Oh yes! We'll be Primal in May!

You're on Page 3 of 22
Go to
  • Quote: Ilene: How do you prepare rhubarb? I'm a huge fan but have never done it.
    I just clean it, cut it and put it in a pot and let it simmer till it looks like apple sauce, I used to add Splenda or sugar but now I just eat it added to other fruits, like berries... It's very tart but yummy...
  • Nope, you're right. It's Omega 3's I take. Sorry. I'm so bad with either/or's

Crockpot? Fatty pork roasts, beef roasts ... I did a pile of chicken legs last week with spices. I'm experimenting. It's all good!

Gotta go pull some weeds. I'll post better later
  • Quote: I just clean it, cut it and put it in a pot and let it simmer till it looks like apple sauce, I used to add Splenda or sugar but now I just eat it added to other fruits, like berries... It's very tart but yummy...
    It's good raw too (in very small amounts), if you like very, very sour things.

When my brother and I were kids, we had a big rhubarb patch in the back yard and when the rhubarb was ripe, we'd eat the stalk raw (sometimes we'd each get a small bowl with a couple tablespoons of sugar and we'd dip the rhubarb in sugar before each bite).

I always save at least one stalk to eat raw whenever I buy rhubarb (using Splenda instead of sugar). You don't want to eat too many raw though, as it can have a laxative effect (when we were kids we'd usually make ourselves sick with the first rhubarb of the season, forgetting every year how much was too much).
  • Thanks guys! When I was younger I lived in NY and my mom would always go this one farmstand and buy homemade strawberry rhubarb pies...I am going to attempt a Primal version. But I love sour and tart things, so rhubarb is perfect for me. Thanks for letting me know about the laxative effect, "note to self"!!!!!
  • It's not funny how many of my recipes include breading, or a can of soup loaded with carbs, or something sugary like bbq sauce. Is soy sauce out for primals? I'm about to cook some cod and debating how to cook it, so this will make an 17-18 hour fast. I have only had water today. Oh and a little hunk of provolone when I got in the door. See those are the things that we lose track of.

My go to cod meal would be fish and chips or fish tacos. Breaded and pan fried in olive oil and garlic topped with a lemon wedge has been requested. I guess I can do a few like that and do mine without the breading. Adding fries for the kid, slow roasted broccoli for both of us and a spinach salad for me.

Oh, the hike was great. My next door neighbor gave me ride at the 8 mile mark. It's getting hot here and walks like that will be few and far between very soon. I walk liesurely koceank so don't let the distance impress you. One of the paleo blogs has a long thread about long meandering walks being the most beneficial. It works for me. Keeps my back and joints from aching and I am lucky to have three hours in the mid morning to hunt and gather. I took a long break at five miles in an air-conditioned market.

No coconut oil in this town.
  • Primal strawberry rhubarb? Be sure to report back on THAT one!
  • I got nothin' new kids. I'm nicely tired and am pretty much ready for bed.

Oh how about a recipe?

Those butt chops in the crockpot? I took them out when I got home from owrk and threw a can of kale in the drippings. I chopped up some of the meat and fat and slopped a big scoop of the kale over top. It was wonderful!
  • Quote: It's good raw too (in very small amounts), if you like very, very sour things.

When my brother and I were kids, we had a big rhubarb patch in the back yard and when the rhubarb was ripe, we'd eat the stalk raw (sometimes we'd each get a small bowl with a couple tablespoons of sugar and we'd dip the rhubarb in sugar before each bite).

I always save at least one stalk to eat raw whenever I buy rhubarb (using Splenda instead of sugar). You don't want to eat too many raw though, as it can have a laxative effect (when we were kids we'd usually make ourselves sick with the first rhubarb of the season, forgetting every year how much was too much).
    My brother and I used to do the same

Today's macro nutrients were : 1,242 cals, 86.6 fat, 61.6 carbs, 67.6 protein... I should eat more protein but I'm not hungry ...

I had the best medley of roasted veggies tonight, broccoli, cauliflower, red and green peppers, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning with olive oil...delish
  • Hubby and I ate out today for both brunch and dinner. Breakfast was easy (gyro omelette with feta cheese and extra onion and bell pepper).

Dinner was even easier. We weren't planning on dinner out, but one of our errands today was shopping the asian grocery stores (found a new one which has a deli and a small dining area). I found my favorite smiling fish products (cheapest I've found in town, 85 cents a can instead of $1.00). Smiling fish is a Thai brand of canned seafood. They may can other things, but I buy the sardines and mackerel (often in flavored sauces such as tomato sauce, chili sauce, and curries). Some of the products are extremely low-carb, but some have added sugar so I have to read the labels carefully.

In the deli we bought food to take home. Both hubby and I made very primal choices. I had laab, which is a minced meat salad (the meat was beef, but it can be made with any meat) flavored with green onion, lime, chilis, cilantro, lemon grass, basil, mint and served with a large bed of lettuce (sometimes cabbage instead of or in addition to the lettuce). Slices of tripe (just the inner stomach, and cooked until very tender) and pork skin are sometimes added. Mine had tripe, but no pork skin (beef skin is more authentic, but pork skin is easier to get than beef skin, I've been told).

Hubby chose a thai-style sausage and a pork rib (a strip of boneless rib meat with a thick ribbon of fat covering the meat and the skin still attached).

