3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Carb Counters

Oh yes! We'll be Primal in May!

Old 05-06-2010, 11:21 AM   #61
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

BibBob, great job on the BP, what a difference! I wouldn't worry too much on the calories either, like Ilene said its more about the carbs. I counted in the beginning to get of an idea of how many I was eating and such, but I have since stopped and just keep a running tally in my head of the carbs throughout the day, I rarely go over 1600 calories I found and usually hang around 30g carbs, but I get plenty of fat!

Susan, you have such a difficult job I'm sure its very stressing at times, at least you know you're fueling yourself for those long days. I hope it calms down some!

Ilene: Funny! I noticed the same about the gas and I even commented to my husband that he has been unusually quiet on the gas front lately! Thank goodness, who knew, I should've had him start this a long time ago! LOL! That is so great about the inches coming off and your clothes fitting better, you're probably walking taller...I feel like I've grown an inch or so, I know its just because I am supporting my body more and feel more lean on the inside.

Wendy, good for you for avoiding the grains like the plague! The more you practice the easier it gets.

I have been volunteering at my sons school the past 2 mornings for breakfast with parents days...the PTA decided to buy every bad carb breakfast known to man and thats what I've been serving, I am embarrassed to be handing out this crap...donuts,pecan rolls,muffins,bagels,honey buns,pastries. I am so disappointed in our school for making these choices. I have joined the PTA now, I'll be 1 of 2 VP's and next school year I will be pushing for some major change at all of our sponsored events, this is so ridiculous, at least they could offer some fresh fruit.

Well, this morning I hit the gym for jogging and sprints on the treadmill and then some free weights, came home ate 2 eggs and meat and I'm not planning on eating much more today, maybe a snack around 4. I have to go clean for 2 hrs at 1:30(I own a cleaning business) so I'll get to burn off some more fat! YAY!

Hope everyone has a great day!

July:
CrossFit 3x wk
Cut back my dairy

koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 12:07 PM   #62
Ilene the Bean

S/C/G: 165/149/140

Height: 5'3"

Kara that is discusting serving that to school age children!! I would definitely get on the PTA band wagon for next years morning menu!

Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:00 PM   #63

Hi Guys,

You're all doing so great! Keep it up!

I've been only so-so this week, but I've gotta keep going. I will admit, the carb cravings have been intense, and working through them ain't easy ... I mean, I know this isn't necessarily about "no carb," at least not for all of us, but sometimes, it feels like it is!

So far today, I've had the following - it's not PRIMAL, but I've avoided the grains so far, which is my focus for now:

Breakfast: Smoothie - milk, flax, banana, cocoa powder
Lunch - Beef/beans/veggies tex-mex style mixture, topped with cheddar and 1/2 of an avocado
Snack - gonna have a pear with peanut butter

I called in sick today. Not feeling my job at all ... that's another story though.

I think I'll go grocery shopping soon. I need to stock up on good, primal foods!

Hope the rest of you have great days!
CheekyMo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 04:01 PM   #64
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

Man, I have fed my kid sweets for breakfast most of her life. It's just so easy and she leaves for school so happy. Ugh. Lately she's been getting eggs and toast and she likes it, but I suspect she's just trying to encourage me. Ya know, having a big fat dad is a little embarrassing, whether she admits it or not. While my diet changed in a day, hers is going to have to adjust slowly, but it is my plan to get her heavy grain consumption under control. I have her supplementing Omega 3s already. I had to bribe her. "Take this and you can do that."

I will be bbqing for 70 5th graders and their parents in a couple weeks. It should be a kick.

Good reading in this thread. I did have a little more salad and some almonds late last night. It is an issue I have to overcome, I guess. I start pacing and don't consider sleeping until I eat something. I skip breakfast and lunch quite easily, so who knows. It's noon on the west coast and I am headed out hunting and gathering.
BibBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #65
Changing behaviours

Wendy I'm drinking green tea with CO right now - so good.

Yesterday and today have been pretty good except for some chocoate chip cookies...

