3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   Primal / Paleo Recipes (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/207257-primal-paleo-recipes.html)

Leenie 07-15-2010 12:49 PM

Primal / Paleo Recipes

Can't wait to see those recipes ... :)

Leenie

wildviolets 07-15-2010 01:07 PM

Sausage, Pepper & "Cabbage" Pasta
BibBob turned me on to sauteed, shredded cabbage as pasta. I have to say that it doesn't taste like pasta but it's very good! In other words, it works for me.
Ingredients
Cabbage
Olive Oil
Assorted Peppers (I like red, green, yellow, hot, etc)
Sausage (I use hot italian or any flavored sausage you can find in your grocery store)
garlic
grape tomatoes
onions
buffalo mozzarella
basil

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large baking dish (13x9) put a few tablesppons of olive oil, a sliced onion, a pint of grape tomatoes, and 2 or 3 colored peppers sliced. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for an hour total or til the tomatoes have "popped" and everything looks nice and brown and tasty. Half way through, add your sausages (sliced in pieces) and a couple cloves of minced garlic.

2. In the meantime, slice your cabbage into long, thin pieces similar to spaghetti. Then saute in a non stick pan with a tablespoon or two of olive oil or butter, salt and pepper to taste. When it's wilted but not brown, remove from the heat and transfer to a plate or bowl.

3. When everything is done in the oven (about an hour total), mix in some buffalo mozzarella that has been cut into pieces. Add to cabbage and sprinkle with fresh basil.

Optional: We love pinenuts so when I have some, I sprinkle some roasted ones on top. But it's not neccesary.

You can vary this any way you want. Sometimes I don't use the mozzarella but instead sprinkle grated romano or parmesean cheese. You can vary the sausages too. They are a great variety in stores these days. I've used spinach and feta, sundried tomato and mozzarella, and just plain italian sausage.

I also vary the peppers. Recently I had a bag of small, colorful sweet peppers from Costcos. I cleaned them out and stuffed them with the italian sausage instead of slicing it. My husband loved it.....he even raved about it the next day! However I gave him regular pasta with his as he thinks my "Cabbage as Pasta" is crazy.

srmb60 07-15-2010 01:16 PM

Simple.

Four slices of bacon and the meat from one sausage. When it was nicely done, I took half and scrambled in 3 eggs.
The other half was added to a panful of swiss chard and I'll have that for supper at work.
All done and set aside in about 15 minutes.

wildviolets 07-15-2010 03:58 PM

Ground Beef and Cabbage

This is something my MIL makes all the time.

Just brown some ground beef with salt and pepper in olive oil. Then add sliced cabbage and cook down.

Simple and tasty.

walking2lose 07-15-2010 05:12 PM

Here's a delicious recipe I found on a blog called Thisprimallife.

I made these when my sister's family was visiting, and they were a hit. Warning -- they are not very sweet - they just have a mild sweetness to them from the honey. Very moist! I also added about 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, and I made these in mini muffin tins. I sprinkled mini dark choc. chips on a few for the kids.

Almond Butter Pumpkin Brownies

Feel free to get creative with substitutions. Try other nut butters, other forms of squash, other sweeteners, spices, mix-ins, the possibilities are endless. I made several batches using either fresh squash that I steamed and mashed or canned pumpkin. I preferred the fresh squash to the canned pumpkin, but the latter worked perfectly well and seemed appropriate for the upcoming holiday.
Consider topping with applesauce and/or whipped cream for a delicious dessert.

Ingredients (only 5!):

1 cup almond butter

¾ cup mashed pumpkin or other squash, canned or steamed

1 egg

1/3 cup honey

1 tsp baking soda

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix well. Pour into a greased 8 x 8 in pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Serves 8.

Some reviewers added cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice and/or nuts, dark choc chips/coconut, cream cheese frosting.

walking2lose 07-15-2010 05:18 PM

I haven't made this one yet but plan to very soon! I got the recipe from marksdailyapple.com

Asian Beef Lettuce Wraps

These are ridiculous...Besides the soy sauce which you probably dont need, its all primal!