I got a little bit of the rib (there was only one left or we would have each gotten one). They're awesome. Our friend Kia who owns a thai restaurant makes them better, but she hasn't been able to get in the pork with the skin attached, and you really want that strip of skin, because it's like a pork-flavored cross between bubble-gum and jolly rancher (the texture, not the flavor).

I know it sound weird, but it's a heavenly bit of porky goodness.

The sausage is an all-meat sausage with oriental flavors (cilantro, lemon-grass, fish sauce and garlic).

And we got everything for under $10. Can't beat that for dinner for two (and there is some of the sausage leftover, because it was over a foot long).

A little low on veggies today, so I'll try to pay extra attention to the veggies tomorrow. I made a huge pot of ground pork stir-fried with garlic, scallions, fish sauce and a huge mess of pea leaves.

Pea leaves are another great find from the asian markets. They're the young leaves of pea plants (the french restaurants call them pea tendrils and charge lots of money for them. In the asian stores and the farmer's market they're $1 a bunch. The leaves have the texture of delicate cabbage (raw). Cooked they're almost like spinach.

Also at the market I found garlic chive flower buds. Awesome. They taste like a cross between chive and garlic, but instead of having to peel them, you can slice them like regular chives (they're a little meatier than normal chives, almost like a super tiny green onion). The unopened garlic buds are very delicately garlic flavored. Sweeter than the youngest garlic clove you can imagine.
  • kaplods -- Wow sounds like you had a great time primal shopping you are definitely making me hungry!!
  • Hungry? I just want to go shopping with them

I don't think any of my chives are garlic chives. I might have to add that to my list of things to plant.
  • BibBob: Fressca? Coffee with coconut oil? Wut the hey?

It's something I read about ages ago on a low-carb forum; thought I'd try it because CO is a very healthy oil and supplementing with it can improve your Omega 3 to 6 ratio. At first I didn't like it (oil slick on top of hot coffee), but I persevered and now - yum. I get the extra virgin kind that still has a mild coconut taste; the expeller pressed kind has no taste and can be used for frying.

Yesterday was good! It turned out like this:

B: coffee with coconut oil
    L: bacon and eggs
    S: peanut butter (ack! should've been almond)
    D: salmon fillet, green beans, wine

Looks very low on calories, but I certainly wasn't hungry.

Today will be similar with something pork-y for dinner.

Kaplods, your shopping expedition sounds fabulous! What a great market.
  • I want to go shopping with you kaplods! I miss asian markets, when I lived in Hong Kong it was so great to just run down to the market and find all kinds of unique foods that we'd never eat otherwise! I'll have to do some research and find one near me! You definitely can't beat that price for both you and hubby to eat.

I'll report back on the straw-rhubarb pie, I'm thinking of an almond crust, I'll give a go this weekend.

Ilene, your veggies sounded delicious.

BibBob, you could do an almond or coconut crust or both, that would be tasty, not the same, but good!

I have a busy week so I'm hoping the scale will move some!
    Yesterday I ate my salad for lunch at 12:15 and by the time I had a minute to relax at 5:45 I wasn't even hungry, so I drank a cup of decaf and called it a day foodwise. After the kids were in bed last night I did some a Jillian Michaels DVD, she kicks my butt, not Primal but I like how driven she is and her that DVD is a monster!

No rain finally today, so I'll be going outside for a walk and gardening, I'm about to head to the gym for a jog, I'm shooting for 2 miles today!

Have a great day everyone!
  • Describe the symptoms of carb flu please. I don't have any typical flu symptoms. I just feel very tired this morning.

I am pretty much on a Warrior Diet IF pattern and since it's no bother, I think I will stick with it. I am skipping breakfast and lunch and eating a filling dinner and topping off with a late night snack. Dinner was about 8 oz of cod grilled in butter and garlic with a big pile of roasted broccoli. Late night snacking was two more Hebrew National dogs wrapped in romaine, two hard boiled eggs and two slices of swiss cheese. That snack is about 700 calories -- maybe more than the dinner, which I cannot calculate because of the butter, but my guess is about 700 also.

I'm wondering if I'm doing this right, knowing there probably isn't one right way. I want to be in full blown ketosis. I like that feeling and the taste in my mouth sort of reminds me good things are happening. Fasting always puts me right there. I'm not sure with this type if eating. I guess I should pick up some ketosicks or maybe I shouldn't worry about it.

I am obsessing a little about not feeling that mental clarity boost, about not feeling any weight loss (though I haven't weighed), about almost always feeling full except maybe an hour before dinner, about how much fat I should consume and if I am screwing that up.

I doubt you ladies can talk me off the water fasting ledge. I am very close to going for a "cleanse" to "know" I have taken off some fat, to "know" I am in ketosis, and to feel better. I am having coffee right now with no plans of eating anything today. My stomach hasn't growled once since I started. I like it when my belly is talking. It means good things are happening.

My brother would read this post and say it's a good thing I went to a forum for chicks because I am acting just like one.
  • Crap! I lost my post! Ok let me see ...

I have used ketosticks. I lost weight with and without them. I only was ever in ketosis but eating fat, not by fasting.

I'm not sure if low carb flu is a real thing or not. It's probably just the symptoms of your body learning to use fat stores for energy. I felt hypoglycemic. Stupid, lethargic, droopy, weak ... Kinda like I used to feel that a cup of coffee with cream and sugar helped.

There the phone rang and I had to talk for a while so I really have no idea what else I was going to say