Old 09-02-2010, 03:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 210/186/140

Default Going out for my B. day what eat that is Low carb?

Hello everyone,

Sept 5th is my birthday and I confused about were to go I was thinking of a all you can eat seafood place or something. I just started back on eating low carbs. I was doing Medifast but it got too costly for me and the fact of falling off the wagon. So I'm eating regular food and staying within 1000 cal and fat no more than 35 - 40g and carbs 65 or under. I have 35 pounds to lose.

start weight 180
goal 35 pounds
demetrismoore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:38 PM   #2  

Height: 5'3

Can you go to a nicer restaurant that you might not normally choose and have an interesting meal and leave the all you can eat restaurants in your past?

Heck on a low carb plan you can go to a steak house and not order sides -concentrate on your steak.
2Bees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 03:26 AM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

I know a lot of people consider buffets trouble spots - and I did too for a very long time, but I actually now have more luck with buffets than standard restaurants (because there tend to be more low-carb options on buffets).

I did have to stop thinking of them as "All you can eat," places, and I had to have quite a bit of practice with them (for a long time, I planned ahead and even wrote a list of what I was intending to have).

It seems around here, salad bars are disappearing, and only the buffets still have decent low-carb choices (not every buffet does - pizza and italian buffets are horrible for low-carbers).

Hubby and I went out to eat with his grandparents to an oriental buffet on Sunday, and I was concerned that I'd gain, but I chose really low carb choices, and did great (I did have a two day water weight gain from the sodium - AND the fact that it was TOM for me), but all 8 pounds that I gained (that's pretty typical for my TOM - even if I'm not eating restaurant or asian food) were gone within 48 hours.

I chose steamed crab legs and steamed crawfish. I also had a couple bacon-wrapped shrimp, a big pile of sauteed green beans, small dabs of some of the veggie stirfries and a bowl of hot and sour soup. They had a self-serve hibachi grill too (you choose the raw meat and veggie ingredients, and give them to the hibachi chef to saute on a flat top griddle). If there hadn't been low-carb choices on the buffet, I would have gone with the hibachi.

One tip I do use with buffets - I learned from my sister, a very picky eater. I don't mind food touching on my plate, but I pretend that I do - so I leave at least an inch border around every piece of food I put on my plate - so that nothing touches. Then when I'm done with my food, I don't go up again unless I'm still hungry - and if I do, for the second plate I increase the size of the plate's "no-food zone" to about a 2 inches borders around every dollop of food (and I try to make the dollops half the size).

Works pretty well.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 04:36 AM   #4  
from Here to There...

S/C/G: 256.2 lbs/241.2 lbs/120 lbs

Height: 5'4"

Wow Kaplods - you've got buffets down to a science! Am definitely gong to 'borrow' your/your sister's space on the plate idea. I find that not only are salad bars disappearing, the ones that remain are beginning to be all about pre-mixed salads with dressing. There are very few plain plain veg left in them.

For low carb, I usually find the seafood places a good bet; they'll usually substitute the potato or rice for additional veg when I ask.
SeaWave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:41 AM   #5  
IR/PCOS/Pre-Diabetic

S/C/G: 310/*ticker*/150

Height: 5'4"

For my birthday, my husband took me out to a steak place. I find that I can eat low-carb just about anywhere (the hardest restaurant for that is a Pho place -- all they serve is noodle soup!). For my special dinner I had a nice steak, a salad, and a side dish of veggies. I had a glass of wine, and "three bites of bliss" of my husband's desert. (the 3 bites thing allows me to have 'treat foods' occasionally, but makes me REALLY slow down and focus on their taste, texture and scent -- I'm only getting three bites!)

I also like Japanese steakhouse places, where they cook it all in front of you. Seafood is good, too. Even a nice Tex-Mex place can work, if you get meat and veg fajitas and eschew the stuff that's not on your plan.
synger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

But if you are doing low carb, you should certainly be eating more than 1000 calories -- that will stall wt. loss.