1lb. beef (I will probably use venison because I have a pack of ground left in my freezer)
2 red bell peppers
2 Tb. fresh ginger
3Tb. minced garlic
1tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 Cup cilantro
3 Tb. almond butter (or more to taste)
2 Tb. soy sauce (I will use tamari sauce which has no wheat and is therefore PRIMAL)
juice of one lime

Brown beef. Add peppers, ginger, garlic and flakes. cook until peppers are crisp tender. In a seperate bowl mix together cilantro, almond butter, soy sauce and lime juice. stir into beef mixture. Use romaine leaves to wrap up beef mix.

Doesn't this sound yummy?

Ilene 07-15-2010 09:04 PM

Chocolate Coconut Almond Cups

This really curbs a sweet craving :hun:

Chocolate Coconut Almond Cups

Melt 2-3 TBS coconut oil over low heat

Add 1-2 TBS unsweetened cocoa powder

mix in 1 TBS almond butter (optional)

1 TBS almond or coconut flour

Stevia to taste

Add

Unsweetened shredded coconut

Melt first 5 ingredients together over low heat til combined - pour just a bit into muffins tins. Spoon a little shredded coconut, mix in the muffin tin to combine.

Put in the freezer for about 5 minutes or so. They pop out with a knife quite easily. Makes about 6.

Ilene 07-15-2010 10:05 PM

Meatza

Meatza

1 lb lean ground chicken
1 egg,
2T or so bread crumbs (optional)
1/4c parm cheese

- mix above ingredients
- spread it on a parchment paper on a pizza pan,
- cook in a 400F oven for about 17 minutes...
- take out meat crust
- add a thin layer of pizza sauce
- add green peppers, spinach, mushrooms, feta cheese, mozarella cheese, slices of pepperoni. and whatever other topping you like
- sprinkle with Italian seasoning...

I could not believe how good it smelled and how much the rest of the family loved it too!!

Ilene 07-22-2010 01:01 PM

Just had the bestest cauliflower rice...

Grate some cauliflower add to some coconut oil, stirfry, add some butter, herbs to taste, I added thyme and basil... I poured this atop some cut up cherrie tomatoes... OMG to die for :hun:

srmb60 07-24-2010 04:29 PM

I'm finding vanilla protein powder to be a great help with breakfast and/or plain old busy days. My latest attempt was pp, coconut milk, heavy cream and coffee. Fabulous!

walking2lose 07-24-2010 05:05 PM

Susan - do you drink that hot and just stir -- or is it iced and blended?

srmb60 07-24-2010 05:07 PM

I throw it all in the blender so it's warmish. Iced would be nice, yes?

Ilene 07-24-2010 05:44 PM

Yum, I would definitely ice it... I've often had PP and cold coffee iced sooo good... with coconut milk it would be awesome!!! I'm really liking coconut milk :yes:

walking2lose 07-24-2010 06:55 PM

We need a "like" button, like on FB. I'm trying that tomorrow!

srmb60 07-24-2010 08:05 PM

Creamy Cheesy Leeks

I don't know how to measure when I cook something new and experimental but here goes.

I sauteed the white parts of 4 leeks (sliced) in butter. When they were soft and some golden, I set them aside and used the buttery pan. I used somewhere in the vicinity of a cup of cream, maybe a cup and a half and a smidge of a cube of chicken boullion. If you heat this slowly, sooner or later it'll start to thicken. I added 1/2 cup (ish) of cream cheese in dollops. When it was all melted together, I put the leeks back in and stirred until it was hot through.
You must stand there and stir! It'll clump.

I suppose you could use any vegetable and cheese combo. I think broccoli and cheddar sounds good too.

srmb60 07-30-2010 11:26 AM

Last night I made zucchini, onion and tomato in butter with a bit of garlic.

This morning I warmed up the left over (in more butter) and added three eggs. It was delicious!

canadianwoman 08-09-2010 10:21 AM

I tried these last night for dinner. They were quite good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7lBy8kOD78E

wildviolets 08-18-2010 05:50 PM

I got this from some website (can't quite remember where). Anyway, I had a crepe in France with ham and gruyere cheese once and it was fabulous. I've been reading a book which references all kinds of french food and got me hankering for the crepes. So here goes...

