Closed Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 07:24 PM   #226  
Last Timer

S/C/G: 175/150/127.5

Height: 5' 4"

I like "closure" as well! Like enough time spent already...

Yay, Spanky
Old 08-18-2010, 08:58 PM   #227  

S/C/G: 175/161.6/130

Height: 5'6''

You all are awesome, and totally motivating.

I had a small piece of naan bread with dinner last night, but didn't go over 115g carbs total for the whole day.
Today I feel okay, I think I am going to cut back on my bike rides until the fog clears. I normally ride for 1-3 hours each ride several times a week, and yesterdays ride was nearly impossible.
I've had breakfast and took one of the dogs for a walk.
I need to work on getting more potassium, I had some spinach in my eggs today, any suggestions for a low carb high potassium food?
Also I'm on day 3 and down 3lbs that seems like a lot to me, my daily calories are about 1400 and my daily ratio is around 35% fat, 35% protein, 30% carbs, and a glass or two of red wine.

Last edited by BananaMarie; 08-18-2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: spelling and punctuation
Old 08-19-2010, 08:40 AM   #228  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Good morning!

Did a little celebrating for our anniversary yesterday ... margarita and fish and chips ... Got out of bed feeling a bit sluggish but I'm comin' along now. DH is home today too so we have some getting ready to do wrt Saturday's party. Bathrooms, fridge ... woo hoo ...

I spent a very long time in 'fog' and I'm not sure I properly recall what I was doing. I think perhaps that beginning time was not a good time to have cheat days. I do believe it's harder to get "into the optimal insulin production groove" when you're older like me. My hormones had lots of years to get as screwed up as the were/are.
Everything that Bob relates about being primal and hypoglemics rings true for me. It's a bit more picky but worth it.

And yes, I'm more detaily than Mark suggests. I like my fitday. Spanky, you do what you have to do and we'll support you. I like mechanical pencils!

Bob ... a pork butt chop is a wonderful thing!
Old 08-19-2010, 08:43 AM   #229  

S/C/G: 180/178/150

Height: 5'2

I did good all day yesterday until after dinner. DH & I were still hungry. We had wild caught salmon & Brussels sprouts for dinner. I notice that when I eat fish I get hungry a few hours later. It got the best of me cuz I had a bowl of ice cream with a little chocolate syrup, peanut butter & banana. I regretted almost instantly. I had a hard time sleeping cuz I was so bloated & my belly hurt.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:48 AM   #230  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Good Morning!

Sparky: Yes--that's it. Enough already of the struggle, let's get this done!

This post is the "Next Action" in the great "Get Closure Project". So here I am. Yesterday I was totally on track, logged everything including my half hour of bike time.

For some weird metabolic reason I dropped 3 1/2 pounds overnight.....whoa!?

Here's my toss for the Potassium discussion: I use Morton's Lite Salt. It is 50/50 Sodium Chloride/Potassium Chloride. I started using when diagnosed with high blood pressure and even at the start I found it quite tasty.

So today is planned down to the last carbohydrate gram, including snackies if needed. Onward to the "Next Action"!

Spanx

Last edited by spanky; 08-19-2010 at 08:50 AM.
Old 08-19-2010, 02:06 PM   #231  
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

Good late morning from the West Coast. Just checking in. My toe still makes walking very painful. This is the longest I have gone without a long hikes in over a year. Those walks are needed therapy. I miss them. I tried a bike, but the toe said no. Frustrated.

I ate 1000 calories in almonds yesterday. How nice. Another 500 calories in yogurt. I had three strips of bacon cooked into a bunch of collards for dinner. I love parm cheese on collards and that added calories. I also had some spicy pepper jack and lean ham as a snack. The calories pile up fast, but I probably came in around 2500 for the day. Probably my lowest in a week?

Porks chops are on the menu today. Happy Anniversary Susan!
Lite salt with extra potassium is smart. From WH Foods:

Quote:
Excellent sources of potassium include chard, crimini mushrooms, and spinach.

Very good sources of potassium include fennel, kale, mustard greens, collards, Brussel sprouts, broccoli, winter squash, blackstrap molasses, eggplant, cantaloupe, and tomatoes.

Good sources of potassium include parsley, cucumber, bell pepper, turmeric, apricots, ginger root, strawberries, avocado, banana, tuna, halibut, cauliflower and cabbage.
I eat potassium rich guacomole and tomato sauce regularly. Broccoli and spinach are also regulars for me. I'm going to experiment with chard this week. -

Don't kick yourself Tyma. It sounds like the ice cream did that for you.

I'm feeling like "productivity" is more important than goal setting or detailed planning so I am re-reading Getting Things Done. It helped me with work productivity a few years ago. I think it applies to this weight loss project.