You can have a nice salad, steak ( or any kind of meat you want as long as it's not breaded or doused in bbq sauce), and maybe some red wine or a cocktail with diet soda. Have fun and happy birthday!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:29 AM   #7  

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I know a lot of people consider buffets trouble spots - and I did too for a very long time, but I actually now have more luck with buffets than standard restaurants (because there tend to be more low-carb options on buffets).

I did have to stop thinking of them as "All you can eat," places, and I had to have quite a bit of practice with them (for a long time, I planned ahead and even wrote a list of what I was intending to have).

It seems around here, salad bars are disappearing, and only the buffets still have decent low-carb choices (not every buffet does - pizza and italian buffets are horrible for low-carbers).

Hubby and I went out to eat with his grandparents to an oriental buffet on Sunday, and I was concerned that I'd gain, but I chose really low carb choices, and did great (I did have a two day water weight gain from the sodium - AND the fact that it was TOM for me), but all 8 pounds that I gained (that's pretty typical for my TOM - even if I'm not eating restaurant or asian food) were gone within 48 hours.

I chose steamed crab legs and steamed crawfish. I also had a couple bacon-wrapped shrimp, a big pile of sauteed green beans, small dabs of some of the veggie stirfries and a bowl of hot and sour soup. They had a self-serve hibachi grill too (you choose the raw meat and veggie ingredients, and give them to the hibachi chef to saute on a flat top griddle). If there hadn't been low-carb choices on the buffet, I would have gone with the hibachi.

One tip I do use with buffets - I learned from my sister, a very picky eater. I don't mind food touching on my plate, but I pretend that I do - so I leave at least an inch border around every piece of food I put on my plate - so that nothing touches. Then when I'm done with my food, I don't go up again unless I'm still hungry - and if I do, for the second plate I increase the size of the plate's "no-food zone" to about a 2 inches borders around every dollop of food (and I try to make the dollops half the size).

Works pretty well.
Wow, congrads on your weight loss and it seems like you do have it together I'm going to use that strategy. When I said all you can eat I wasn't thinking I'm going to go there and eat up the place as the first response poster said something to that effect. I think buffets gives you something to conversate about hang around talk etc.... and I'm kinda use to going with my parents before all the kids moved on their own.

I know what I'm here to do and that is lose weight to feel better about myself. THank you so much. I'm going to load up on veggies I'm thinking about going to a seafood buffet on the ocean front so its going to be a lot of crabs, shrimp etc....
Old 09-03-2010, 10:33 AM   #8  

Walktolose

Thank you so much I don't want my weight to stall do you think I should be eating more? but wouldn't that up my carbs? how can I avoid the stall. I do remember stalling for 2 weeks and I got real discourage.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:54 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Kaplods-
Great tips on the Asian buffet! Heading there for supper with these strategies in hand.

Last edited by Karen925; 09-03-2010 at 06:42 PM.
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 08:31 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by synger View Post
I find that I can eat low-carb just about anywhere (the hardest restaurant for that is a Pho place -- all they serve is noodle soup!).
I love Pho, and I often ask that some or all of the noodles be replaced with bean sprouts.

We have a favorite thai restaurant, and we've become good friends with the owner and her husband. The owner (and only cook) has no problem with special requests - she'll even make me fresh spring rolls (sometimes called summer rolls or salad rolls because they're not deep fried) and substitute bean sprouts for the rice noodles. There's still the rice paper wrapper, but those each contain only about 6-8g carbs (about 25 - 30 calories.)
Old 09-03-2010, 09:13 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaplods View Post
I love Pho, and I often ask that some or all of the noodles be replaced with bean sprouts.
Do you find the soup and bean sprouts filling or do you get something else to go with it?
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 12:43 AM   #12  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/180

Here's what I would have:

One Martini-Dry (not one of those fruity ones!) Vodka and a bit of DRY vermouth.