Low Carb Ham & Cheese Crepes
Ingredients:
1/4 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
2 large eggs

Directions:
Whisk ricotta and eggs very well. Heat butter in a nonstick pan. Add 2 T of mixture in small frying pan and tilt till it covers whole surface. Only leave on for a few minutes ....until you can flip with a rubber spatula. Cook on other side for maybe a minute. Add a thin slice of ham and cheese, fold and warm on both sides.

Very primal I think....if you do dairy that is. My son ate them with honey.

Ilene 08-20-2010 09:49 AM

Pork Chops with Mushroom Cream Sauce

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky1946 (Post 3445372)
I found this recipe for pork chops that I used to make after I took some cooking classes. My husband asked for it and I told him I am sure it must have some thickener in it to make it a no-no. But I was wrong....

Pork Chops with Mushroom Cream Sauce

Ingredients:

4-4oz pork chops (less than 1/2 inch thick) center-cut, boneless is best
6-8 button mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
2/3 cup white wine
1/3 cup heavy cream
Salt and pepper to taste
1-2 tbsp olive oil (I think I am going to use bacon grease)

Method: Heat 1 Tbsp oil over medium heat in a skillet. Add mushrooms and saute until just golden. Remove mushrooms to a plate.

Add remaining oil to skillet, sprinkle chops on both sides with salt and pepper. Place in hot skillet and sauté about 4 minutes on each side until cooked through. Remove from skillet and keep warm.

Pour out excess oil. Add wine to hot skillet and scape up bits on bottom of pan. Cook (at full boil) until the wine has reduced by half. Add cream and simmer another 4-7 minutes until sauce has thickened. Return mushrooms to the sauce. Taste for salt and pepper. Pour hot sauce over chops and serve.

Note: Do not "sauté" chops more than 1" thick. Brown and put these in 350` oven for 10-15 min. Variation: Exclude mushrooms, add 1 1/2 Tbsp. of Dijon mustard to cream before adding to skillet. You could also replace the white wine with 1/3 cup chicken broth - it does not need to reduce before the cream is added.

Even my picky no-meat daughter loves these.

Cheers,
Sandy

a

srmb60 08-20-2010 11:01 AM

Fresh Peach Salsa

2 peaches
2 slices of onion
balsamic vinegar
lime juice
a pinch of salt

Ilene 09-12-2010 02:40 PM

Primal Rosemary Olive Oil Cake

Ilene 09-20-2010 05:42 PM

I made this egg drop soup today and it was really good DH liked it a lot too... I had a couple of missing ingredients such as chicken broth, I just used water. I also didn't have any sesame seed oil so I ground up some sesame seeds and added it to the soup... It was delish :hun:

walking2lose 09-20-2010 06:26 PM

Ilene - that looks yummy! Did you use corn starch? I wonder if that's carby?

Ilene 09-20-2010 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by walking2lose (Post 3488444)
Ilene - that looks yummy! Did you use corn starch? I wonder if that's carby?

I used corn starch and it has about 2g per 1 tbsp, there are 3 tbsps in the whole pot of soup....

Ilene 01-12-2011 09:36 AM

Another good recipe Homemade Mayonnaise

ChicoryCat 01-12-2011 10:05 AM

Lunch temptation today - I think I can say "no thanks".

OK, I have a personal challenge today.

I work at an elementary school with an on-site cook (who weighs over 350). She is a fabulous cook, but I have been eating her lunches only very selectively because they are often high starch high fat. Today she is making turkey gravy over rice with homemade dinner rolls and butter. Absolutely a favorite of mine, but I haven't had it in a long time.

My significant other is doing some volunteer work on campus today and is planning to order lunch. I have decided to eat lunch from home because I have some excellent leftover roast pork I can eat with a salad.

I've gotten back to low carb eating after the holidays and I don't want to waste a day off on school lunch. I'd rather save it for a dinner with friends some time.

OK, I think writing this has helped me find the resolve I will need!

