3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   Primal/Paleo-ish in October (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/213784-primal-paleo-ish-october.html)

Ilene 10-01-2010 09:07 AM

Primal/Paleo-ish in October

Hello Gang :wave:

Whassup for October? I need to stay on track more vigilantly :yes: ... I gained one lb this month :frypan: ... When I look back on the first of each month, I lose one, gain one every other month *sigh* ... Will it ever stop?

Mikkijoe 10-01-2010 11:37 AM

October marks the month where I crack down even more. Watching nuts and cheese, and tracking often to make sure I am on track. I hope to lose 12 pounds this month. Actually I goal is to hit 8, and I really hope to hit 15.....so thats where it is! But then again I have alot to lose.

Tasks for October

1. Measurements weekely, so I dont become a slave to the evil black box in the bathroom
2. Tracking at least 4 times a week to make sure I am in target ranges
3. Supplements of Vitamin D, and maybe Omega 3 (this is a huge task for me)
4. Read more about 3:6 ratio and know the ratio of common foods I eat
5. Get into the habit of packing my lunch
6. 18 hour IF once a week

sparky1946 10-01-2010 12:15 PM

October is the month where I cut off a leg to get down into the 150s :(

walking2lose 10-01-2010 05:42 PM

Sandy - no leg cutting!! You will get there!!!

At a super quick glance, I thought Ilene's goals had something to do with virginity - oy!

I am SO very happy it's FRIDAY - what a week!

Heading out for a walk... will post Oct goals later.

Still wishing we had a "like" button like Facebook.

MaddieD 10-02-2010 02:20 AM

Have been mia due to sick kids and an idiot husband. :mad: After 20 years together you'd think he'd learn from his mistakes...

ANYWAY...Sandy...read about your blood glucose levels. :( My father developed type 2 diabetes in his late 50's and after losing a bunch of weight,was able to take a pill form of insulin. Not really what you want to hear but I agree with the others...don't worry too much about it. I'd even do another test to confirm. As for cutting off your leg...I'm ready to cut off my "girls" and pare down my butt to make it to onderland! Anybody else?!

October goals: -do the Nordictrack ski machine twice a week
-do the exercise bike once a week
-walk 2 km everyday
-up my water to 10 glasses a day
-reach 199 by Halloween

srmb60 10-02-2010 08:04 AM

I hilited this in GCBC yesterday ...

... cells have the option of using fatty acids or glucose for fuel, but when surplus glucose is available, as signalled by rising insulin or blood sugar levels, the fatty acids are swept into the fat tissue for later use.

This notion has been a revelation for me!
Given its druthers, the body will use that easy fuel first, driving insulin and setting off a spiral of hormonal response that wears us out!
Even though my body has been doing this for many years, I'm confident that I can eat the foods that will help to make it better. Although we may never be teenaged athletes, women "our" age can be much healthier than is the norm. No matter what we've done thus far!

sparky1946 10-02-2010 09:06 AM

Finally...

sparky1946 10-02-2010 01:42 PM

Now I can concentrate on progress. My goals:

1. Monitor blood sugar response to meals.
2. Set-up my computer workstation on our treadmill and develop barefoot schedule.
3. Walk daily and bike daily (on my new birthday bike, thanks DH)
4. Get through GCBC.
5. Resolve concerns regarding pre-diabetes with Dr. and finalize treatment program as needed.
6. Plan another 20 gram challenge at month-end to get to low 150s.

PS. My doc suggested I should weigh between 120 and 130. Yikes...

walking2lose 10-02-2010 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky1946 (Post 3505132)
Finally...

LIKE!!!!!!! :D

MaddieD 10-02-2010 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky1946 (Post 3505132)
Finally...

So which leg was it...left or right? ;)

Congrats!!!

sparky1946 10-02-2010 07:52 PM

Neither leg ...

I think the combination of raisins and almonds plus tummy ache then 300 carb grams of that crappy orange glucose tolerance drink really through my old body for a loop. It is shocking how one reacts to carbs after a while. I thought this might be the case but I was so depressed with the pre-diabetes possibility and being stuck for two weeks that I wasn't sure.

