3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Carb Counters

Primal/Paleo-ish in August

Closed Thread

Old 08-07-2010, 09:46 AM   #91
Last Timer

S/C/G: 175/150/127.5

Height: 5' 4"

Wow SilverLife!

I checked out your links and am overwhelmed with the information. The few things I did not like about the Paleo Diet guidelines of Cordain was the no dairy. We eat grass-fed beef and poultry and also drink raw milk from grass-fed cows. I did not want to give up the daily glass of milk.

I did not see much mention of veggies, so I assume they are OK if they are low starch? Also, what is the feeling about olive oil. I like cocoanut oil but my DH hates it and so I have been sticking to butter, ghee or olive oil. I go back and forth on canola and whether it is OK.

I am of Polish heritage and ordered Dr. Kwaśniewski's book and am excited to see if I can tweak my Paleo to align with that heritage. Thank you so much for that link!

I am new to the forum as well.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:56 AM   #92
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1946 View Post
I did not see much mention of veggies, so I assume they are OK if they are low starch? Also, what is the feeling about olive oil. I like cocoanut oil but my DH hates it and so I have been sticking to butter, ghee or olive oil. I go back and forth on canola and whether it is OK.
Alright SilverLife! You hooked another one.

Hi Sparky,

Cordain/Paleo is a little more suspicious of veggies than Sisson/Primal. We lean primal here. Primal says the bulk of your diet should come from veggies. Big plates of veggies are great. Mark's favorite meal, and he has a video at MDA of how he makes it, is a BAS (big arse salad). Fats will still make up the higher percentage of calories, but load up on your veggies. Olive oil is great, highly recommended unheated, but gently heated for cooking is fine. The light olive oil is refined a bit, so try to stick to extra virgin.

Just stick to the three key principles and you're practically primal.

1. No refined sugars
2. No grains
3. no refined oils

Then don't go too crazy with the nuts and fruits. Macadamias and berries are preferred. Welcome aboard and good luck.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:00 AM   #93
hunt and gatherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
Other than nursing and being a wife and mother, 3FC is the most long-lived "habit" in my life.
That's the inspiring part right there. Longevity, maintenance, making "weight loss" a lifestyle even after I have my goal-- that's the real success.
Old 08-07-2010, 12:11 PM   #94

S/C/G: 132/131/118

Height: 5'2"

Question: If I have been really good on my plan, staying under on my calories and carbs, how bad would it be to budget in one fried cheese stick? I would still be within the range I'm aiming for, but if it'll blow everything I will try not to eat it lol
Old 08-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #95
Last Timer

Thanks so much BibBob.... I am unfamiliar with the Primal diet so just bought the book and should get it Tuesday. Just back from a Farmer's Market and bought a sh#% load of veggies so your clearing this up for me is so appreciated!

Sparky
Old 08-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #96
Last Timer

Hi MikkiJoe,

I am also going through Beck's workbook. I have had some issues lately that have ratcheted up the stress to the max. Probably a bad time to start a diet.

My cholesterol is high. I have been fighting with my doctor about statins (don't want them). He made me promise to get the weight off.
so I was thrilled to find the support here.

Do you use this thread as your "coach"?

Sparky1946
Old 08-07-2010, 02:06 PM   #97

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

LLH2010? What's a fried cheese stick?

If it's breaded with grain flour, I'm going to say no.
If it's deep fried in vegetable oil, Bob's going to say no.
The paleo-ers are going to say ... ew cheese!

If that's the worst thing you do all week? Go right ahead!

Hi Sparky!

You'll be surprised how much you don't miss grain.
Old 08-07-2010, 03:34 PM   #98

S/C/G: 132/131/118

Height: 5'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
LLH2010? What's a fried cheese stick?

If it's breaded with grain flour, I'm going to say no.
If it's deep fried in vegetable oil, Bob's going to say no.
The paleo-ers are going to say ... ew cheese!

If that's the worst thing you do all week? Go right ahead!

Hi Sparky!

It's fried mozzerella!! You've never tried it? Well don't, because they're delicious and addictive. I'm positive they are breaded in flour, and I'm not sure what they are fried in since this restaurant doesn't post that info, but I looked all over and they are estimated to have 6 g of carbs per serving. I ate a plate of cabbage for lunch to make room for that cheese stick though.
Old 08-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #99

S/C/G: 165/147/128

I am absolutely certain I would love those! and would probably have one if the opportunity arose. Oooo melting cheese .....

You'll be surprised how much you don't miss grain.
Old 08-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #100
hunt and gatherer

LLH, another huge selling point for me favoring Primal Blueprint was the 20% rule. The idea is we live in a world bursting with neolithic food temptations, some that we love. You have 20% to play with and fried mozzarella would definitely go in that category. Most of the time I am 100% counting dairy as primal, but I won't hesitate to enjoy birthday cake when the time is right, or a few slices of pizza, or a cold beer here and there. This message was important to me because we have to be realistic about a lifestyle going forward indefinitely. Since 20% is allowed, I do not consider it cheating, so I do not feel bad or like giving up. Having the cushion is good psychologically and emotionally. Just dip the cheese in marinara not ranch. Avoid the soybean oil in the dressing.
Old 08-07-2010, 09:42 PM   #101
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Hey There,

LLH: Eat the Mozarrella Stick. If you don't, I will!!! Those things are so danged good!

Sparky: Welcome. I started to change to this style of eating during a horrid stressful time and it actually seemed to help my stamina for dealing with the stress. I was more stressed physically after a day of carb grazing.

Bob: I think for my son, since I cannot change the food at the overpriced daycare he attends, I'm just going to stick with making sure he does get enough lean protein and vegetables. I think the stuff he gets out of the house is all carbs--sometimes he'll get home and rip through a plate of chicken like he's protein starved.

Everybody: every post here inspires me and I also have a real admiration for the maintainers and regular exercisers. I really need that benchmark to shoot for!

Today I accomplished two huge goals that have been on my list for forever : I cleared out the garage so I could park inside this coming winter. It had become impossible to even walk through for all the junk and I got it cleared in about 4 hours.

Then I finally made up an "Adoption Book" for my son. I've been collecting pictures since he came home from Guatemala in 2007! I just couldn't get up the steam to go spend a million bucks on scrap book stuff and then spend a month glueing it all together. So today I went to Shutterfly, picked a format, uploaded the pix and typed the captions. Took me about 2hours. Now it's being printed up and bound as a book for him to have in a week or so. Whew--how easy was that?

[Speaking of the Energizer Bunny...] I'm just so stinkin' pleased with myself!

Onward,

Spanky
Finally: 110 lbs

Last edited by spanky : 08-07-2010 at 09:46 PM.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:56 PM   #102

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Height: 5'4"

ok guys, got my book last night, been reading like a madcave man.

So I finally thumbed through the book (Primal) to see where I can figure out my formula, percentage of intake etc. I plugged in the numbers for my family, and set it for a 12 pound loss during the month....as I adjusted I began to wonder about this...

I figured my lean body mass, telling me what my protien intake needs to be
Then I set my carbs at 75 grams
once I multiply those out at 4 cals per gram, and add it up, the only thing left is to put the rest into fat, right???? and it is 9 cals per gram of fat,
This is what I came up with? Anyone care to give me your two cents worth?

103 grms protien
75 gms carb
116 grms fat

Coming from a low fat dieter (obviously THAT has not worked) the fat grams seem SO high, but is that just my brain?

296 lbs, 55% bmi, giving me a lean mass of 148 lbs. Intake 3156 to maintain, take off 1400 cals for a 12 pound a month loss......
If I change that amount to lose per month, and my deficit changes, does that all effect the fat only??? thats my big question
Old 08-08-2010, 12:01 AM   #103

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Height: 5'4"

Hi sparky...real quick, cannot let this one go by..you mentioned that with alot of stress in your life right now maybe this is not a good time to start a diet...I disagree. Sometimes in the chaos of stress that you have no control over the best thing you can do is take control of something very personal to you. Might as well start now and not let this episode of stress add additional pounds....Beck principals are perfect for the stress, the new diet porgram, for it all,....gets priorities and makes you take continual baby steps into getting healthy mentally/emotionally and physically
WELCOME here!
Old 08-08-2010, 12:18 AM   #104
Ilene the Bean

S/C/G: 165/155/140

to all the newbies the more the merrier I always say ...

I am embarassed to say that I have been extremely unPrimal this week... I've been drinking wine every single night and not just one glass either ... I haven't been lifting or going to the gym and because that is such a huge part of my lifestyle I feel awful physically... I have been walking, running and biking daily though but to me that's just not the same, I love the feeling of having had a heavy workout... So tomorrow morning I'm going to the gym for sure... I think I'll bike there then afterwards go for a long bike ride...

Old 08-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #105
Last Timer

Thanks MikkiJoe and Spanky for your insight and encouragement. I needed to read that...

I found a weight-loss hynosis tape that actually makes me slow down and breathe and it seems to be helping with my stress (2 of my grown children divorced with child custody/visitation issues and sad grandchildren). I have felt so helpless. I am a fixer and I cannot fix this.

But if I can fix my weight, maybe I will feel strong enough to at least "be a rock" for the little ones. Something to think about. I have felt out of control as my nice little world was falling apart.

I cannot wait to get the book on Tuesday. I am sure I will have as many questions as MikkiJoe about the calculations. Yesterday, I took SusanB's lead and signed up for FitDay. I plugged in my food consumption and came up with 532 calories only. I asked my husband if he remembered me eating anything else??? I am absolutely not hungry (hypnosis?). This morning I gained a lb.

I also did not come close to eating enough fat grams. Thank goodness for this forum and the Beck program as normally I would feel discouraged. I have to totally change my thinking about fat and carbs and it is going to take awhile.

Hugs to all....
Sparky
Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.