Ilene 01-12-2011 10:14 AM

Chicory :welcome: to Primal/Paleo/low carb eating... Join us at Primal/Paleo Jan 2011 for some great support and motivation...

Ilene 01-12-2011 06:48 PM

Another nice recipe :

Italian Sausage seasoning
o 1 teaspoon black pepper,
o 2 teaspoons dried parsley,
o 1 1/2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning,
o 1 teaspoon garlic powder ( you can use 2 tablespoons fresh garlic in place of the powder),
o 3/4 teaspoon crushed anise seeds ( can use crushed dried fennel seeds),
o 1/2 teaspoon paprika,
o 1 teaspoon minced dried onions (you can sub 1 small chopped onion for the dried),
o 2 teaspoons salt.
o Optional: 1/8 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes ( can use more if desired)
Knead into 2 lbs of ground pork, make patties and fry.

srmb60 01-13-2011 02:03 PM

From my friend who is celiac.

Caesar Dressing: Make homemade mayonnaise with four fresh egg yolks and two tablespoons of either apple cider vinegar or fresh squeezed lemon in a food processor. Process and drizzle about a cup or more extra light olive oil. Stop when you see it gets nice and thick. I never pre-measure. Add salt and a tablespoon of dijon mustard. That's your mayonnaise. Caesar Dressing next.

Add fresh garlic (to taste - we like LOTS), parmesan cheese, pepper and spices that you like. You can add anchovies if you like them. Add a little water so it becomes runny like a dressing instead of thick like mayonnaise. Delish!

Risssa 02-20-2011 08:43 PM

Brownies
http://www.elanaspantry.com/brownies/

But yesterday I used maple syrup and used a 1/3 of what they were asking for (1/4 if you half the recipe or 3/4 or you follow the recipe as is) and they were just as delicious.

Yes it uses natural sugar, but it is loaded with protein and healthy fat.

Ilene 03-12-2011 08:16 PM

Cream of Asparagus soup:

1 lb of asparagus, washed, trimmed and cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup of chopped celery
1/3 cup of chopped onion
1 cup chicken broth or water
1 can (14oz) coconut milk
1 1/4 tsp sea salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp tarragon

Simmer asparagus, onion and celery in 1 cup water/chicken stock until very tender. Puree in a blender or with a hand blender add coconut milk. Add salt, pepper and tarragon...

Delicious :hun:

I'm svelting! 03-16-2011 07:31 AM

Flax or Almond Quick Bread - aka Rivvin's Angry Bread

Your Hardware:
A square or round glass container roughly the size of bread with a flat bottom.

Your Software:
1/4th cup flax meal or almond meal (they are both delicious)
2 tbsp fat (coconut oil or butter)
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg

Mix all of that together very well and then pour it in your container.
Microwave it for 1 minute 20 seconds.

Congratulations, you just made some bread. Now pop it out of the container and onto a plate and let it cool off and firm up a bit.

Repeat for a 2 sided sammich.

Note: The author is playful and takes on the persona of bread that has been rejected, some of the language he uses may offend.
Source

walking2lose 03-16-2011 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by I'm svelting! (Post 3760514)
Your Hardware:
A square or round glass container roughly the size of bread with a flat bottom.

Your Software:
1/4th cup flax meal or almond meal (they are both delicious)
2 tbsp fat (coconut oil or butter)
1 tsp baking powder
1 egg

Mix all of that together very well and then pour it in your container.
Microwave it for 1 minute 20 seconds.

Congratulations, you just made some bread. Now pop it out of the container and onto a plate and let it cool off and firm up a bit.

Repeat for a 2 sided sammich.

Note: The author is playful and takes on the persona of bread that has been rejected, some of the language he uses may offend.
Source

I read Rivvin's whole thread on MDA a few week ago -hilarious!