I would request that no bread basket be bought to the table. My DH loves bread but understands that it's one of my BIG weaknesses, so he gets a small portion of bread served on a bread plate with his meal.

2 cup spinach salad. Add whatever protein you like. I like: a finely diced hardboiled egg, bacon crumbles, tiny shrimp, anchovies and capers with olive oil and a dribble of balsamic vinegar... yum

A GIANT steak or prim rib-rare - no sauce. No starchy sides either, but if the veggies are not peas (to starchy) and also fresh I would ask for double veggies.

For "desert" we usually just have birthday sex (Later at home NOT in the restaurant!)

But I do enjoy a decaf coffee drink made with sugarfree hazlenut topped with a huge dollop of unsweetened whipped cream.

Well, I don't count calories, I do try to limit fat (unless it happens to be my Birthday!) and THAT'S what I would eat...

but it's YOUR birthday. Don't be afraid to ask the waitstaff for EXACTLY what you want!

Last edited by nancymae; 09-04-2010 at 12:50 AM.
nancymae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 04:36 PM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen925 View Post
Do you find the soup and bean sprouts filling or do you get something else to go with it?
In the restaurant we go to, the Pho comes in three sizes: child-sized, regular (huge) and king (which hubby calls "the swimming pool").

We both order the regular, though hubby gets his with all of the noodles, and he can't finish it (and he always jokes that he's too embarassed to order the child's).

We order the regular size, and it's still a huge bowl of soup. The owner/cook also doesn't skimp on the meats so even without the noodles, it's very filling - especially the combination - which has sliced beef and chicken, whole shrimp, tripe, beef and chicken meatballs, and squid.

When I first went low-carb, I'd order it without modification and only eat a few of the noodles, and the owner asked when she saw how much I left behind, asked if I didn't like the noodles (thinking maybe she'd overcooked them, or something) and I told her I was dieting - and it was she who suggested exchanging bean sprouts for some or all of the noodles (She has lost quite a bit of weight on Weight Watchers herself).

I do sometimes order their pork-rib or fried chicken wing appetizer (both are deep-fried, but with no batter, just with a dry rub seasoning) but if I do, I end up taking half my soup home.
Old 09-05-2010, 11:08 PM   #14  

Quote:
Originally Posted by demetrismoore View Post
Walktolose

Thank you so much I don't want my weight to stall do you think I should be eating more? but wouldn't that up my carbs? how can I avoid the stall. I do remember stalling for 2 weeks and I got real discourage.
If you want to lose, you can do so on probably 1800 calories at least (I personally eat more than that most days). I eat a lot more fat than you do and right now I'm eating very low carb because I have 10 more pounds to shake off - probably 20-30 grams of carbs is all I'm having right now, but I do eat until I'm full and feel very satisfied.

Tonight we went out to eat, and I had a glass of red wine (I have been avoiding alcohol - tonight was 1st in 2 weeks), DH and I split a shrimp appetizer (not breaded), and for my meal I had a huge salad that was topped with steak, bacon, blue cheese crumbles. I also had blue cheese dressing. I was very full when I was finished. For breakfast today I had 2 eggs fried in butter and half a leftover hamburger. I had a small lunch since I was going to dinner - about 1/3 avocado, couple slices cheese, and two black olives. I've been very satisfied and am losing steadily.

If I were you, I'd up the calories -- more fat but fewer carbs. Make sure you have some protein with each meal too -- eggs, fish, meat.

Good luck and hope you had a happy birthday!
Old 09-05-2010, 11:10 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by demetrismoore View Post
Hello everyone,

Sept 5th is my birthday and I confused about were to go I was thinking of a all you can eat seafood place or something. I just started back on eating low carbs. I was doing Medifast but it got too costly for me and the fact of falling off the wagon. So I'm eating regular food and staying within 1000 cal and fat no more than 35 - 40g and carbs 65 or under. I have 35 pounds to lose.

start weight 180
goal 35 pounds
HAPPY BIRTHDAY and let us know how your dinner was!