Old 05-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #46  
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

Thanks Susan. That's a decent description of how I felt, but I would add depressed and lacking any motivation whatsoever. I got over it and ended up very productive. Just now taking a break. I'm smoking the rest of the cod. I'm also upset to find sugar and refined oils in just about everything. How important is it to worry about the safflower and peanut oil in my almonds or the sugar in bacon?

Back on the flu thing, the juice fasters all warned me that I was going to detox and get very sick for a couple days. It never happen. Dr. Harris (PaleoNu) doesn't buy the idea that burning fat where toxins are stored creates detox symptoms and I agree that's probably wishful thinking and simplified biology from the cleansing and fasting fad, but I definitely felt funky this morning. I'm thinking the difference is sugar. Juice fasting had me running on sugar from the fruit and I felt great. I've consumed no sugar but a couple slices of bacon in four days. I'm all for the change but whatever adjustment my body needs to make, I hope it hurries.
BibBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:31 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Oh yes Bob, it'll pass. Just hang in there.

I'm beginning to understand why folks try low carb, celebrate losing several pounds in the first few days and then quit after a few weeks. There is definitely a transitional period. And it ain't pleasant but it does pass.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:04 AM   #48  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

BibBob...yep, its that sugar. I felt weird for a week or so starting on day 4ish. I just felt lightheaded and groggy, but that went away and its been great since. The sugar in bacon is usually very minimal, lots of PBers don't worry about it, others buy the more expensive 4.99/5.99 stuff that usually won't have sugar, my budget doesn't allow so I stick with the best I can find. As far the oils, I would try to limit safflower oil and peanut oils but don't just trash the almonds, when you're done with them opt for raw almonds or roasted almonds IMO.

So...I went 23 hrs without eating yesterday, that was just crazy to me. I never got hungry after breakfast(3 eggs,espresso w/coconut milk/6 oz. sausage) and just drank my water all day and felt great. I even ran a 1.5 miles and walked 1 mile and did a few strength exercises. My husband thinks I'm loony, I still can't believe how great I feel. I did break the fast this morning because I had an early meeting and I got nervous thinking I might not be focused enough, but I think next time I'll stick it out to the 24 or more mark.
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:11 AM   #49  
Ilene the Bean

Now that I think of it, remember girls/guys when I had the pains in my stomach for a week or so, 2 weeks ago, this may have been the way my body was reacting to deal with withdrawals... Interesting
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 09:47 AM   #50  

Fressca & bibbob: I don't drink coffee, but I love coconut oil in my hot tea. It's the only way I can drink it without sugar. I buy nutiva brand in a big tub. It does have a more coconuty flavor than some oils, which I love. I think I bought it either from amazon or luckyvitamins. I'm not sure. It's also great topical. I use it for my daughter's diaper rash.

I'm not doing too well on being primal. I'm having a hard time with stress this week from work. I'm going to get groceries tonight so that I am better prepared to say no to temptations.
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 12:33 PM   #51  
hunt and gatherer

Hi Wendy / Everybody,

My quest for local coconut oil continues. The last market in this whistle stop of a town is a three mile walk, so I'm heading out in a few minutes. If that fails I will be in Los Angeles in two weeks helping my mom who's having knee surgery at age 83. I'll stock up on paleo supplies then. Also, I'm hesitant offer motivational encouragement beyond the most basic, but one of the reasons I chose this diet is because it's pretty easy compared to other nonsense I have tried. I personally made a lifetime commitment on May 1st after carefully analyzing what that meant, right down to how to handle stress, bad habits, restaruants, holidays, tragedies, successes, everything. Wrap your mind around the idea that this diet works in any occasion and pack some smoked salmon and macadamia nuts with you. I know we have to limit some major "food" sources from our previous lifestyle, but just look at what that lifestyle did and eat something paleo! I put food in parentheses for a reason.

Yesterday ended up being the same as the others. I put the smoked cod in a BAS with a bunch of raw spinach and other goodies. Grilled some thin pork chops and roasted more broccoli. The late night snack was about a cup and a half of the last of the broc. Pretty solid day. My guess is 13-1400 calories and under 50 grams of carbs.

Ilene, I have a subtle ache in my stomach after every decent sized meal, but this has gone on for about a year. Since feeling funky that same ache has been constant. It will pass, I am sure.

koceank -- I'm going to have to knock off the late night munchies if I am going to make a 24 hour fast. It's either that or eat nothing all day until midnight and that just seems wrong. You keep inspiring me. Tonight a bigger dinner finished by 6 and no late night caving. Then we'll see if I can make in 24 hours. That late night snack has me waking up full and in no need of fuel through my day. Whatever works, right?

ps... I noticed my face looks thinner while I was shaving... woot!

Have a good day all.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:29 PM   #52  

I ran into the guy I've gotten organic beef from once before! So, I've got a quarter coming later this month!

Could be Ilene. Are you feeling better?

I put coconut oil on my legs.

Wendy, grocery shopping always renews my conviction that I'm doing this and enjoying it.
Old 05-05-2010, 04:37 PM   #53  
Ilene the Bean

Susan, thanks for asking, I am fine now... Although I am really hungry today... gonna have some BA veggies tonight with shrimp It's gonna be good
Old 05-05-2010, 05:55 PM   #54  
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

I've seen people writing how great coconut oil is for their skin, I may buy a gallon and put a little in my bathroom, it couldn't hurt!