So, how did your "bread" turn out? I'm going to try it soon. :)

Arkansas Kel 04-13-2011 10:42 AM

]Strawberry-Topped Chicken and Baby Spinach Salad[/B] (from Rachael Ray magazine)
8 oz fresh strawberries, hulled and halved
1 small shallot
3 1/2 tbs balsamic vinegar
3 1/2 tbs veg oil (I would sub evoo probly)
1 tsp honey
3 skinless boneless chicken breasts (about 1 1/4 lbs) (I plan to use any leftover chicken I have around)
1 bag (6 oz) baby spinach
2 oz goat cheese log, sliced into 4 rounds
1/4 bunch chives, chopped (I plan to use dried as I don't have fresh right now - and estimate)

1. In a blender, puree one-quarter of the strawberries, the shallot, 2 1/2 tbs balsamic vinegar, 2 tbs oil, honey. Season with salt and pepper.

2. Season chicken with salt/pepper. Heat remaining oil in skillet over medium heat, add chicken and cook, turning once, until cooked through, about 8 minutes, tranfer to a plate and tent with foil. (I'll just be using some leftover chicken)

3. Meanwhile, add remaining strawberries, balsamic vinegar and 1/4 c water to the skillet and simmer, stirring until the berries are warmed through, about 1 minute.

4. in large bowl, toss spinach with strawberry vinaigrette and divide among 4 plates. Slice chicken into 1/4 inch thick slices and place on top with the warm strawberries, goat cheese and chives. Season with salt/pepper.

Doesn't it just sound like spring!!!

BabySteps21 01-24-2012 05:46 PM

Paleo Scotch Eggs

Scotch Eggs

- 4 eggs
- 1 pound of lean sausage (minimum of 70% meat is best)
- oil for cooking

Preheat oven to 375 degrees

Prepare hardboiled eggs according to your recipe and cool in ice water. Peel when cooled.

Roll or pat 1/4 pound of sausage evenly flat, wrap around each egg, making sure that none of the egg remains exposed. Fry in medium hot oil on stove top, rolling frequently to brown evenly (this will take about 8 min).

Finish off in the oven for 6 to 8 minutes to ensure that sausage is completely cooked. Eat at once or chill and serve cold later. :eating2:

Good with pickles or hot sauce or mayonnaise or condiment of your choice.

Based on recipe at Mark'sDailyApple.com

bindiboop 01-13-2013 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ilene (Post 3389013)
Meatza

1 lb lean ground chicken
1 egg,
2T or so bread crumbs (optional)
1/4c parm cheese

- mix above ingredients
- spread it on a parchment paper on a pizza pan,
- cook in a 400F oven for about 17 minutes...
- take out meat crust
- add a thin layer of pizza sauce
- add green peppers, spinach, mushrooms, feta cheese, mozarella cheese, slices of pepperoni. and whatever other topping you like
- sprinkle with Italian seasoning...

I could not believe how good it smelled and how much the rest of the family loved it too!!

This was DELICIOUS!!. Made it with half red sauce and half alfredo (doesnt take much), peperoni, sausage, tomatoes, artichoke hearts and olives. After the first couple bites, you forget there is no actual crust.

Heads up thought, use the LEANEST ground beef you can find. I used what I had (80/20) and it was a MESS. I used a pizza stone with foil on the rack below to catch the grease, but I still had to mop up the grease from the actual "meatzza" crust. :hungry:

The New G 07-16-2013 03:58 PM

Sesame Thyme Halibut

preheat oven to 400 degrees

in a glass baking dish, add:
2 tb olive oil
black pepper to taste
1 tb minced garlic
1 tb lemon juice

mix together and then place 6oz halibut filet in dish and coat in mixture. cover and put in fridge for 15 minutes to marinate

take 2 TB fresh sesame seeds and roast in a skillet over medium low heat, stirring constantly for 3-5 minutes until golden and fragrant. pour into a small bowl to cool and add dried thyme leaves (2TB), mix together.

Take halibut out of the fridge and top with a little salt, then put seed mixture on top and on sides. Bake skin side down for 12-15 minutes until opaque in center.

Fish will be super moist and the sesame thyme flavor is amazing.

mtea 11-13-2014 04:51 PM

I love paleo recipes (I'm not on a paleo diet).

Yesterday I had pizza with a cauliflower crust - cauliflower, 1 egg, (some people add cheese but I don't like it), (I also added a small courgette), salt, oregano.

Alex_lose_weight 09-21-2018 02:57 PM

nice recipies :D