Old 09-15-2010, 09:37 PM   #121  
Last Timer

S/C/G: 175/150/127.5

Height: 5' 4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
Sandy, never heard of xylitor ...
About Xylitol - Overview from http://www.xylitolinfo.com

Xylitol is a sweetener found in many fruits and vegetables and is even produced by the human body during normal carbohydrate metabolism . Xylitol is typically manufactured from birch trees or other natural xylan-rich sources
Clinically Proven

In scientific studies over more than 30 years, dental researchers have pointed to Xylitol, as a key ingredient in the fight against tooth decay. Found in natural sources, such as fruits and vegetables, Xylitol is a familiar sweetener in sugar-free products such as chewing gum. Xylitol not only adds a pleasant taste, but also reduces the incidence of tooth decay.
It Tastes Good

Xylitol has the same sweetness and bulk as sucrose with 40% less calories and no aftertaste. In fact, Xylitol is the sweetest of all bulk sugar substitutes. Plus, it has a very pleasant cooling sensation when it dissolves in the mouth making Xylitol a great partner in applications with mint and citrus flavors.
Xylitol Is In Many Products Already

Xylitol is widely approved for use in foods, pharmaceuticals and cosmetics in many countries around the world. Current Xylitol products include chewing gum and other confectionery, pharmaceuticals (syrups and chewable tablets), oral hygiene products such as toothpastes and mouthwashes, and dietetic and diabetic foods.
Can Anybody Use Xylitol?

Xylitol is a low-glycemic sweetener and is metabolized independently of insulin. Xylitol does not cause the sharp increase in blood sugar levels or the associated serum insulin response, which is usually seen following consumption of other carbohydrates. Thus, Xylitol can be recommended as a sugar-free sweetener suitable for diabetics as well as for the general population seeking a healthier lifestyle.
sparky1946 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:26 PM   #122  

S/C/G: 180/175/130

Height: 5'5

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetermined2 View Post
Hi, all,

I've been doing BFC but am thinking of doing Primal/ Paleo. Are flax seeds and chia seeds off limits on these diets? What about flax seed oils? I was getting ready to order the books on Amazon along with some Barleans Omega Swirls and wondered whether I should rethink my order.
I guess Barleens is ok, some of us are doing no grains/bean in addition to low or no sugar including artifical ones, and 20ish carbs per day...however, you are going from the BFC to Primal, the omega swirl should be fine.

I was drinking a smoothie in the AM with 20g carbs in it and I still lost weight.

Really we all just do what is best for us, some fast some do not...etc
chewy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:06 AM   #123  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Yup, we all have our little tweaks. I'm finding PB to be very flexible and easy to personalize.

Do Barleans have beans and grain?

Last edited by srmb60; 09-16-2010 at 07:07 AM.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 07:41 AM   #124  

S/C/G: 232.6/232.0/165

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetermined2 View Post
Hi, all,

I've been doing BFC but am thinking of doing Primal/ Paleo. Are flax seeds and chia seeds off limits on these diets? What about flax seed oils? I was getting ready to order the books on Amazon along with some Barleans Omega Swirls and wondered whether I should rethink my order.
I agree with the others...you use what works for you. I am doing "technically" an anti-candida diet (no sugar or substitutes at all, no grains, very limited beans and legumes, no dairy and no fungi ie mushrooms). Not a perfect primal diet but pretty darn close. And because of my body's love of yeast...this is becoming my way of life...not a just a month or two fix so I can get back to eating like I used to.
MaddieD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:47 AM   #125  
Last Timer

Yea! I am down to 160, but I cannot remember how to change my 3FC ticker?? Help. (Update: I went into my signature and redid the whole ticker but their must be a direct link. I know I did this differently before.) Hmmmmm....

Had 1 carb yesterday. 2 week challenge average is 21.5...

(Update 2: I just had to click the A/A box to switch editor mode in the upper right hand corner to view the html code. I must have turned it off before.)

Last edited by sparky1946; 09-16-2010 at 11:21 AM.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:25 AM   #126  
Ilene the Bean

Sandy -- thanks for the info on Xylitol... sorry can't help you with the ticker, I never had one...

Down one lb this morning ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:24 AM   #127  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Height: 5'4"

Hey there!

As for artificial sweetners, I think it might be a good idea to cut as much as possible, then use the occational special ketchup or what ever in your 80/20 rule.
And I think someone mentioned cheeese, that really seems to slow the process down for some people.

