3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community  

Go Back   3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community > Diet Central > Carb Counters

Oh yes! We'll be Primal in May!

Old 05-13-2010, 01:40 PM   #136

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildviolets View Post
About the coconut oil...I bought some at a CSA food conference. It says Organic Virgin Coconut oil and it looks like Crisco. Is this the stuff you put in tea and coffee? Why do you do that? I'm trying to use it but when I fried somethign in it recently it had a coconut flavor to it....which isn't bad but I would certainly get sick of it after a while.
I use it to fry anything. I like it best with a stir fry. I love it, but my husband hates the coconut smell when I cook. It's hard until it gets warm. Mine usually liquifies in the summer months. There are some brands with less of a coconuty flavor. I buy nutiva, which is definitely has flavor. I eat it by the spoonful.

There's a lot of info about it on healingnaturallybybee.com. She also has a yahoo group where people ask questions called candidasupport. People talk about coconut oil on it all the time and which has more flavor than others.

The coconut oil also makes great brownies (although that's not very primal)
Old 05-13-2010, 01:43 PM   #137

I've been really busy this week at work with lots of overtime. I'm still working on eliminating grains. It's been hard with all the stress in my life lately. I may not be posting much for awhile, but I'll try to keep up with reading posts. I really like the group.
Old 05-13-2010, 05:14 PM   #138
Kara

S/C/G: 375/see ticker/185

Height: 5'10''

Good job BibBob, I've heard onion rings coated in unsweetened coconut flakes are good too! Onion rings sound yum!

So far so good since my pizza mishap. I'm in the midst of a 24 hr IF. I ate at 7am this morning and had 2 houses to clean today and figured I may just IF since I don't like the late night snacking. So far so good! I'm so thirsty though from sweating like crazy today, cleaning + 85 degrees + humidity = misery! but fat burning! Can't wait to get on the scale in the morning!

July:
CrossFit 3x wk
Cut back my dairy

koceank29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 12:29 AM   #139

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Good evening on this ... first part of my four day weekend!

Tiredness is usually my enemy but I did alright today.
restaurant breakfast without toast
egg, butter, cheese
tomato, cucumber and broccoli with cheese, almonds and salmon
a scoop of almond butter
one cookie ... hey it's nurses week. I had to try one!

And now I'm ready for sleep unencumbered by the need to go to work tomorrow!

You'll be surprised how much you don't miss grain.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:00 AM   #140
Ilene the Bean

S/C/G: 165/155/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusanB View Post
have a nice sleep...

Yesterday I went to a jewelry party, such gorgeous stuff Of course I spent ... but I had a decadent chocolate desert and a rhubarb/strawberry crumble cake BUTTTTT I was down 1 again this morning to 148 : ... I was soooo worried that it would be up because of the sugar and bloat that accompanies when I eat sugar, I was very happy this morning...

Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:11 AM   #141
Changing behaviours

Hi everyone.

Just checking in... I've had a not-so-good week following Mother's Day. DD sent a personal chef to make brunch for MIL, SIL, me and the other family members, and while the meal was fairly primal (fruit kebobs, spring greens with feta, beef tenderloin, carrots, green beans, creme brulee), I went completely off the rails on Mon, Tues, Wed & Thurs. I think champagne was the trigger. And it is just amazing to me how quickly the pounds pile on. On Sunday morning I was around 171; today, 178. Sigh. It's discouraging, but I have to get back on my primal horse. And quickly!

I have never, ever, not even one time regretted not eating something. Never. Not once. Turns out telling yourself no feels marvelous. No deprivation passing up on *those foods*. The deprivation is EATING them and remaining overweight. You've got to raise your standards; requiring more from yourself. Challenge yourself. Push yourself. Work past the discomfort. Every time you do it, it gets easier and easier - Rockinrobin
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:21 AM   #142

Good morning everyone!

What a lovely gift Fressca!

Old 05-14-2010, 09:45 AM   #143

S/C/G: 302/217/181

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
one cookie ... hey it's nurses week. I had to try one!

Another nurse!

Yeah, for nurse's week, every single day they were offering cakes and fatty lunches filled with carbs: pizza, subs, chips, loads of cola, cookies, and even in our thank you card, we each received a coupon for a candybar. I immediately gave away my candy bar coupon.

There wasn't a single nurse's week item that wasn't food related on my unit. We should know better. Instead we stuff each other with comfort food.

I did not indulge, but my journey is just beginning, and I have a long long way to go, so I worked hard at abstaining.

At home, my husband still is using ice cream because of his throat (tonsillectomy). I have gotten better at ignoring it, but when we were all playing kid cranium last night, both my son and husband were chowing down on dishes of ice cream. I countered it with a bowl of strawberries dipped in some yummy balsamic.

I haven't lost weight this week, but I am ok with that. I've lost 10 pounds in less than a month, so stop and start is perfectly reasonable. Trying to be patient.