I'm going to try to mow my yard. It looks horrible thanks to my toe.
Old 08-19-2010, 03:55 PM   #232  

Hi all! My name is Ally. I just stumbled upon all of this yesterday. I am new to Primal/Paleo/Warrior Diets etc. Do any of you guys cook your meat/veggies or do you have to eat completely raw? My understanding yesterday was that you do cook your meat/veggies etc.. Then today on other sites been reading that alot of people eat it raw.. Does it matter all that much? I don't think I could eat raw meat. I know you can lose nutrients..but yeah.. Don't think I could stomach that. I'm 263 and got alot of weight to lose.. I also have eczema/candida.. So I would only be able to eat meat/vegetables and very little fruits.. I couldn't do the dairy/gluten etc. I read several posts on this forum and am very impressed by all the progress you all are making with this plan. I'd love to know anything/everything about this plan if any of you can help me.
Old 08-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #233  
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

We all cook our meat! The raw paleo stuff is out on the fringe, not mainstream at all. In fact, cooking veggies makes them healthier in many instances, and cooking certainly makes meats safer. Paleolithic cooking hearths date back 125,000 years. I do love good sushi and sashime, and us Italians like some raw beef, but rarely.

Ally, you sound like a great candidate fro Primal Blueprint. The book is worth buying. Avoiding gluten is a must. Avoiding dairy is necessary for some (and hard core paleos insist on it). Keeping fruit minimized is part of the plan. Lots of veggies make the bulk of the diet while protein and fat from animal sources (cooked for goodness sake) are also important.

The Warrior Diet was my first stop on this journey. I do like the idea of eating primarily at night, but that doesn't work for everyone.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:26 PM   #234  
Fighting the Good Fight

Height: 5'1"

Hey There,

Checking in before I go home for the day. On plan today. Today was actually saved by The Plan: I was carrying oregano/olive broiled (NOT raw) chicken for a snack and it kept me out of the carbo-loaded lab kitchen!

Bob--that's where I'm getting my tailwind, from reading Getting Things Done. Great minds read alike (?)

The next action: staying on plan for dinner...

Spanks

Last edited by spanky; 08-19-2010 at 05:26 PM.
Old 08-19-2010, 05:55 PM   #235  
Ilene the Bean

hello Ally!! yes please cook your meats

Today was a decent primal day... oops I just remembered I had a granola bar with about 30g carbs, but the rest was good and simple hamburg, peppers for lunch, steak and brocoli for supper... No workout though I have a terrible chest/cough cold and I go into these coughing jags and feel like ... I stayed home from work and only did a couple of loads of laundry...
Old 08-19-2010, 06:25 PM   #236  

Oh thank goodness! I'm relieved then.. So it sounds like you have to count your carbs each day? That for optimal weightloss just eat 50 carbs or under? How do you count the carbs? Carbs as in vegetables/fruit or?
Old 08-19-2010, 06:39 PM   #237  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by allysonc View Post
Oh thank goodness! I'm relieved then.. So it sounds like you have to count your carbs each day? That for optimal weightloss just eat 50 carbs or under? How do you count the carbs? Carbs as in vegetables/fruit or?
I input my food in fitday.com... I try to stay between 50 and 100g carbs... here is a good link How to succeed with the Primal Blueprint Marks Daily apple is full of great information... Hope this helps...
Old 08-19-2010, 08:50 PM   #238  

S/C/G: 175/161.6/130

Height: 5'6''

Yesterday didn't end too well, We had turkey at a friends and first I ate my weight in mostly meat and veggies, I was okay on carbs but my calories were sky high! then I had a little piece of cheesecake, and a few too many glasses of wine.
Old 08-20-2010, 07:22 AM   #239  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

I hang out a bit in the weight lifting forums here at 3FC. It was KAW who kind of pointed me toward Primal Blueprint. I never ran into any of that raw stuff (PLT, I sure as shootin' wouldn't have looked again!) But we have heard it here before. I feel badly about that. It's such a lovely and natural way to eat. It makes me sad to think that folks are missing the point because google leads them to think we eat raw meat ... ew!

DH and I have been busy getting ready for our annual Summer Party! He makes meat, folks bring stuff and we hang around with family and friends in our backyard all afternoon. It's my favourite celebration of the year.
However ... in doing all the prep ... we've had restaurant food two days in a row! I'm 132 lbs with stiff hands and a little round belly
Old 08-20-2010, 08:23 AM   #240  
Ilene the Bean

Susan, if we didn't live so far I'd crash that party

I'm back to my pre-vaca weight as of this morning : ... Still coughing up a storm though, yuck, but I am off to work in a few minutes...
Closed Thread