3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Carb Counters (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters-117/)
-   -   Primal / Paleo Recipes (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/carb-counters/207257-primal-paleo-recipes.html)

Leenie 07-15-2010 12:49 PM

Primal / Paleo Recipes

Can't wait to see those recipes ... :)

Leenie

wildviolets 07-15-2010 01:07 PM

Sausage, Pepper & "Cabbage" Pasta
BibBob turned me on to sauteed, shredded cabbage as pasta. I have to say that it doesn't taste like pasta but it's very good! In other words, it works for me.
Ingredients
Cabbage
Olive Oil
Assorted Peppers (I like red, green, yellow, hot, etc)
Sausage (I use hot italian or any flavored sausage you can find in your grocery store)
garlic
grape tomatoes
onions
buffalo mozzarella
basil

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. In a large baking dish (13x9) put a few tablesppons of olive oil, a sliced onion, a pint of grape tomatoes, and 2 or 3 colored peppers sliced. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for an hour total or til the tomatoes have "popped" and everything looks nice and brown and tasty. Half way through, add your sausages (sliced in pieces) and a couple cloves of minced garlic.

2. In the meantime, slice your cabbage into long, thin pieces similar to spaghetti. Then saute in a non stick pan with a tablespoon or two of olive oil or butter, salt and pepper to taste. When it's wilted but not brown, remove from the heat and transfer to a plate or bowl.

3. When everything is done in the oven (about an hour total), mix in some buffalo mozzarella that has been cut into pieces. Add to cabbage and sprinkle with fresh basil.

Optional: We love pinenuts so when I have some, I sprinkle some roasted ones on top. But it's not neccesary.

You can vary this any way you want. Sometimes I don't use the mozzarella but instead sprinkle grated romano or parmesean cheese. You can vary the sausages too. They are a great variety in stores these days. I've used spinach and feta, sundried tomato and mozzarella, and just plain italian sausage.

I also vary the peppers. Recently I had a bag of small, colorful sweet peppers from Costcos. I cleaned them out and stuffed them with the italian sausage instead of slicing it. My husband loved it.....he even raved about it the next day! However I gave him regular pasta with his as he thinks my "Cabbage as Pasta" is crazy.

srmb60 07-15-2010 01:16 PM

Simple.

Four slices of bacon and the meat from one sausage. When it was nicely done, I took half and scrambled in 3 eggs.
The other half was added to a panful of swiss chard and I'll have that for supper at work.
All done and set aside in about 15 minutes.

wildviolets 07-15-2010 03:58 PM

Ground Beef and Cabbage

This is something my MIL makes all the time.

Just brown some ground beef with salt and pepper in olive oil. Then add sliced cabbage and cook down.

Simple and tasty.

walking2lose 07-15-2010 05:12 PM

Here's a delicious recipe I found on a blog called Thisprimallife.

I made these when my sister's family was visiting, and they were a hit. Warning -- they are not very sweet - they just have a mild sweetness to them from the honey. Very moist! I also added about 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, and I made these in mini muffin tins. I sprinkled mini dark choc. chips on a few for the kids.

Almond Butter Pumpkin Brownies

Feel free to get creative with substitutions. Try other nut butters, other forms of squash, other sweeteners, spices, mix-ins, the possibilities are endless. I made several batches using either fresh squash that I steamed and mashed or canned pumpkin. I preferred the fresh squash to the canned pumpkin, but the latter worked perfectly well and seemed appropriate for the upcoming holiday.
Consider topping with applesauce and/or whipped cream for a delicious dessert.

Ingredients (only 5!):

1 cup almond butter

¾ cup mashed pumpkin or other squash, canned or steamed

1 egg

1/3 cup honey

1 tsp baking soda

Combine all ingredients in a bowl. Mix well. Pour into a greased 8 x 8 in pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Serves 8.