Ilene, that definitely couldv'e been the reason for your tummy troubles.

I was a sidekick to my friends grocery shopping trip, wow, I really see things so much clearer now, I just wish my closest friends and relatives would also get the wake up call...her cart was full, full of boxed foods and other junk, I think I saw 1 watermelon and a few bananas go in. While we were there I also saw a family with 2 carts and they must have had every piece of junk in each cart, between frozen dinners and ice cream and cookies and chips, etc....its one thing to moderate certain things, but when that is your entire diet...WOW! I almost felt sick just looking at all the food they were piling in there, I wish I had a pamphlet or something I couldv'e snuck to them.LOL!

BibBob: I think you made a great choice choosing this lifestyle, and it is easy. I tell myself each day that I'm not depriving myself and enjoy all of this energy that has come from this choice. I know that I'll always have to watch my carb intake, but really I've learned that I should be more mindful of the choices I make since they affect my body in different ways. You do what feels right in regards to the late nite snack, I know that for me to lose the amount of weight I need to that late nite snacks are a no-no, plus I hate feeling full in bed, just personal preference. AWESOME that you are noticing a difference in your face! It will only get better!

Today:
B-3 eggs, 4 bacon, espresso w/cm
S-strawberries
D-Pesto Shrimp salad(I made a pistachio pesto,shrimp,squash,mushrooms,tomato,feta,lettuces ...it was good!)
koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:58 PM   #55  
hunt and gatherer

My impatience was fed with good news today. My blood pressure, measured twice a month for the last year, has been high and bothering me. I have avoided meds insisting I could get a handle on it with diet. 138-149 over 101-115 has been my range -- hypertension numbers. I check it at the pharmacy in that grocery store I walked to. So after a 3 mile walk, and given a 1/2 hour pushing a cart around and chatting with friends, I checked the bp. 128 over 78! No way. Checked it again 128 over 81. Finished shopping and walked to Walmart where they also have a machine. Checked it again. 129 over 79. Booyah!
Old 05-05-2010, 07:02 PM   #56  

That is awesome Bob!
Old 05-05-2010, 09:50 PM   #57  
hunt and gatherer

Yeah my need for instant gratification that causes my fasts is happy about that.

How do people count calories.

I just ate a big salad with:
A strip of bacon (chopped to bits)
A couple tbspns of Feta
A couple ounces of smoked cod
A hard boiled egg
An avocado
A small carrot
A stick of celery
A handful of broccolo
A handful of cauliflower
Healthy handfuls of spinach and romaine
A splash each of balsamic and red wine vinegar

I ain't bothering to calculate that. Calories are probably fine, carbs are low. I also had some sauteed mushrooms. Now I just have to get to sleep without munching.
Old 05-06-2010, 05:33 AM   #58  

I think calorie counting is an old habit that is hard to break. I've read many times that it's not necessary for primal.
However ... if you ever run into some unhappy circumstance like a plateau or weakness or weariness ... it might be worth a try to see what you can tweak.
OTOH ... as far as your salad is concerned ... mostly, the vegetables won't add up to much. So whether you count a half cup or a whole cup, the calorie difference isn't much. If you wanted to count, the bacon, cheese, fish, egg, avocado would need to be more accurately measured. By cup or food scale. If you wanted to know. But if you're losing and your blood pressure is amazing ... just keep on doing what yer doin'.

Yesterday was quite awful at work. Actually, the whole week has been hard work! Too many very sick people and not enough nurses. I could really really use a much quieter day today. I really could.
My stamina is good but I could use a few moments once in a while to collect up my thoughts
Old 05-06-2010, 09:01 AM   #59  
Ilene the Bean

Hang in there Susan, times will get better, they usually do... <

I wouldn't bother calculating that either Bob...Since I've been doing Primal when I count my calories on Fitday I don't really look at calories but at carbs only... I've rarely gone over 1500 cals since being on this program. I'm coming to realise that I sure ate a LOT of carbs, good carbs, but still a LOT and they took up a good percentage of my intake of food...

TMI ahead --- Another thing that I've noticed about low carbing is that I have wayyyy less gas, but I regularly go to the bathroom TMI I know ....

This morning I got time to take measurements and lost a half inch almost everywhere except my thighs where I lost a whole inch ... I feel very slim today for some reason, my rings are loose, skirt is loose , it's all good ...

Does anyone get the daily email from Mark Sisson? There are some great bread alternative recipes today One is Golden Flax Bread which I will try in the next couple of days...

Have a great Primal day everyone

ETA: Yesterday's food was :
Fat (46%) Carbs (13%)
Protein (30%) Alcohol (11%)

Last edited by Ilene; 05-06-2010 at 09:06 AM.
Old 05-06-2010, 09:48 AM   #60  

Today is a new day! I had sausage and strawberries for breakfast. I went to the store last night and bought a rib eye steak and some broccoli. I'm looking forward to a lower carb day.

Looking back at yesterday, I didn't do to bad. My work picnic was after work. I had a piece of fried chicken, a bunch of raw veggies, a few strawberries and a cookie. I avoided soda, potato salad and pasta. Yeah!
wendyland is offline   Reply With Quote