Yesterday
B: 4 chocolate chip cookies (yes, breakfast; yes, four :lol)
L: IF (see above)
S: SAS (small a** salad), some camembert
D: roast chicken, roast veggies, wine

Today:
B:Whey protein shake with coconut milk
L:sausages
S:Greek salad
D: beef kabobs with peppers & onions, green beans

The shake with coconut milk was divine!

The scale is moving down if somewhat slowly, and my jeans today are super loose. That's a great feeling!

And, I did my first kettlebell workout this morning! Wow, that is some routine. I'm sure I'll be super-sore tomorrow.

I have never, ever, not even one time regretted not eating something. Never. Not once. Turns out telling yourself no feels marvelous. No deprivation passing up on *those foods*. The deprivation is EATING them and remaining overweight. You've got to raise your standards; requiring more from yourself. Challenge yourself. Push yourself. Work past the discomfort. Every time you do it, it gets easier and easier - Rockinrobin

Last edited by Fressca : 05-06-2010 at 06:53 PM.
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 10:15 PM   #66
Ilene the Bean

I made a wonderful spaghetti sauce tonight and some super delish roasted green beans, they were sooooo good I had no spaghetti though, and I did not even miss it one iota ... I feel so good I must say

I have some coconut milk I should try it, the container has not been open yet and I've had it for at least a month in the fridge... What could I use it for other than a shake?

Old 05-06-2010, 11:49 PM   #67
hunt and gatherer

For me it was a grain free meatloaf (excellent, btw) and a pile buttery green beans, with a little bacon of course. Mash potatoes were eaten by everyone but me, but I have to say, I love this diet and don't feel at all bad avoiding the bread and taters. I'm actually worried that I am overeating, but I am not cheating.

One organic strawberry and a handful of almonds worked as dessert.

Ilene -- I picked up a pound of scallops today for a Thai Coconut recipe that needs a little paleo tweaking, but that is an easy recipe to google and a great use of coconut milk. Curry Chicken is great with coconut milk. Most any white flaky fish should be fine.

I haven't cheated with sweets yet, but I'm thinking half coconut milk, half whole milk, some good sugar free coco and a banana sounds like a great idea for a shake when I do.
Old 05-07-2010, 07:00 AM   #68

S/C/G: 165/147/128

I was exhausted and frustrated when I got home from work so DH barbequed steaks. Mine was a little "better doner" than I would have liked, so I melted some coconut oil and butter in a little bowl and dipped each bite. Decadent and tasty!

You'll be surprised how much you don't miss grain.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 08:28 AM   #69
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Default not primal, but...

So, I don't really have any interest in going "primal" or eating clean (I literally eat out 7 days a week, so...), but I am focusing on eating high protein, unrestricted fat, and lower in carbs. Here's how yesterday went:

- double protein shake
- bbq pulled chicken with cheese
- salad: shredded lettuce, roasted chicken, shredded cheese, bacon crumbles, mayo, bacon and onion ranch dressing (it had lettuce, so I can call it a salad, right?)
- local steakhouse: couple chunks of the inside of a dinner roll with an entire side of butter, about 2 bites of a dinner salad, pork chop and broccoli with brown butter sauce

Totals:
2036 cals
141g fat
41g total carbs
157g protein

Now, I've got a few quirks about me and why my diet plan is what it is. First, I'm a type 2 diabetic. For me, this means limiting carbs and eating more fat is important not only for weight management, but also for glucose management. Second, I had weight loss surgery a little more than a year ago, and starchy carbs (bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc.) give me uncomfortable bloating and gas. Sweets don't bother me, though, so that's still more of a struggle for me.
Got down to about 185 before pregnancy;
Benjamin David born March 24, 2012, 7 pounds 11 ounces
Post-pregnancy: 206.5
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:05 AM   #70

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Hi Jill!
I'm so sick of lettuce! My "salad" just hasn't had any for months now.

You'll be surprised how much you don't miss grain.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:20 AM   #71
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

1 of the Best recipes with coconut milk! Collards green cooked in coconut milk with onion and some tomato! Yummy!

BibBob: Have you tried Mashed cauliflower yet? Its easy to make and mimics mashed potatoes.

