Old 03-02-2008, 05:45 PM   #1  
Cookie??!?!!

S/C/G: 145/143/120

Height: 5'4

Red face Sorbitol

I recently checked the ingredients in my chewable fiber pills and they have a sugar alcohol..sorbitol. Should I stop taking them?
Sarae878 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 07:40 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 203/157/125

Height: 5'4"

It really depends on what effect the pills are having on your weight loss. I was chewing Trident with Xylitol [another sugar alcohol] and could not figure out why my cravings returned and I would bloat up. Then I read this book that explained that sugar alcohols do have an impact on blood sugar just not as much as regular sugar and they can cause bloating and other problems.

Why don't you stop taking them for a few days, eat as well as possible, avoid all things you know cause gastric problems for you. Then take them again and see how your body reacts. That is always the best way to tell if something is causing problems.

There is a long discussion here [see page 2 or 3] about sugar alcohols started by JerseyGyrl. You should read it and use some of the links to read up on sugar alcohols.
sylvia78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 10:39 PM   #3  
banned

S/C/G: 185/165/150

Height: 5'9 - 40 and fabulous!

I wouldn't...the benefits from the fiber will far surpass the carb content. Remember the fiber is what helps to quickly push all those nasty carbs OUT of your body. However, as with everything...check out the carb content (which is probably negligible) on the label and add it in to your daily carb total. I think it's a great habit your in (checking carbs on everything)...I know you'll do great with Atkins. Keep on truckin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarae878 View Post
I recently checked the ingredients in my chewable fiber pills and they have a sugar alcohol..sorbitol. Should I stop taking them?
bambifox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 01:42 AM   #4  

I saw your post just now and a question popped into my head.

Why are you taking fiber pills? Why aren't you getting your fiber from the carbs that you are allowed. If you are having elimination problems, you are probably eating too much protein or not enough water.

Why don't you add spinach to your salads? It is all natural and no issues with artifical sweeteners.

Just so you know, I take natural over man made any day. I usually add 3-4 cups of spinach to my salad everyday.

Last edited by sylvia78; 03-03-2008 at 01:44 AM.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:25 AM   #5  
Cookie??!?!!

Well Im in induction and the Atkins (1972) book says if you are not losing weight then cut back on salads for awhile. So Im trying to get my fiber from other sources.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:15 AM   #6  
banned

Try what you like...but I definately would not cut back on the salads if I were you...9/10 times that's not the culprit of a stall. Remember a stall is considered 4 weeks or more with no loss. As I am like you (down to the last 20 lbs)...my weight loss is crawling/creeping down very slow..much slower than when I had more to lose...and I'm working out like a banchi woman! This is normal from what I read...however, induction does seem to give alot of people constipation/irregular bowl movements. I think just adding the extra fiber should help regulate you. Also...if your not going #2 regularly...then how can the body expel that burned fat...it can't...when your going #2 regularly in addition to good diet/exercise...you'll see that scale move! At least this is my experience...Keep on truckin girl!

Quote:
Well Im in induction and the Atkins (1972) book says if you are not losing weight then cut back on salads for awhile. So Im trying to get my fiber from other sources.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:54 AM   #7  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Ok, time for my 2 cents here. Constipation comes from not consuming enough fiber. Fiber comes from veggies & salad. Personally, I am not following Atkins 72...the 2002 version of DANDR (Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution) is my bible, and it states that 12-15 of your 20 carbs per day on Induction should be coming from veggies on the acceptable foods list & salad. It is also very important to drink a lot of water...at least eight 8 oz. glasses a day. Water means water! It does NOT mean Crystal Light, herbal tea, coffee, diet soda. If you still experience difficulty...Dr. Atkins recommends psyllium husk or ground flaxseed. These are natural things that do not contain chemicals & sugar alcohols

As discouraging as it may be, Dr. Atkins says a true stall is no loss on the scale or in inches for 4 weeks. Personally I wouldn't cut out the salad...do you eat a lot of cheese? Its just difficult for me to wrap my head around the thought that salad could be causing you to not lose weight
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:19 PM   #8  

I know you are following the 1972 version but have you read Dr. Atkins New Diet Revolution? I have never read the original version, but no where in the new version does he say to cut back on salad. If you are in a true stall, you are suppose to do a fat fast and this lasts only a few days.

