Old 08-10-2010, 11:20 AM   #1  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

Height: 5'6

Default I know, I know....no comparison

Hey all,
I'm on a low carb diet-well, its more like a "nothing white or processed" diet and I feel great. It's been a week yesterday. I've lost 3lbs. My husband? 10lbs! YES, 10LBS!
Now, I know I shouldn't compare. The man is 6'2 and men lose faster than women. I know its because I got him off of soda and sugar (he used to snack on cereal at night)....but I'm bumming and I can't help it!!!!!!

I just needed to throw that out there in the universe. Thanks for listening.

A
dietcokehead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 12:30 PM   #2  

3 LBS IS AWESOME!!! Men always always always lose faster..
Keep going, you are doing great!!!
What diet are you following?
stocco88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 01:41 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 310/229.5/200

Height: 5'4

Yes Yes I am so jealous of my bf aswell...when I lose 3lbs he loses 8lbs and bla bla always the same, but HEY we are doing great!

GIRLS FOR PRESIDENT! Haha
RisenDestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:19 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Height: 5'4"

I hear ya! Of course I had to get on the scale this moring after just 2 days since the last weigh in, I lost .2 pounds--he lost 6.8! BUT he did eat a whole bowl of salted buttered popcorn before his weigh in on Sunday, so I guess that means something......for some reason, and I know better, I wanted to see a 3 pound loss after just two days....why do I do that? And why do I compare just like you?
Mikkijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:17 AM   #5  
Jiggle, BE GONE WITH YOU!

S/C/G: 256/185/170

We need to stop comparing!!! Lets start a non comparison revolution. I still haven't lost a g.d. pound.
dietcokehead98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:49 PM   #6  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dietcokehead98 View Post
....but I'm bumming and I can't help it!!!!!!
Yes, you can help it. For that matter, only you can help it.

It's entirely normal to feel this way, but you can do something about it. If you believe that your thoughts and feelings are outside your own control, then they always will be. If you realize that your emotions and thoughts are like horses, and you have the reigns, you will be more able to change the course of them.

Do you want to control your emotions, or do you want your emotions to control you?

I strongly believe that more weight loss attempts are abandoned because of disappointment and frustration than because of actual failure (I'm losing, but I want to lose more, and if I can't what's the point?).

Comparing yourself to someone who is losing faster is going to increase those negative feelings. If you make weight loss unpleasant enough for yourself, you're going to give up.

Men do tend to lose weight faster, though it's not always true - When hubby and I were going to TOPS together, I often lost more than he did, and he'd get frustrated because he knew that men were supposed to lose faster than women. That he wasn't losing faster than every woman in the group really bummed him out. It wasn't the only factor, but I think it was part of the reason he quit and persuaded me to quit with him, because "we can do it at home."

It only illustrates that anyone (even men) who believe they "should be doing better, but can't," can go down that frustration path that leads to giving up entirely rather than coming to terms with what they are able to do.

It's easy to fall into the "it's so unfair" mindset, but while it's normal, it's also counterproductive, so you've got to find ways to get out of that trap. Anything you can do to stay out of that mindset (or give yourself permission to be in it for only a very limited time period) will help you in the long run.

I am not saying that you're wrong to feel this way. I'm just saying that you can choose to feel differently - with practice. Only you can tell if you're reaching a point in which your negative thoughts and emotions are interfering with your ability to suceed, but be aware of the possibility so that you can recognize it and choose not to go down that path.

Last edited by kaplods; 08-11-2010 at 12:55 PM.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:27 PM   #7  
Eat Small

S/C/G: 317/232/157

Height: 5' 6"

My husband can not only eat 4 times more than me but he can lose more weight than me in the same time period. I use to get more upset about it, but now I am use to it and just grit my teeth once in awhile. I never want this to become a competition between us, it's something we are doing together and I do grasp that men have more muscle than women and muscle needs more calories to maintain. Still....it's enough to make me heave sighs now and then of pure resigned jealousy.
elisaannh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:36 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 140/136/120

Height: 5'2.5"

Not only does my husband lose weight faster, his type A personality gives him iron-clad will power. He started his low carb diet Sept. a year ago. He eats prime meat, eggs, bacon, cheese, vegetables, and occasionally nuts. He lost 26 pounds in 3 months and has kept it off. He has never cheated once since he started last year. NOT A SINGLE CRUMB OF ANY FORBIDDEN FOOD HAS PASSED HIS LIPS!!! At his job every day people bring in cakes, doughnuts, all kinds of junk. He says he still wants it, he just tells himself no. He doesn't understand why I can't just decide to be healthy and never look back. On this one issue, food, I wish I had a type A personality!!
ilovemylife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #9  

Default I feel your frustration!

My husband weighed in at the gym on Wednesday night. He's lost 16lbs in 3 weeks. Me? I've lost nothing. Does it annoy me to no end? Yes. But I realize that he has a lot more weight to lose than me and that men lose faster, but I still couldn't help but feel that twinge of jealousy when he told me. I didn't let it show though. I AM happy for him! I just have to keep pushing myself so I can see some changes myself!
mrsslade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:03 PM   #10  

Height: 5'5

It's so annoying when they do that.
cherrypie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:54 PM   #11  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Ya, it's annoying but ...

Quote:
If you realize that your emotions and thoughts are like horses, and you have the reigns, you will be more able to change the course of them ...
Yes, you are in control; you can choose how you react and respond to what others say or DO ... you can choose to be happy or sad about it ~ pain or pleasure -- you pick!

Just be happy for him, motivated by him, inspired by him; watch him -- and do what he does ...

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 10-08-2010 at 04:56 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote