3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Carb Counters

Primal/Paleo-ish in August

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2010, 09:12 AM   #16
Maintaining (Lacto-Paleo)

S/C/G: 120s

Height: 5' 6.75"

Ilene, thanks for the snazzy welcome!

Kara, how are you cooking the calf liver?

I may try to make paté out of some chicken livers. Ate part of them with bacon the other day, which seemed like a Thanksgiving feast.

Macronutrient ratios mediate weight via hormones. Hormones drive fat storage. Kurt Harris, M. D.

Last edited by SilverLife : 08-03-2010 at 09:14 AM. Reason: correct spacing
Old 08-03-2010, 09:25 AM   #17
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

G'morning!

I'm starting August 6 pounds away from my goal weight, and I'm OK with that.

Welcome to "The Paleos". Um, please tell me what you do differently? I'm new at being Primal....

I think I said here I was going to try the SimpleFit workout I'd read about on MDA. My first try didn't pan out so great--there are only 3 moves you do: push ups, squats, and chin ups. So I was doing a modified chin up with a towel and about the 5th round into it the shower curtain came crashing down. One of the dogs wouldn't come out from under the bed until sundown, but my 3 year old thought it was awesome!

So back to intensified weight lifting until I can rig something more sturdy!

This morning was my usual egg/cheese/bacon/tomato frittata but we dashed out the door so fast I left lunch at home and am worrying about how NOT to let the day's eating get trashed!

Gotta go--somebody get Bob out of that ditch he's digging and weigh him--I can't wait to hear!

spanks
Finally: 110 lbs
Old 08-03-2010, 10:03 AM   #18

Hi, Spanks!

I don't know what the differences are between Primal and Paleo. But I can post the version of Paleo I follow.

Here is the list I follow, Dr. Kurt Harris' recommendations. This info is at the first link in my signature:

1. Eliminate sugar (including fruit juices and sports drinks) and all foods that contain flour.

2. Start eating proper fats - Use healthy animal fats or coconut fat to substitute fat calories for carbohydrate calories that formerly came from sugar and flour. Drink whole cream or coconut milk.

3. Eliminate gluten grains. Limit grains like corn and rice, which are nutritionally poor.

4. Eliminate grain and seed derived oils (cooking oils) Cook with Ghee, butter, animal fats, or coconut oil.

5. Favor ruminants like beef, lamb and bison for your meat. Eat eggs and some fish.

6. Make sure you are Vitamin D replete. Get daily midday sun or consider supplementation.

7. 2 meals a day is best. Don't graze like a herbivore.

8. Adjust your 6s and 3s. Pastured (grass fed) dairy and grass fed beef or bison has a more optimal 6:3 ratio, more vitamins and CLA. A teaspoon or two of Carlson's fish oil (1-2 g DHA/EPA) daily is good compensatory supplementation if you eat grain-fed beef or no fish.

9. Proper exercise - emphasizing resistance and interval training over long aerobic sessions.

10. Most modern fruit is just a candy bar from a tree. Go easy on bags of sugar like apples. Stick with berries and avoid watermelon which is pure fructose. Eat in moderation.

11. Eliminate legumes

12. Eliminate all remaining dairy including cheese- (now you are "Orthodox paleolithic")
I think he is being a bit tongue-in-cheek, in that comment.

Things I do which are different from his list and other recommendations. (There is no such thing as "one size fits all".)

I eat three meals a day, and if I feel like I need it, I have a snack. I eat most of my food at b'fast and lunch. Supper is very small. I don't eat after 4:30 or 5.
I eat dairy and don't have any plans to avoid it, at this point. I only use butter, cream, cheese, and homemade yoghurt made with whole milk & cream.
No grains at all for me.
Keeping track of portions and amounts, as well as the ratios of Protein to Fats to Carbs is vital for me, and I make sure I don't eat more calories than I need to.
On exercise, no interval training for me. That must be for young people.

I use Dr. Jan Kwasniewski's ratios for P:F:C. I use his for losing weight, not maintaining.

Dr. Peter Dobromylskyj uses Dr. Kwasniewski's ratios. Dr. Dobromylskyj's blog is Hyperlipid.

In a nutshell, mostly a pre-agriculural diet, except plus dairy, and for me, a few green veggies and the occasional piece of fruit. (I like stewed prunes in gelatin and butter, for example.)

Glad you survived the falling shower curtain rod!

Macronutrient ratios mediate weight via hormones. Hormones drive fat storage. Kurt Harris, M. D.

Last edited by SilverLife : 08-03-2010 at 10:09 AM. Reason: corrected typing error
Old 08-03-2010, 10:11 AM   #19

S/C/G: 158/142/at or below 135 lbs.

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by spanky View Post
G'morning!

I think I said here I was going to try the SimpleFit workout I'd read about on MDA. My first try didn't pan out so great--there are only 3 moves you do: push ups, squats, and chin ups. So I was doing a modified chin up with a towel and about the 5th round into it the shower curtain came crashing down. One of the dogs wouldn't come out from under the bed until sundown, but my 3 year old thought it was awesome!

Gotta go--somebody get Bob out of that ditch he's digging and weigh him--I can't wait to hear!

spanks
That is HILARIOUS -- great image!! Glad you weren't hurt though.

About Bob... I know. I am dying to hear the results of his weigh in!

Where is he??

Have a great primal day ladies!

Eat clean -- I've been primal/paleo since May 2010 Click here for more on how I feel.
Move everyday-- options - walking, biking, dvds - Jillian Michael's, pilates, or yoga
Get plenty of sleep - everything else will be easier when I do this![/color]
Old 08-03-2010, 10:14 AM   #20

Silver -- thanks for the very helpful encapsulation! Everything I've read says that Paleo doesn't consume any dairy, so interesting (and good) to see cream and butter on here (I eat both). I have toyed with giving up cheese, and maybe I will (I have cut way down), but I love my cheese -- I'm actually currently looking for a creamery where I can get grassfed cheese!

Anyway, great list -- if my printer worked, I'd print and post on my fridge.

Have a good one all!

Eat clean -- I've been primal/paleo since May 2010 Click here for more on how I feel.
Move everyday-- options - walking, biking, dvds - Jillian Michael's, pilates, or yoga
Old 08-03-2010, 11:03 AM   #21
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

SilverLife, that is the list I have in my pantry, it helps me stay on track and it reminds my hubby of what to eat!

Spanky- very funny! Glad you weren't injured. I have a similar routine minus chin ups. Its a crossfit one, pushups-squats-jumping jacks, you vary the amount of time from 3 min to 1 min for 3 reps. Pushups for 3 min is pure torture! I start with normal ones and by the end I'm practically eating my carpet.

Bob, are you hibernating?

July:
CrossFit 3x wk
Cut back my dairy

Old 08-03-2010, 11:08 AM   #22

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

What I do (in a nutshell) no grain, no sugar, no processed and waaay more fats than I ever imagined. Once in a while I exert a spurt of energy

That's based on years of experimentation and more reading than I could possibly ever reference. Primal Blueprint just kind of put it all together and gave it a name for me.

You'll be surprised how much you don't miss grain.
Old 08-03-2010, 11:31 AM   #23

S/C/G: 287/ticker/139

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by koceank29 View Post
Where is Europe are you going?
My nephew is living in Amsterdam and marrying a Dutch girl, so first I'm going there. I'm going to end up in England to visit a friend. Not sure what I'm doing in between! Maybe Bruge, Belgium ... never been there. Any suggestions? I'm not so keen on the major towns they get a little overwhelming when you're traveling by yourself. Any suggestions anyone? I'll be gone a couple of weeks, and have about a week to wander. CJ

Old 08-03-2010, 11:36 AM   #24

SB, thanks for the nutshell plan. It sounds grand. Once in a while, I exert a spurt of energy, too, but not too often. I wish there were some activity smilies for us slower types here.

Kara, do you read Dr. Harris' blog?