JerseyGyrl is correct. During induction you are to get at least 3/4 of your carbs from your the veggies that are on the acceptable veggie list.

However, you are also only supposed to have 4 ounces of cheese and 2 tablespoons of heavy cream. How much cheese and cream if any are you eating? Are you drinking any other dairy product? Do you use any other sugar substitutes or diet products, like bars and shakes? Why don't you posted a samply daily menu.
Old 03-03-2008, 10:35 PM   #9  
Cookie??!?!!

Heres my daily menu:
Breakfast: Cheese Omelet
Lunch: Salad with chx and chz normally but last couple days I have been eating chicken
Dinner: Steak no veggies
Dessert: 1cup of low carb choc milk (3 carb)
Old 03-03-2008, 11:40 PM   #10  
banned

Doesn't seem like your getting enough veggies. Also, you may want to eat more (I know this sounds crazy) meals per day. 5-6 times/day is optimal for weight loss. It revs up the metabolism. Also, it really doesn't seem like your getting enough calories in/day to keep your metabolism from going into starvation mode. If your on the go alot, perhaps a protein drink (zero carb whey protein) may be just the ticket at squeezing in those healthy calories without the carbs...hope this helps. Joyce
Old 03-04-2008, 11:20 AM   #11  
Cookie??!?!!

Thanks Bambi. Im one to eat dont get me wrong, but I use to eat 5-6 small meals but now Im just not hungry. Should I still eat?
Old 03-04-2008, 11:32 AM   #12  
banned

Yeah...me too! My appetite's totally in the toilet! I thought exercise was supposed to make you hungry and increase appetite..huh! But to answer your question, YES...I'm in the same boat as you...and I'm forcing myself to eat "something" for breakfast...which is my least hungry time. I'm a coffee/cig in the morn kind of person. I could never actually find the time to eat so many meals per day...so I just supplement with the whey protein (0 carb...I use Isopure Vanilla)...I also mix in banana/fresh strawberries...yum! I usually have it after my workout as it seems to replenish my body nicely without bloating me out!

I've learned (mostly from female bodybuilders) that when you've got those last 20 lbs to lose, it can be harder than if you had 100 lbs to lose. You've got to feed the body with plenty of protein...protein...protein, next complex carbohydrates (needed for energy, quick burning fuel when you exercise), and essential fats. I'm going to start looking into some further supplementation as many people at our stage are recommending glutamane, fish oil caps, and amino acids. I'm trying to find the best ones...but plenty of woman swear by them. They say it helps us woman shed the last few pounds more than just diet/exercise alone...cuz of all the exercise we lose alot of the vitamins, etc. in our food (sweat it out) so muscle growth (which is really the goal) is stunted...and thereby so it weight loss. I'll let you know anything that I try if it helps or not.

Quote:
Thanks Bambi. Im one to eat dont get me wrong, but I use to eat 5-6 small meals but now Im just not hungry. Should I still eat?
Old 03-04-2008, 11:46 AM   #13  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

Quote:
Heres my daily menu:
Breakfast: Cheese Omelet
Lunch: Salad with chx and chz normally but last couple days I have been eating chicken
Dinner: Steak no veggies
Dessert: 1cup of low carb choc milk (3 carb)
Atkins 72 is different than the later versions of Atkins. On "Level 1" of Atkins 72, you basically eat 0 carbs. The rules also state "Do NOT eat when you are not hungry". It does state however, that you should be eating 2 small salads a day (a cupful loosely packed). Veggies are not added until you are on Level 2.

These are a few sample menu's on Atkins 72:

Sample menu, level one:
Breakfast: Scrambled eggs with spicy ham, Diet revolution roll and butter, Bouillon, coffee, or tea
Lunch: Cold cuts sandwich on Diet revolution Roll w/ mayo or mustard, 1 cup of salad (loosely packed), oil & vinegar, or a dressing from the recipe list, Raspberry gelatin, Diet soda, coffee, or tea
Dinner: Chicken soup with Matzoh Balls, Your favorite cut of steak, Caesar salad with Caesar Salad dressing, Gelatin, diet soda, coffee or tea
Snack: baken-ets, stuffed celery, diet soda.