I am back to thinking that I am not really getting enough carbs. I am usually under 50 every day, although my target is 50-75. In reading through the PB book again last night I see that 50-100 is the optimum for weight loss......I wonder why not lower.
I am going to continue on as I am right now--which I am still making progress dont get me wrong, BUT on Sunday when I am back in town I am going to reorganize the kitchen (kids maintain it) and get the meal planning for the week done so I have packed lunches......AND I am going to try to get up earlier in order to have a breakfast. I was thinking if I had a spinach blueberry and coconut milk smoothie that might really help me out. Frozen blueberries and a couple ice cubes, about half a cup of CM, some vanilla, and a huge handful of spinach leaves......mmmm that sounds good! Dang, wish I could run home and get one made right now!
Mikkijoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 11:30 AM   #128  

I dont care for the foreman for steaks. I like my cast iron skillet best, even over the grill. Get it hot, add some butter and turn to med high, put in the steak that has come up to room temp for at least an hour, I cook on one side about 4 mins, then the other side 4 mins.
To test done ness make a U shape with your thumb and pointer finger, with the other hand poke the flesh between the two digits, THAT amount of give is RARE, now make an O, that is MED rare, now curl your pointer finger entirely closed, that is well done (or in my family a wasted steak LOL) You cn also do it with lip-rare, chin-med, nose-well.....but for me I guess my chin is too boney, does not seem to be alot of difference between chin and nose.
Old 09-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #129  

Yay for everyone who is down!!

I don't like those kind of grills as I find the meat cooks too quickly and you end up with well done (and not a fav here). I have a grill fry pan (square pan with raised ridges that mimic a BBQ) and that works really well. We only use it if it is snowing or pouring rain and don't want to use the real BBQ.

Good to know about the ticker...hoping to need to change it Tuesday!
Old 09-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #130  
Last Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkijoe View Post
I dont care for the foreman for steaks.
Me too with the cast iron griddle/grill pan. The foreman is good when you have a bunch of hungry kids and you need to get a bunch of burgers done quick. More meat seems to lower the temp a little. I also like the foreman to put a frozen hamburger patty and that cooks up fast and is not dried out. But never tried a frozen steak to see how that would work.

MikkiJ is right about letting your steak come to room temperature and then cooking it quickly. Especially grass-fed stuff. Takes a little getting used to. I still do not have a fool-proof way to roast a pastured 5 lb. roasting chicken. I have done it fast and I have done it slow. The next time I am going to use Julia Child's method of browning it on all sides in butter and then putting in a covered roasting pan. I also just got a rotisserie attachment for my grill but have not had a chance to try it out.

Last edited by sparky1946; 09-16-2010 at 03:43 PM.
Old 09-16-2010, 07:41 PM   #131  

shove herbed butter under the skin all over, and I throw it in for an hour on 350........but 5 pounds...holy cow thats huge
Old 09-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #132  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikkijoe View Post
Know how to make a butter compound? soften it, add herbs and seasonings roll it in a tube on syran and put it in the fridge, then slice off pieces and put right onto your steak after you plate it, and dont cut the steak for 10 mins!
I love garlic, or a new favorite is cinnamon and red pepper! YUM

My all time favorite steak or chicken topping is avacado, mashed up with some sea salt, maybe some garlic and red pepper, MAYBE just maybe go as far as adding diced onion etc......great with steak and chicken too
Yum... I mix fresh basil (and/or other herbs from our garden) and maybe a smidge of garlic powder all summer long. Wonderful.

I like the avocado topping idea!
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 08:15 PM   #133  

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown View Post
ETA: There's a question-- what do you guys eat on your burgers? The sucralose-sweetened ketchup is always a staple with mine, but I need to at least temporarily cut it out.
I'm a big mustard/mayo lover, especially dijon...with grilled onions...yum.
walking2lose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 07:33 AM   #134  

Brown...if you like sour cream and want to go dairy-free...get some plain soy yogurt, put it in a sieve and let it sit over a bowl for 3-4 hours in the fridge. A lot of the whey (liquid) will seep out so the consistency is even thicker than sour cream. We do that but with almond milk ( we have allerigies to dairy and soy here so I make almond milk yogurt)...add some herbs and you are good to go!

We do whole chicken like this...put then in the oven at 475 for about 20-25 minutes (just to get golden) and then take out and put in a large crockpot (slowcooker) and put lemon slices,garlic and fresh herbs (savory and sage are good) all over and then put the whole thing on low for 6 hours or so. That's been a lifesaver for the days when I teach. You can also freeze your leftover chicken. I also make stock from the bones and then make my own soup. No sodium and waaay cheaper than buying.

Raining like a bugger here. Was going to do some serious gardening (ie digging and moving palnts around) but really don't feel like being up to my knees in mud. Maybe tomorrow!

Have a great weekend everyone!!

Last edited by MaddieD; 09-17-2010 at 07:33 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 10:05 AM   #135  
Last Timer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown View Post
The last couple times I've cut the chickens in half and only roast a half at a time. I just rinse it, dry it with paper towel, then put it in a pyrex dish and season it however I want to season it (today was cajun), usually including butter. Then put it in at 400 for about 50 minutes or so, depending on the size. Skin gets crispy, meat stays juicy. I get a couple pieces and my partner inhales the rest, heh!
This is a great idea...I never thought of cutting a chicken in half. there are usually just the two of us. I wonder if the butcher could do that before freezing? I get my chickens from a local pastured chicken guy who sends them to a processing place locally.

The 425 oven/crockpot is another great idea I will try. I have a freezer full of the big buggers and plan to keep trying until I get it right.

Hmmmmm......

Oops forgot to add - had 15 carbs yesterday. 2 week Carb Challenge average is 21.

Last edited by sparky1946; 09-17-2010 at 10:11 AM.