Claire, the paleo diet that is based on an attachment to what some imagine our ancestors ate, doesn't include dairy. I have no intention of pretending I live in an environment as our ancestors did thousands of years ago. I wear modern clothes. I have air conditioning. I buy my herb plants at a nursery. I shop at grocery stores. I do not have to hunt my meat or spend hours looking for berries each day. I enjoy dairy and don't miss drinking milk too much, as the butter, cream, cheese and high fat yoghurt are very satisfying. If I find it causes me problems, I'll stop. But for now, it's fine. Dr. Harris' and Dr. Dobromylskyj's recommendations and explanations have the ring of truth, to me. I see no reason to eat out of a romantic attachment to conjectural history. But, that which is based on the genetic structure of our metabolism makes perfect sense, IMO.

I'm so glad to find you all here at 3fc!

Hope you're all having a very nice day.

Old 08-03-2010, 11:40 AM   #25

CJZee, I was typing away while you posted. Brugges, Belgium is a lovely place. If you like lace, there is a spectacular lace museum. Where in England are you going? I lived in Europe for many years, and travelled alone. Just dress like the natives and be as careful as you would on a NY subway.

It'll be easy to eat what you want. Are you using a Eur-rail Pass? They're great. Being in first class on the trains is a delight.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:23 PM   #26
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
SilverLife

Nuthin to report this morning yet...
I can second all of that. Hi SilverLife. Have fun with this. The food is great.
Haven't got to a scale yet. I'm in LA for a day or two. Keeping in primal, headed to a farmer's market.
Old 08-03-2010, 03:46 PM   #27

S/C/G: 294/286/150

Height: 5'8"

Hi! I'm new around this thread, and am trying to be as Primal as I can. I have both the Primal Blueprint and Paleo Diet books along with the Primal Blueprint Cookbook, so I'm well informed on what I should be eating, but I'm still battling my impulses for the 'bad' food.

Last edited by saraRae : 08-03-2010 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-03-2010, 04:06 PM   #28

Hi, all!

BigBob, thank you for the kind welcome! Am not new to the food, just to the thread.

SaraRae, welcome! How nice to have you here. I'm new to this thread, too. I really, really enjoy eating this way. I find the longer I practice making nourishing choices, the more the memory of the unhealthy ones fade away. I wish you much success with your plan.

Last edited by SilverLife : 08-03-2010 at 04:07 PM. Reason: corrected spacing
Old 08-03-2010, 04:31 PM   #29
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

Welcome SaraRae! It gets easier to battle with the impulses. When you start craving your primal foods or one of my favorites, collards in coconut milk, you know you're on the right track.

Bob, have fun in LA!

SilverLife- I don't read his blog everyday, but I stop in now and then. I have a 1 yr old and a 6 yr old, so when time allows I pop around to the blogs and here, it helps me stay focused each day.

July:
CrossFit 3x wk
Cut back my dairy

Old 08-03-2010, 06:09 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverLife View Post
SB,

Claire, the paleo diet that is based on an attachment to what some imagine our ancestors ate, doesn't include dairy. I have no intention of pretending I live in an environment as our ancestors did thousands of years ago. I wear modern clothes. I have air conditioning. I buy my herb plants at a nursery. I shop at grocery stores. I do not have to hunt my meat or spend hours looking for berries each day. I enjoy dairy and don't miss drinking milk too much, as the butter, cream, cheese and high fat yoghurt are very satisfying. If I find it causes me problems, I'll stop. But for now, it's fine. Dr. Harris' and Dr. Dobromylskyj's recommendations and explanations have the ring of truth, to me. I see no reason to eat out of a romantic attachment to conjectural history. But, that which is based on the genetic structure of our metabolism makes perfect sense, IMO.

Silver -- that makes a lot of sense and is similar to how I see things. So, I guess it's just Loren Cordain who is the main Paleo anti- all dairy guy? I will read up on Dr. Harris and check out his blog. I think I was there at one point - need to bookmark it.

Bob -- you are killing me... I am in great suspense for your weigh in results. Find a scale! And have a great time

Closed Thread
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.