I broke my IF with a big, juicy ribeye and cabbage to celebrate.

I am not going to have wine except to celebrate something. I think that it really messes with the blood sugar but I do not have my meter yet so I am not sure.

Do you know that you can get different skins to go on your meters? Like it's cool to have the latest glucose test meter and skin. It is an epidemic and it is sad. :(

CJZee 10-03-2010 07:40 AM

Hi everyone ... back from my Midwestern trip to visit relatives and friends! Sandy ... congratulations on your weight milestone, and so sorry about the diabetes.

I do not have diabetes, BUT two years ago I had one fasting blood sugar of 103, and my doctor very casually told me that if I tested over 100 one more time I would be called "pre-diabetic". He told me I was definitely on my way to diabetes (which runs in my family, even the skinny people.) He acted like it was a foregone conclusion! I decided then and there that I would fight this thing and I have.

That was one of several things which kick-started this journey. I bought a blood-glucose monitor and started Atkins (originally). My blood glucose plummeted and now is in the 60's or 70's fasting and my A1c is 4.8 (you should have him measure your A1c). I still measure my blood glucose frequently and note what spikes it (oranges do it), but now it rarely goes over 100 even after meals.

You may have to tweak your diet somewhat as you seem very low carb. Some people do better with the blood sugar when then average in the 100-carb range, you will have to experiment. Also, I really like the Blood Sugar 101 website for basic info. Here is the link.

Good luck to you and hugs. CJ

sparky1946 10-03-2010 08:53 AM

Oh CJ,:hug:

Thanks so much for sharing this with me. I was hoping that someone else had had the same experience. My doc has not "labeled" me quite yet. I will ask about the A1C next appointment.

How soon after you eat do you test to determine if your blood sugar spikes?
Do you test occasionally in the morning to check your fasting BG or are you going by your doctor visit results? Did you have the glucose tolerance test or does your doctor not prescribe to it as Susan suggests?

I might be asking you many questions going forward, hope you don't mind.

CJZee 10-03-2010 01:30 PM

How soon after you eat do you test to determine if your blood sugar spikes?
When I first started, I tested at both one and two-hours after eating. Occasionally I'll test three hours after eating just to see if there is some delayed action and how quickly my blood sugar comes down. Now I test usually first thing in the morning and occasionally one or two hours after meals just to make sure there is nothing strange going on. I have been doing this over a year, so I pretty much know how my body reacts.

Do you test occasionally in the morning to check your fasting BG or are you going by your doctor visit results?
I often test first thing in the morning. Going to the doctor once in a while does not provide enough data points to really see how you are doing and to make changes in your own diet. PLUS - your post-prandial (after meals) blood sugar is very important and doctor visits don't record that. Even the HbA1c is an AVERAGE and doesn't record spikes. Remember, you are your own doctor in many respects. My doctor has been amazed and floored at my turnaround in the blood sugar arena. (And weight loss also.) Many doctors seem to just throw their hands up and go into management mode when someone is diagnosed with an illness.

Did you have the glucose tolerance test or does your doctor not prescribe to it as Susan suggests?
I asked my doctor about that test, and he said it wasn't done much anymore. For me, it is more important to see the results of eating "real" food in "real" life. If you look at the website I linked to, she gives you a testing protocol so you can see what actually affects your blood glucose. I would also recommend your doctor do the HbA1c blood test which gives you an idea of where your blood sugar averages over the last 2-3 months.

sparky1946 10-03-2010 01:43 PM

Thank you so much for your response and the link...I am furiously reading it especially interested in the history of diagnosing women and the higher ranges that were used for so long. My mom was told she was pre-diabetic and when I have answered in health histories that my mom died of a heart attack and she was pre-diabetes, doctors have said there is no such thing. Pre-diabetes has returned, and rightly so, as a diagnosis with most using the term "Impaired Glucose Tolerance" (IGT). Which explains my mom's "no such thing" diagnosis.

I am beginning to think "Thank God" for this discovery as it seems many have to get to the point of organ damage, etc. to get correctly diagnosed. I am going to do as you have done eating-wise with even more emphasis on making this a forever way of eating.

Thank you for your help...