Old 08-25-2008, 12:09 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 315/197/148

Height: 5'6"

Default Lolitas/Angels 8-25 to 8-31

I'm starting us off for a new week. I started my new WOE yesterday.
Yesterday went well. A little grumpy but not too bad. Today, I'm starving. This plan limits both my carbs, proteins and fat. It's physican supervised so I have confidence I will survive. As in not die. I have decided though that if I become too hungry I could eat a little more protein. I followed the plan a few years ago thinking I was doing it correctly but came to find out the initial RD I saw, calculated my protein wrong. It was double what I was supposed to have. I managed to lose 60 lbs. I didn't really get over that though, made me feel like I was only half successful. It's silly I guess. I'm following it the way intended now, and I've decided that I I think I mentioned previously that I'm working the Beck program too. It's been very helpful. I'm taking a quick break at my desk now and off to the gym here at work in about an hour and a half. I think today, wednesday and friday will be cardio and tuesday/thursday will be weight training.

Have a good day ladies!
FitMommaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 02:40 PM   #2  

Hello, I had a busy weekend, I'm kind of glad it's over. Haven't been near a computer since Thursday-and that's weird for me.
I have a question for you all. Someone came into our office the other day selling Herbalife. I looked at her stuff and did some Internet research and decided it was just another gimmick. She was also recommending that the one meal a day (the other two are shakes) is low fat. Sounds like a stravation diet to me! I'd be way way too hungry. I didn't really consider doing it. I don't beleive it would work and even if it did, it's not healthy, but the other two people in the office are all gung ho. So, my question is, how negative can I be before they get mad at me? No really, it's not a question. I know I need to keep my mouth shut and let them see how it won't work, but one of the my coworkers is diabetic and doesn't seem to be able to manage it very well. She's always complaining about her health, and then eating junk. It's really hard to NOT say something. I know that she would feel much better if she did the low carb thing.
I'm probably out of ketosis at this point, but I'm not going to worry too much until after Labor Day and then back to induction!! This time I'm making DH do it too.
Talk to you all later.
lynnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 03:15 PM   #3  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Many years ago, I tried Herbalife...it was quite expensive (even way back then) & needless to say, it didn't work. I personally am not a fan of any plan that has you replacing meals with shakes for the simple reason, that doesn't cause you to change your eating habits for the rest of your life. A woman I used to work with went on a Dr. supervised liquid diet, she replaced 2 meals with shakes...she did lose weight but...guess what happened, as soon as she began eating real food, she gained weight +++. People don't seem to understand if they want to get the weight off & keep it off...they must change their eating habits for the rest of their lives.
Sounds like your co-worker with diabetes could benefit greatly from eating low carb. My Dad is an insulin dependant diabetic, for the most part he eats low carb (lots of veggies & meat) and his #'s are very good. His Dr. is very pleased. Unfortunately, people hear the word Atkins and they freak out! I've heard it all from I'm going to destroy my kidneys to Dr. Atkins died from his own diet Now I just keep silent (most of the time) and let the results speak for themself.
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 08:49 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 200/Ticker/135

Height: 5'5" / Low Carb WOE

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerseyGyrl View Post
Now I just keep silent (most of the time) and let the results speak for themself. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]
Sometimes it is sooo hard though. And hi Kim!

Bigmomma, you can do this! If you are staying hungry all the time though I might discuss it with your doctor to see how you could expand your diet.

Lynn...I feel your pain. If it were me I'd say stuff but I'm not known for my tactfulness.

