state that they have no idea what they are doing wrong. I have a definite idea what I do, right and wrong. No kidding anyone, especially myself.

Good Luck to YOU!!
Old 11-19-2010, 08:29 AM   #133  

Thumbs up Thanks, Spanky ...

I appreciate your encouragement. I agree about the tracking but have a few questions...

What is MDA?

How do you find out your daily blood glucose levels?

I posted a picture to my profile but it doesn't display, maybe 'cause I'm a "Junior Member"?

Thanks,

Maria
Old 11-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #134  

Red face Sorry, Sparky

Just realized I called you "Spanky" -- my step-daughter's email nickname
Old 11-19-2010, 09:41 AM   #135  
Last Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyDancer View Post
Just realized I called you "Spanky" -- my step-daughter's email nickname
There was/is another Spanky that visits the forum occasionally..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TinyDancer View Post
I appreciate your encouragement. I agree about the tracking but have a few questions...

What is MDA? marksdailyapple.com the author of Primal Blueprint

How do you find out your daily blood glucose levels? I had a pre-diabetes diagnoses in Sept. and bought a blood glucose meter. Freestyle Lite that does not really hurt (I am a big baby). I am doing preventative testing and find the lower the carbs the lower the reading. Not quite "normal" yet.

I posted a picture to my profile but it doesn't display, maybe 'cause I'm a "Junior Member"? Could be, I don't remember if I had the same issue.

Thanks,

Maria

Last edited by sparky1946; 11-19-2010 at 09:43 AM.