Closed Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 12:46 PM   #196  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Congratulations Dawn! That's awesome news!
Old 08-16-2010, 06:40 PM   #197  

S/C/G: 331 HW 299 June 2010/288/180?

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky1946 View Post
This sounds yummy. How do you stuff a pork roast? I have one in the frig and I have memories of crispy roast pork falling apart when you try to cut it. I was going to try to recreate it. I gave up pork 10 years ago and am just getting back to it with this diet.

Sigh...
Sandy
See! I knew I was not entirely bonkers by thinking I should have taken pictures of the roast as I was making it!

OK bear with me...I hope you are a visual person. Look at the end of the roast and picture a spiral, thats how we cut it. so across the top of the roast about an inch down you slice across until about an inch from the other side, turn it and do it over until you are in the center and you have one flat piece of meat. THEN I topped it all with fresh spinach leaves, entirely covered with 2-3 layers of leaves. Added several leaves of basil, then added sauteed mushrooms, onions garlic and peppers. Then topped with cheese. I thought I had feta, and did not so I used motz, The cheese was really lost in the roast so I would not add that next time. Then I rolled it back up! BUT get this, THEN I rolled it in a weave of bacon.......... really I did! I layed out 6 slices of bacon about a half inch apart, and then wove in 6 slices the opposite direction, and roll the roast in that.....

It was fantabulous! and the bacon really helped it. You can easily just make a pocket in the pork roast too and stuff it, the pinwheel design does not make it taste any better

Enjoy pork!

Annette

Last edited by Mikkijoe; 08-16-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 06:45 PM   #198  
Last Timer

S/C/G: 175/150/127.5

Height: 5' 4"

Thanks so much!

I am going to do this tonight!

Sandy
Old 08-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #199  

I know there is a recipe section, but I did not want this to get lost

Butter Chicken

• 450 gm Boneless Chicken (we used 2 pounds breast chunks)
• 2 tbsp Butter
• 2 tsp Lemon Juice
• ¼ cup Plain Yoghurt
• ½ cup Cream (cocunut milk--and doubled it to thin it down)
• 2 tbsp Peanut Oil (used olive oil)
• 1 White Onion (chopped)
• 1 cup Tomato Puree
• 1-¼ tsp Cayenne Pepper
• 1 pinch Salt
• 1 tsp Chili Powder
• 1 tsp Cumin (Ground)
• 1 Bay Leaf
• 1 pinch Black Pepper
• 1 tbsp Ginger-Garlic Paste (make your own with knive side on chopping board)
• 1 tbsp Cornstarch (left it out)
• 2 tsp Garam Masala (this is a blend, we looked it up on google and made own)
• Water as required

• Heat 1 tbsp oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
• Saute white onion until it becomes soft and translucent.
• Put butter, lemon juice, ginger-garlic paste, garam masala (1 tsp), chili powder, cumin and bay leaf into the saucepan. Stir it for about 1 minute.
• Add tomato puree to the mixture. Cook it for 2 minutes while stirring frequently. (for soup we leave out the chicken and use 3 parts tomato paste and 1 part water--for butter chicken we use the puree)
• Add cream and yoghurt into the same pan and mix them well.
• Reduce heat to low and cook sauce for 10 minutes.
• Now add salt, black pepper and cayenne into the mixture. Remove the pan from heat.
• Heat oil (1tbsp) in a large heavy frying pan over medium heat.
• Cut the Chicken to bite-size pieces and wash it well.
• Cook chicken pieces until it gets slightly brown (for about 10 minutes).
• Reduce the heat and season the chicken with garam masala (1 tsp) and cayenne.
• Put 1/3 cup of the prepared sauce into it and cook until liquid get reduced (for about 5 minutes).
• Now pour the rest of the sauce into the chicken.
• Mix cornstarch and water well. Put this mixture into the chicken. (we did not do this)
• Cook chicken for 5-10 minutes, or until thickened. (got really thick so we added more coconut milk)
• Butter Chicken is ready to serve.

NOTE: we like spice, but used half of what it called for, actually we doubled all other ingredients, used additional coconut milk, and used the original amount of spice!
Old 08-16-2010, 08:25 PM   #200  

S/C/G: 175/161.6/130

Height: 5'6''

Hello all! I am new to 3FC, but not trying to lose weight, or even low carb. I tried Atkins about 7 months ago and lost about 5 pounds, then my mind snapped and I had nothing but Sandwiches and pasta for a week and gained it all back plus a few. I discovered Primal Blueprint thanks to a few friends and I am going to give it a try again. Because low carb did work as far as weight loss, but Atkins was too extreme for me. So today, I start again! My husband too, we both have a few to loose, me more than him.

Last edited by BananaMarie; 08-16-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 08-16-2010, 09:00 PM   #201  
Ilene the Bean

BananaMarie

Those recipes sound really good I'm going to try them for sure...

Today I was back to work and it felt good to have a routine and I was completely primal all day ... I already feel unbloated... During the 4 weeks I was off I gained 3.6lbs... Not so bad considering everything I ate .... Now I'm back to weighing every day.... I love to weigh daily...
Old 08-17-2010, 04:25 AM   #202  
(Lacto-)Primal Newbie

S/C/G: 60kg/53kg/48kg

Height: 158cm

Hi! New to 3FC.