Last edited by snapless; 08-25-2008 at 08:51 PM.
snapless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 08:22 AM   #5  

Default Happy Tuesday

Well I was down this am by a few, so something must be working. I'm not officially going to post a weight until Sunday which will be one week. I did allow myself a little more protein. I was by no means full or even very comfortable but it took the edge off. I think my sinus' are starting up for fall so I may just be a crab *ss. Please don't hold it against me. Did 30 minutes on recumbant bike yesterday and will do weight training today. Thank God for Beck, it's helping ground me to why I'm doing this to begin with. Sounds a lot like what you said you did on your own in another thread when you started Snappie. I don't really know much about Herbalife but I do know how hard it is not to express conflicting opinions. Being diabetic, I'd be nervous doing something like that especially without my Dr.'s seal of approval and monitoring. Not to mention that I was under the impression some herbals interact with medications. Hang in there Lynne and know that your instincts were spot on and quietly lead by example. What's new and exciting in your neck of the woods, Kim? Wonder where everyone else is???
Old 08-26-2008, 03:49 PM   #6  

I wish I was quietly leading by example, but right now my example wouldn't be very good. I know I can stay OP and lose weight, but I just don't want to right now. After Labor Day, when the summer parties are over, I'll straighten out. I don't think I've gained very much over the summer. It's mostly weekends when I blow it, so I don't think Induction will be too difficult. I'll get back on track!
Last night I made cauliflower rice and put half of it in the freezer. I hope it freezes well. I just put in the chopped up, cooked cauliflower without any seasoning so I can use it whatever way I want. The last time I made it, I got kind of sick of it before it was gone.
Another change after Labor Day. I'm making DH do Atkins with me. He needs it! Of course that leaves DD16 the only carb eater. And she needs carbs for all the running she does. But I won't be able to make her high carb foods if DH is around because he'll eat them, so she may have to get her carb fix at school. I'm pretty sure school lunches are high enuf in carbs!
I don't get the Atkins is unhealthy line too often, but in public I usually just say low carb instead of Atkins. I don't really understand the attitude at all....
Old 08-26-2008, 04:32 PM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnar View Post
I don't get the Atkins is unhealthy line too often, but in public I usually just say low carb instead of Atkins. I don't really understand the attitude at all....
Lynn...quite frankly, its not an attitude...its pretty much ignorance. People are not educated about Atkins and therefore they tend to listen to other ill-informed people or the media that says people on Atkins sit and eat lbs. of bacon, red meat & butter all day long. They don't bother to do any research, they just repeat the rubish they've heard. When anyone comments about my weight loss...and they ask me "how did you lose so much weight?"...I smile and say "Atkins!!!"
Old 08-26-2008, 09:30 PM   #8  

You are so nice Kim. I tend to become a vehement protestor at times.

I have to share this story from yesterday. It's kind of wierd but in a good way (I think).

I was shopping at the local (military) commissary w/DD5 and arrived in the cheese section. Now for me, while I do limit my cheese intake it is one thing I can count on being able to eat a small portion of to 'take the edge off' if I am really hungry between meals without tempting me to snack a lot.

Anyhow, I get to the cheese section, and I pull my cart over out of the way of other shoppers and stand there staring at the cheese wondering what the flavor of the week is going to be.

All of a sudden this well-muscled so I'd guess military man (obviously married and I'd guess in his 30s) steps in front of me and says, "No cheese. Don't eat the cheese, it's a horrible temptation but it will make you fat."

Everyone here knows I've lost about 40 lbs. and over 8 inches in my waistline...since May...but this man didn't know that.

So I told him. And I told him I eat cheese almost every day. Whole cheese, not lowfat. And I told him the results of my latest physical and bloodwork.

He goggled and said he always felt guilty when he ate cheese and worked out harder when he did. He then asked me how I was doing this while eating cheese.

I smiled and told him it was a variation of Atkins. Then I described the kinds of foods I eat (he could see the results in my shopping basket). During this time his wife had walked up and she said first, "You've got great skin." and then asked me if my doctor approved. I just smiled and said, "wholeheartedly". Told them if they were interested to buy the book and talk to their doctor.

And these two were in great shape! At least to my un-medically trained eyes.