I ended up not eating after work yesterday and just ate breakfast this morning. So about a 20 hr IF. I am eating plenty today, I think I overworked yesterday with the exercise, working and then walking last night, I need to refuel.

Jill: That BBQ makes me want some, its been a while. I'll have to add that to my shopping list.

July:
CrossFit 3x wk
Cut back my dairy

koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 09:52 AM   #72
Ilene the Bean

MMMM great ideas for recipes guys, thanks!!

Jill...

Not much happening today, just a nice 5k run this afternoon with my client... I love running with her she's such a nice lady...

Old 05-07-2010, 12:27 PM   #73
hunt and gatherer

Yeah, gotta try those collards now. When I came off the juice fast two years ago, I was supposed to introduce foods slowly, build up to a "normal salad" on the second day, then eat "greens and beans" for two days. Oddly I got hooked on pintos loaded with collards just heated together with some hot sauce. Sounds a little and looked a little gross, but it was damn good for someone who had just starved for 30 days.

Susan that dip sounds decadent indeed. And look at you at your goal. I love this diet! Who needs sweets or bread when you can dip a grilled steak in coconut oil and butter? Holy cow do I need some coconut oil.

Jill, it seems most of us enjoy a little dairy with our primal. You just need to cut the bread and watch the sweets and you got this. That's some wonderful post op weight loss, btw. Congrats! Stick with us, you can cut a few more carbs pretty easily even dining out. I'm looking forward to a week of restaurants on this diet when I vacation this summer.

On the mashed cauliflower. I keep seeing that recipe, and I will try it, but last night the mashed taters were for kids and made by grandma (my mom).

I blew it with the midnight snacking again. Three egg scamble with a bunch of goodies. Meh. Feeling stuffed this morning, as usual. Not planning on eating until dinner. I thought eating a little later dinner would stop me. Still, I have myself around 1500 calories and that was 6 straight days under 50 grams of carb.

Have a great Friday and a great weekend if I'm not around much.

Anyone want to have a low carb contest this weekend? Come on girls. Gonna let a big fat guy beat you!?
Old 05-07-2010, 12:41 PM   #74
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibBob View Post
I blew it with the midnight snacking again. Three egg scamble with a bunch of goodies. Meh. Feeling stuffed this morning, as usual. Not planning on eating until dinner. I thought eating a little later dinner would stop me. Still, I have myself around 1500 calories and that was 6 straight days under 50 grams of carb.

Anyone want to have a low carb contest this weekend? Come on girls. Gonna let a big fat guy beat you!?
Bob, does it really matter when you eat? Does it not matter more what you eat, if you're eating 1500 and under 50 carbs, my UNprofessional opinion would be that it's ok...

Sure I'm in with the low carb contest for the weekend... How would that work?

Old 05-07-2010, 01:35 PM   #75
hunt and gatherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilene View Post
Bob, does it really matter when you eat? Does it not matter more what you eat, if you're eating 1500 and under 50 carbs, my UNprofessional opinion would be that it's ok...

Sure I'm in with the low carb contest for the weekend... How would that work?
I agree the when is not as important as the what, and I 'think' I'm doing fine too, but if I can kick the midnight munchies, I would really shed some pounds, and be mocking the Warrior Diet program that first caught my interest. When I'm 'morbidly' obese as I am I don't think the slow and steady approach is necessarily necessary. 7% monthly weight drops to the 'severely' obese zone seem reasonable to me. It happens on the Biggest Loser all the time. That would be 25 pounds this month for me. That pound a week advice is for someone approaching their goal, imo. I'm so impatient.

A carb contest? Well, we count carbs on the honor system starting tomorrow morning and ending before we eat Monday morning. This is my first normal weekend on the plan, and there's temptation lurking. A contest might keep me on my toes and accountable when the pizza, birthday cake and ice cream is presented (a 2 year old having a huge party). We seem mature enough here to trust each other's reports and it's not about winning with the lowest carbs. It's about staying on track as a group, and maybe burning some extra neolithic fat.
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.