Old 11-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #1  
Changing behaviours

Height: 5'7"

Default What low carb products can't you live without?

I'm making a trip to the Low Carb Grocery this afternoon to pick up some Da Vinci's syrup and some Mama Lupe's tortillas, if they have them (I don't like the La Tortillas). These are about the only specialty low-carb products I use, everything else is protein, dairy and veg. Am I missing anything? Any low-carb products that are to die for?
Fressca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 02:52 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

Love the Arnold low carb bread! Its only 6 carbs and there is no high fructose corn syrup. I know some of the other brands have that so I like the arnold one. Also some wraps that I love are by this brand called ole`. They are so soft and taste even better then the white wraps. They say low carb on the front and have like 1 net carb. Delicious!
Kritter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2009, 03:15 PM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

I might buy an occasional bottle of DaVinci's syrup....otherwise, I stay away from all so-called low carb "products" and stick with real foods
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2009, 01:33 PM   #4  
Changing behaviours

So I ended up with - a hazelnut syrup and the Mama Lupe tortillas! Nothing else really grabbed me.

I've looked at the Shirataki noodles, leeway, but I just can't bring myself to try them; they look so... slimy! Maybe one day I'll get brave and give them a go
Old 12-12-2009, 01:17 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 248/248/190

Height: 6 ft

I can live without all the Walden Farms products... the only tolerable one if you doctor it up alot is the marinara sauce.
sbinkerd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 248/248/190

Height: 6 ft

try this low carb bread recipe:

This is called "focaccia" because it is baked in that style -- flat on a sheet pan, and then cut up into whatever sized pieces you want. It works for toast, sandwiches, and other bready uses. It is "rough" in texture like heavy whole grain breads. Since it isn't made with wheat, it doesn't have the same kind of grain as wheat breads, but the carb in flax is almost all fiber. Flax is very useful on a low carb diet, as well as being amazingly good for you.
Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups flax seed meal
  • 1 Tablespoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1-2 Tablespoons sweetening power from artificial sweetener
  • 5 beaten eggs
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 1/3 cup oil
Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 F. Prepare pan (a 10X15 pan with sides works best) with oiled parchment paper.

1) Mix dry ingredients well -- a whisk works well.

2) Add wet to dry, and combine well. Make sure there aren't obvious strings of egg white hanging out in the batter.

3) Let batter set for 2 to 3 minutes to thicken up some (leave it too long and it gets past the point where it's easy to spread.)

4) Pour batter onto pan. Because it's going to tend to mound in the middle, you'll get a more even thickness if you spread it away from the center somewhat, in roughly a rectangle an inch or two from the sides of the pan (you can go all the way to the edge, but it will be thinner).

5) Bake for about 20 minutes, until it springs back when you touch the top and/or is visibly browning even more than flax already is.

6) Cool and cut into whatever size slices you want. You don't need a sharp knife; I usually just cut it with a spatula.
Nutritional Information: Each of 12 servings has less than a gram of effective carbs (.7 grams to be exact) plus 5 grams fiber, 6 grams protein, and 185 calories.
sbinkerd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:48 PM   #7  

I'm interested in trying that bread, but wondered if the sweetener is necessary? I'd prefer a "regular" bread, not a sweet one and since I've never baked ANY bread I didn't know if a sweetener was necessary to get plain bread flavor.

TIA.
Jane (real old-timer who's trying to get started back!)
Alajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 02:18 AM   #8  
Paleo-ish Girl

S/C/G: 255.5/174/160

Height: 5'6"

Flax seed can be kind of bitter by itself. Coupled with the baking powder, that recipe seems like it will need a little sweet to even it out. You can try some Rice Bran (I got mine from Bob's Red Mill) which is also low carb but has an inexplicable sweet taste.

Or, you could skip the baking powder and use quick-rise yeast, which will take longer but cut out some of the bitter.
Altari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:30 PM   #9  

Height: 6-1.5

I tried low carb bread/tortillas and thought they were awful, so I don't use bread on anything-- I've just adapted to not having cerials in mylife. I think the only substitute I use on a regular basis is stevia to sweeten my coffee.
giselley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2010, 11:43 AM   #10  
Changing behaviours

Quote:
Originally Posted by giselley View Post
I tried low carb bread/tortillas and thought they were awful, so I don't use bread on anything-- I've just adapted to not having cerials in mylife. I think the only substitute I use on a regular basis is stevia to sweeten my coffee.
I don't like the La Tortilla Factory tortillas; they taste rubbery to me. And the only sweetner I use is stevia, but only rarely since I don't take sugar in my tea or coffee. I think low carb really is better done "au naturel", from the grocery store's outer aisles.
Old 02-15-2010, 11:02 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

I'm just starting a low- to moderate-carb plan, and I've decided to try out some baking... so this week I'm picking up flax seed meal, and either almond flour or coconut flour (not incredibly low-carb, but helps me stay mostly grain-free, which is one of my goals).

I'm ok with using cornstarch or flour to thicken sauces/soups/etc, but arrowroot powder is lower in carbs (I think - or maybe you just need less of it?) and some people use vegetable gums like guar or xanthan. Those might be useful.

I am using a lot more cauliflower than before, to take the place of rice or potatoes! But that's not a "product." I guess other than artificial sweetener (I use splenda) I don't really use many.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2010, 11:25 AM   #12  
Changing behaviours

I've been wondering about almond/coconut flour; Dr. Atkins has quite a few receipes in DANDR that call for soy flour and I'd rather not use that. Maybe almond flour would work instead. Let me know how your baking turns out!
Old 02-16-2010, 02:53 PM   #13  

How long has Tova Carbquik Bake Mix been around? I was very successful in low-carb in 1999-2003, lowing 90 pounds, but then fell off the wagon and found them all plus 30 of their friends! I never heard of this bake mix the first time around, but I just started back 12 days ago and have seen this highly recommended on another low-carb board. I'm planning to order it and try it out soon. Has anyone here tried it?
Alajane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 287/215/149

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by giselley View Post
Mama Lupes low-carb tortillas are very good. Only 3 grams net carbs (7 total - 4 fiber).
CJZee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 05:59 PM   #15  
Changing behaviours

Alajane: I haven't tried Carbquik, so can't give you any feedback there.

CJZee: I'm trying Mama Lupe's tortillas tonight. I'm hoping I like them better than the La Tortilla Factory brand, which taste rubbery to me.

Last edited by Fressca; 02-16-2010 at 06:00 PM.