And all of this over some guy thinking he had to protect me from cheese.
Old 08-27-2008, 10:00 AM   #9  
Larry's Angel

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapless View Post
You are so nice Kim. I tend to become a vehement protestor at times.
Oh trust me Suzanne, I am not always nice But I've learned, people make idiotic comments for 2 reasons...they are either ignornant or mis-informed...or they are jealous. I've been the recipient of both. When I hear "OMG you're on ATKINS...thats dangerous & thats going to kill you!!"...or...the famous "Don't you know Dr. Atkins died from his own diet!" I just laugh to myself. Jealousy is probably more difficult to deal with. As many of you already know, I've encountered plenty of jealousy with my SIL. She doesn't like that I've lost weight & she likes it even less that people (her family & friends) have noticed. As my Mom so eloquently tells me "she is more to be pitied than censored"...so, I've just learned to smile and say thank you in spite of her obvious seething. Unfortunately her jealousy over my weight loss has been passed along to my brother, who, in the 4+ years I've been on Atkins has never said "You look good"..."I'm proud of you"...nothing Although I understand his reasoning for not mentioning it...it still makes me feel bad.

Your story was inspiring & you should be quite proud of yourself...you were a shining example of low carb eating to someone that was obviously mis-informed. There is nothing better than positive results about something someone views as negative (Atkins or low carb in general) to cause them to eat their words!!
Old 08-27-2008, 10:18 AM   #10  

Kim, I guess I naturally chose the path of least confrontation. Of course, when I get back on Atkins full time and lose 60 pounds, I may be more comfortable defending the WOE. But what I don't really get is why doctors and other professionals aren't convinced. (Actually my personal doctor is. He told me he does low carb too - not Atkins, but at least low carb.) I guess the industry that's putting out all the low fat foods, diet bars, and diet drinks is just too powerful. But it seems like professionals, like my doctor, would see past all the hype and come around to what actually works.

Aud hasn't checked in lately. Hope everything is all right. We're missing several people, aren't we? Hope they're all all right.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:15 PM   #11  

Default Wednesday

The plan I'm following is almost atkins except that they restrict fat and protein. I increased both slightly and I was even down to 282 this am. That's 10 lbs from last week (unofficially). I thought the scale was broke, but my husband's was fine. I defend when put in that position. I think Kim's right though. Many people hear something said on tv or the radio and they assume it's fact, which is really sad for them. People can be idiots
My Hubs is still passing a kidney stone. This is day two. BBL
Old 08-27-2008, 06:44 PM   #12  

Lynn, not all doctors ignore the positive results of a low carb diet. My doctor (military) approved it prior to my beginning and has been extremely impressed with the results I've had since I started (and I'm not just referring to weight loss).

We are missing a few yes. Aud, Fay, and a few others. Petra hasn't been seen in months Hope everyone is doing allright.

Mommacat: I'm so sorry your husband is going through that, I know it is extremely painful (had to watch my ex-husband go through it...back when I actually gave a damn ). Not trying to be cliche but as you know...this too shall pass. It hurts but there shouldn't be any lasting problems from it.

Keep us informed on how the weight loss is going and how you are feeling.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:50 PM   #13  

Aud, where are you? Have you seen Fay or Lilly or Petra or any of our other missing Lolitas/Angels?
I've had a busy day and am now heading home to warm up leftovers! I love leftovers! See you all tomorrow.
Old 08-28-2008, 08:28 PM   #14  

Default so tired

Pretty good day today. Might have exceeded 20 gram carb. Need to buy ketostix this weekend. Hunger isn't quite so intense. I think I will see how it goes at these levels and if I'm not losing I'll cut back.
Any exciting plans for the holiday weekend? Nothing really here. Have a good night!
Old 08-29-2008, 08:28 AM   #15  

Today is going to be rough with food. We're having a lasgnana day. I brought the salad. I know I will be okay. There is a veggie version and I'll pick out the noodles. Getting back to gym today whoo hooo. Wed/Thurs were lunches out with friends. Need to make some activitiy happen this weekend too. Scale read 283.6. Happy Friday everyone!