Has anyone here tried intermittent fasting (IT)? I've been on primal (with some cheating now and then) since the beginning of August, and I'm wondering if you all have any tips on using intermittent fasting to break a plateau...?
Old 08-17-2010, 08:00 AM   #203  

S/C/G: 192/172/150

Height: 5'5"

Hey Dawn Congrats! I'm waiting til Sept or Oct to get my blood work done....hopefully it will be good too!

THanks for the recipe MikkiJoe. Both sound yum!

You all have such low prices on grass fed beef....our lowest (that I have found) is $9.99. Maybe more research is necessary.

Welcome all new people.

Mushroom - I think Bob is the one to answer the IF question. I frequently fast from 6pm - 12pm (18hrs) but rarely longer. I've been wanting to try something I saw on Dr. Eades blog about fasting every other day by eating dinner but quit at 6pm say and then don't eat til after 6pm the next day so you have 24 hour fast. He explains it much better on his blog. I also want to try to eat from 12pm to 5pm and thats it. I haven't been able to do that one yet.
Old 08-17-2010, 08:23 AM   #204  
Ilene the Bean

Underwater Mushroom

I IF once in a while but only for about 18 hours from 6pm or so till noon the next day... Bob is definitely the expert on IFing...

Off to work, I was down 1# this morning ...
Old 08-17-2010, 11:41 AM   #205  

I have used a couple 12-17 hour periods for IF, but certainly not any valuable information here from me!

BOB ohhhhh BOB where are you???

I know for those with alot to lose (myself) frequent IF can be something to be concerned about, Bob can speak to that ---of only we could find him---
Old 08-17-2010, 11:43 AM   #206  

WELCOME to all you newbies....

Have fun and take some time to absorb all the great information, tips, and successes here on this site, as well as on MDA ---HUGE resource there!
Old 08-17-2010, 01:58 PM   #207  

New favorite steak sauce: hot salsa (homemade) mashed into an avocado! Plus be coated out steak with oregano, cinnamon, chili pepper and black pepper, YUM
Old 08-17-2010, 02:50 PM   #208  
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

I'm here. My gouty toe is still throbbing 24/7. I'm exhausted from pain induced lack of sleep.

Hi Marie and Mushroom. Welcome aboard. UM, I'm a big fan of intermittent fasting for those who can do it. You need to condition yourself to it slowly. I know some manage it on higher carb intakes, but for me that's too difficult. When I am in ketosis, keeping carbs around 25 grams a day on average, the proteins and fats keep me satiated and I can fast easily. I overdid it with a number of 36 hour fasts (not recommended for noobs), lost a lot of weight and now am recovering from a gouty episode (painfully arthritic big toe).

So not only have I plateaued, I have gained about 10 pounds trying to heal. Oh well. I will be back on the program soon. Please don't let my experience deter you. I have had tons of success for a two or three week setback. Dehydration was likely the cause in my case. Well, a combination of things is more likely, but if you IF, drink lots of water.

A retired MD named Bert Herring wrote a great free Ebook for intermittent fasting.

Fast 5

Great common sense there. Add primal foods to his IF program and you have what I call the gold standard for weight loss. I do not agree with his food advice even though you could shed weight doing what he says. I am convinced 100% with the health benefits of Primal Blueprint. As I reduce my carbs and get back into ketosis, my plan is to follow his 16-20 hour IF advice going forward. Of course, if this plateau perstists, I will starve because I am a fool like that. But this weight is coming off, the arthritic toe and broken metabolism are just going to have to deal with it.

Some caveats. If you're diabetic or hypoglycemic, don't IF. If you have a history of clinical eating disorders other than over eating, don't do it. If you're prone to arthritis pain, lol, be careful and eat something healthy and green every day. Maybe learn a little about alkaline diets that may be preventative. While you may find it easy to IF and keep calories very restricted, always try to average over 1000 a day with a focus on optimum nutrition. That seems to be close to a minimum without massive supplementation.

Good luck. I will be posting more often as soon as my toe feels better. It makes me a little negative. I find my appetite unruly when I am not ketogenic, which makes me a little angry, which is how I feel right now. Hungry and mad at the same time. I tried to stay low carb yesterday and failed with bananas, grapes and yogurt. Nuts seemed to help me a lot before, so I am going to add them today and see if I can keep the carbs down. I think there's plenty of healthy carbs we can eat primally, but in my case, they make weight loss impossible. /ramble
Old 08-17-2010, 03:14 PM   #209  
Last Timer

S/C/G: 175/150/127.5

Height: 5' 4"

Bob, are you the least bit surprised how all of us kind of have to have our "bob wisdom" fix. We miss it when you are gone for a few days. You show us so much courage and strength. When you make it through this journey, and you will, nothing will stop you from accomplishing anything you want. You are inspirational even when you are down.

Thank you for hanging in there. It gives us all hope.

Hugs,
Sandy
Old 08-17-2010, 03:44 PM   #210  

Yeah DITTO bob!

You are missed here, but I can certainly understand where you are coming from right now. What is most imporatant is that you take care of you first, THEN you can come back and be inspired and inspire!
Closed Thread