Last edited by katerina11 : 05-14-2010 at 09:52 AM. Reason: ypotay
katerina11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 09:56 AM   #144

I have never been able to figure out why patients seem to think nurses need chocolate.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:23 AM   #145
hunt and gatherer

S/C/G: 368/300/198

Height: 6'2"

It was my intention a few days ago to wait for today and write up my primal observations after two whole weeks. It's surprising how much there is to observe, mostly good, but some bad too. But my personal problem mentioned above was basically just another financial hit. My 83 year old mom lives with us and is having knee surgery this week. My 10 year old has missed 3 days of school going back to last Friday and is out again today, this is the third miss, though she attended Tue - Thur. She is battling something. Grandma thinks it's puberty. Oh joy, but she feels pretty bad, runs fevers, sleeps a lot. Poor kid got home from school yesterday at 3:15. I was sitting here on my computer. She sat on my bed and started telling me about her day, what she needed to do to catch up in school, and literally fell asleep talking to me. She didn't wake up until 7pm. This isn't good. Doctor sees her later today. So with all this stuff going on, all I ate yesterday was some slow cooked brisket and broccoli. My stomach is talking about this morning.

This will be another jam packed day of juggling personal and work schedules. The problem is I am the only who can drive! But here's my question. I'm sure we've all seen the income and obesity scales that suggest obesity is demographically an epidemic with the poor. I'm not poor. I'm pretty happy with my work and lifestyle, but I cannot afford to stick to all organic veggies, grass fed beef, free range chicken and eggs. It's just not in the current budget. Or maybe I don't believe enough to force it into the bugdet. I'm only feeding three and none of us are big eaters at the moment, but things are a little tight now. I look at a $12 roast and it's $25 dollar grass fed version, and well, as long as the beef says antibiotic and hormone free, that's what I gotta do, primal or not.

Sorry for the venting. I feel like I'm adding weight to a light thread. Eek.
BibBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 10:31 AM   #146
hunt and gatherer

Quote:
I have never been able to figure out why patients seem to think nurses need chocolate.
I've always found chocolate medicinal so it would seem the patients need the stuff not the staff. I stood in front of the huge row of fresh bread at my local market yesterday and took a big whiff! Fresh baked bread smells so good. Then I thought about everything I've learned about health and grains and easily walked away. I couldn't smell the chocolate up the candy aisle, but I know I don't dare tempt myself like I did with the bread with that stuff. Heroin!

Last edited by BibBob : 05-14-2010 at 10:32 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 10:34 AM   #147
hunt and gatherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassykathy View Post
I countered it with a bowl of strawberries dipped in some yummy balsamic.
Great use of the word countered.

Why does mention of strawberries and balsamic make my mouth water?
Old 05-14-2010, 10:44 AM   #148
hunt and gatherer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koceank29 View Post
Good job BibBob, I've heard onion rings coated in unsweetened coconut flakes are good too! Onion rings sound yum!

So far so good since my pizza mishap. I'm in the midst of a 24 hr IF. I ate at 7am this morning and had 2 houses to clean today and figured I may just IF since I don't like the late night snacking. So far so good! I'm so thirsty though from sweating like crazy today, cleaning + 85 degrees + humidity = misery! but fat burning! Can't wait to get on the scale in the morning!
Thanks. You're doing great. Sorry I cannot keep up with everyone's situation, but did you previously mention IFing a lot? I seem to naturally IF daily. No breakfast, no lunch, no worries. It allows me to eat more unrestrained when I finally do. Anyway, I am planning a slightly extended IF for next week. I have tickets to the next two Laker games and that's a lot of driving, road food, and restaurant food in LA -- hanging out with my very non primal friends down there. I have no idea how it will go, but I am planning a fast from Tuesday morning maybe through Wednesday sometime, maybe 36 hours. I guess that last stretch of hours can really burn some fat and I'm all about really burning some fat. I only weigh once a month, and I believe the first couple months should show some hefty loss numbers because it is easiest when really fat and it's motivating to see the big numbers too. It also silences the critics who do not understand low carb, and I have a bunch of them right now. Anyway. Wanna join me in an extra effort fat burning extended IF next week? I want numbers!
Old 05-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #149

We're not rich either. In fact we're kinda struggling since DH started his own business. I simply do the best I can, in ordinary grocery stores. I am looking forward to exploring more markets and things this summer but if the prices are too high, we won't be able to do it.

I think there's even a Mark's Daily Apple blog post about frugality.

There are several blog posts. I found this one helpful.
http://www.marksdailyapple.com/grass-fed-meat-options/

Last edited by srmb60 : 05-14-2010 at 11:05 AM. Reason: add link
Old 05-14-2010, 11:24 AM   #150
Ilene the Bean

S/C/G: 165/155/140

Bob, I eat Primal but not organic, when I'm rich and famous - yea right -- I'll go organic, grain fed, yadda yadda yadda... but for now it is what it is... We do what we can with what we got ... You're doing excellent, I can't wait to see your numbers when you do your monthly weigh-in...Too bad about your daughter ... I work in a school and a lot of kids get mono, could it be that?

Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Posts by members, moderators and admins are not considered medical advice
and no guarantee is made against accuracy.