Old 07-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 192/maintaining upper 120's

Height: 5"8.5" 51 yrs

Default Low carb Chilis or Applebees

What low carb choices do you like at Chilis or Applebees?
Thanks
Karen
Karen925 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 10:48 AM   #2  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen925 View Post
What low carb choices do you like at Chilis or Applebees?
Thanks
Karen

I prefer Cracker Barrel, they have an actual low carb menu. Their smothered grilled chicken tenderloin dinner is to die for!

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 07-05-2010 at 10:50 AM.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 11:45 AM   #3  

I am heading to Gallup NM so don't know if they have Cracker Barrel. Will
Google as along as I have Internet. Was planning on Chipotles.
Old 07-05-2010, 11:50 AM   #4  

Had enough time to check Gallup has CB.
K
Old 07-05-2010, 11:55 AM   #5  
The girl who can

S/C/G: 240/207.8/165

Height: 5'6"

It depends on what you mean by low carb. For me, that's between 20 and 30 carbs per meal.

At Chili’s I do the Custom Combo with Margarita Grilled Chicken and Spicy Garlic & Lime Grilled Shrimp with a side of vegetables (cals 460; carbs 24; protein 52).

Applebee's is difficult because they don't list all their nutritional info online (only certain items) and a lot of their menu options have astronomical amounts of calories and carbs. Unfortunately, it's also the go-to place for a lot of friends because of the 2 for $20 deals and half-price apps after 9. I get the Bourbon Street Steak with a side of vegetables. This isn't listed in Applebee's nutrition info, but other sites say that it has just over 1,000 calories and 90 grams of protein so I only eat about half. Carbs is 8-11 for the veggies and 7 for the steak.

I keep a list of menu options for just about any restaurant I might go to. It's not as fun as sitting down and looking over the menu, but it makes it easier knowing ahead of time what's safe.
Rochester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 01:25 AM   #6  
Come on 20!!!

S/C/G: 184/174/125

Height: 5'2"

http://www.applebees.com/downloads/n...onal_info.html

I work there and have for several years. I eat there at least 6 days a week. I still constantly hear and read so much misinformation concerning what people think is in our menu. Nutritional guidelines are subjective when not found at the website but found at some calorie counting site.

REMEMBER most restaurants will try and give you more bang for your buck. Yes a Bourbon Street Steak is no longer listed because they are no longer using a premarinated steak. They are using the 9 ounce sirloin with just a steak seasoning dusted on it while it is grilling. So the calorie count on those websites are incorrect. If people have questions for a particular restaurant it is always best to consult the restaurant specifically and then let them correctly direct you to the information you need.

If I remember correctly U.S. Guidelines have said that a portion of meat/protein is about 4 ounces. If you are settling for a 9 ounce steak then remember you are eating twice the amount of calories that even the U.S. has recommended. Just because something you order is 1000 calories doesn't mean you should eat the whole thing. Eat what you know is on your plan and save the rest for your next meal. Leftovers are always delish!!

My favorite Low Carb Items to eat....

Shrimp and Parmesan Sirloin 540 calories 5 carbs
Bone In Wings 710 Calories 7 carbs 2 fiber
Chicken Caesar Salad (sans Dressing and Croutons) Count Varies
Santa Fe Salad 86 Teriyaki Chicken Sub Chipotle Chicken (Sans Tortilla Strips, Dressing, and Salsa) Count Varies

Those are just a few of the main things that I LOVE to eat there. Applebee's is one of the few restaurants that will let you alter their menu to suit your nutritional needs without charging for it. I have been to 2 restaurants that charged me $2/5 to alter one of their menu items. That really sucked. Oh well.

Good Luck with whatever you decide on. Also ask your server what she/he recommends they know the best ways to change the menu up without it hurting your wallet.

AppleBuddy
sail7seassoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 03:42 PM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

Applebuddy, any chance I could get you to figure out a 400 calorie lunch that is Zone friendly too!!!! 40-30-30? I work next door to one and could eat there all fo the time once I figure out how to figure out Zone meals LOL>
summersbluepits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:55 PM   #8  

Howdy,
Thanks for the tips. I used them. I found myself when in doubt, sub out the starch for extra veggies, no rolls/bread, salad dressing on the side, and hope for the best with sauce. If it sounded sweet (HFCS perhaps) then I got something else. This worked extremely well for me. I came back form a 3 week trip weighing less while eating well. Hard to feel left out eating delicious Idaho or Utah trout!
Old 07-28-2010, 06:54 AM   #9  
Come on 20!!!

S/C/G: 184/174/125

Height: 5'2"

Summer-

I am not familiar with the Zone. 40-30-30?? Protein fat calories? So the breakdown would be 40g protien 13.3g fat 30g carbs (400 Calories.... breakdown 40% of 400 = 160 and 30% of 400 = 120 and again for carbs = 120) (9g fat = 1 calorie 4g of protein = 1 calorie 4g of carbs = 1 calorie). I know the numbers are correct just not sure if this is what the Zone is. If it is then I would try the Asiago Peppercorn Steak. Talk about yum. Calories is 390 breakdown is 43g protein 14g fat and 26g carbs.

I just had this tonight for my dinner sans potatoes since I do atkins. It is a 7 ounce sirloin covered in cracked peppercorns and shredded asiago cheese. It comes with a side of the weight watchers potatoes and mixed veggies (not the weight watchers veggies). The cost for it at our store is either 10.59 or 10.79 (memory failing) and not sure about your area but, it is a lunch special here on Friday (11am-3pm) the cost drops to 6.99.

I hope you get a chance to come in and try this.

AppleBuddy
sail7seassoon is offline   Reply With Quote