Some reviewers added cinnamon or pumpkin pie spice and/or nuts, dark choc chips/coconut, cream cheese frosting.

walking2lose 07-15-2010 05:18 PM

I haven't made this one yet but plan to very soon! I got the recipe from marksdailyapple.com

Asian Beef Lettuce Wraps

These are ridiculous...Besides the soy sauce which you probably dont need, its all primal!

1lb. beef (I will probably use venison because I have a pack of ground left in my freezer)
2 red bell peppers
2 Tb. fresh ginger
3Tb. minced garlic
1tsp. red pepper flakes
1/2 Cup cilantro
3 Tb. almond butter (or more to taste)
2 Tb. soy sauce (I will use tamari sauce which has no wheat and is therefore PRIMAL)
juice of one lime

Brown beef. Add peppers, ginger, garlic and flakes. cook until peppers are crisp tender. In a seperate bowl mix together cilantro, almond butter, soy sauce and lime juice. stir into beef mixture. Use romaine leaves to wrap up beef mix.

Doesn't this sound yummy?

Ilene 07-15-2010 09:04 PM

Chocolate Coconut Almond Cups

This really curbs a sweet craving :hun:

Chocolate Coconut Almond Cups

Melt 2-3 TBS coconut oil over low heat

Add 1-2 TBS unsweetened cocoa powder

mix in 1 TBS almond butter (optional)

1 TBS almond or coconut flour

Stevia to taste

Add

Unsweetened shredded coconut

Melt first 5 ingredients together over low heat til combined - pour just a bit into muffins tins. Spoon a little shredded coconut, mix in the muffin tin to combine.

Put in the freezer for about 5 minutes or so. They pop out with a knife quite easily. Makes about 6.

Ilene 07-15-2010 10:05 PM

Meatza

Meatza

1 lb lean ground chicken
1 egg,
2T or so bread crumbs (optional)
1/4c parm cheese

- mix above ingredients
- spread it on a parchment paper on a pizza pan,
- cook in a 400F oven for about 17 minutes...
- take out meat crust
- add a thin layer of pizza sauce
- add green peppers, spinach, mushrooms, feta cheese, mozarella cheese, slices of pepperoni. and whatever other topping you like
- sprinkle with Italian seasoning...

I could not believe how good it smelled and how much the rest of the family loved it too!!

Ilene 07-22-2010 01:01 PM

Just had the bestest cauliflower rice...

Grate some cauliflower add to some coconut oil, stirfry, add some butter, herbs to taste, I added thyme and basil... I poured this atop some cut up cherrie tomatoes... OMG to die for :hun:

srmb60 07-24-2010 04:29 PM

I'm finding vanilla protein powder to be a great help with breakfast and/or plain old busy days. My latest attempt was pp, coconut milk, heavy cream and coffee. Fabulous!

walking2lose 07-24-2010 05:05 PM

Susan - do you drink that hot and just stir -- or is it iced and blended?

srmb60 07-24-2010 05:07 PM

I throw it all in the blender so it's warmish. Iced would be nice, yes?

Ilene 07-24-2010 05:44 PM

Yum, I would definitely ice it... I've often had PP and cold coffee iced sooo good... with coconut milk it would be awesome!!! I'm really liking coconut milk :yes:

walking2lose 07-24-2010 06:55 PM

We need a "like" button, like on FB. I'm trying that tomorrow!

srmb60 07-24-2010 08:05 PM

Creamy Cheesy Leeks

I don't know how to measure when I cook something new and experimental but here goes.

I sauteed the white parts of 4 leeks (sliced) in butter. When they were soft and some golden, I set them aside and used the buttery pan. I used somewhere in the vicinity of a cup of cream, maybe a cup and a half and a smidge of a cube of chicken boullion. If you heat this slowly, sooner or later it'll start to thicken. I added 1/2 cup (ish) of cream cheese in dollops. When it was all melted together, I put the leeks back in and stirred until it was hot through.
You must stand there and stir! It'll clump.

I suppose you could use any vegetable and cheese combo. I think broccoli and cheddar sounds good too.