Sample menu, level two:
Breakfast: Lox and stuffed onion omelet, caraway Diet revolution Roll with cream cheese, Bouillon, coffee, or tea
Lunch: Avocado stuffed with crabmeat, Tossed green salad with dressing from recipe list, diet soda, coffee, or tea
Dinner: Mixed grill with garlic Butter Sauce or Béarnaise Sauce, Tossed salad with French Dressing, Gelatin Parfait with whipped cream, diet soda, coffee, or tea
Snack: Assorted smoked fish, Hard cheese, Diet soda

This is the basic Atklns 72 plan:

Not sixty grams of carbohydrate on this diet but zero grams
Here’s how this diet is significantly different. During the first week on this diet, you cut your intake of carbohydrates down to what is biologically zero.
This creates a unique chemical situation in the body, the one favorable to the fastest possible burning of your body’s stored fat. Ketones are excreted, and hunger disappears.
You see, the first fuel your body burns for energy comes from the carbohydrates you eat and drink. If any carbohydrate is available, your body burns this rather than stored fat-and maintains its old metabolic pathways. But carbohydrates, as such, are not stored in the body beyond forty-eight hours.
So when no carbohydrate is taken in, your body must draw upon the major reserve source of fuel-the stored fat.
It is forced to take a different metabolic pathway. In this process your body converts from being a carbohydrate-burning engine.
This is The Diet Revolution: the new chemical situation in which ketones are being thrown off-and so are those unwanted pounds, all without hunger.
A gradual addition of carbohydrate to keep your body burning it’s fat as fuel. We must maintain this chemical situation if you’re to continue to lose without hunger. And if we add carbohydrate very gradually in tiny amounts-we can do just this… keep your body converted into a fat-burning engine.
So that is just what we do. The second week you might add a few grams of carbohydrate to your diet. Every week thereafter a little more carbohydrate (around five grams) may be returned to the diet.

The Rules of Original Atkins

The Diet Revolution Rules (Level One)
1. Don’t count calories (so why are so many counting them?)
2. Eat as much of the allowed foods as you need to avoid hunger.(see, no limit)
3. Don’t eat when you are not hungry.
4. Don’t feel you must finish everything on your plate just because it is there.
5. Drink as much water or calorie free beverages as thirst requires. Don’t restrict fluids… but it is not necessary to force them either.(It doesn't say anything about 1/2 your body weight in water)
6. Frequent small meals are preferable.
7. If weakness results from rapid weight loss, you may need salt.
8. Everyday take a high-strength multivitamin pill.
9. Read the labels on “low-calorie” drinks, syrups, desserts,. Only those with no carbohydrate content are allowed.

The First Life-Changing Week, eat nothing that is not on the list.
Meat: Steaks, Corned beef, Lamb chops, tongue, Hamburgers, Bacon, Any kind of meat in any quantity—except meat with fillers such as sausage, hot dogs, meatballs, most packaged “cold cuts”
Fowl: Duckling, Turkey, Chicken, Anything with wings, No stuffing
Desserts: Gelatin with artificial sweeteners (e.g., D-Zerta )
Condiments: Salt, pepper, mustard, horseradish, vinegar, vanilla, and other extracts; artificial sweeteners; any dry powdered spice that [i]contains no sugar
Drinks: Water, Mineral water, Vichy, Club soda; Beef or Chicken broth, bouillon; Sugar free diet soda; coffee*, tea, decaffeinated coffee
---------*Special note on caffeine and Diet Cola. Because most heavy people have some hypoglycemia, coffee, which contains caffeine, should be limited to six servings a day (cups). If you know you have low blood sugar, better limit it to three.
Fish: All fish, including canned salmon, tuna; any kind of seafood, including oil-packed and smoked, except oysters, clams, muscles, scallops, and pickled fish
Eggs: Boiled, fried, scrambled, poached, omelet – any style and without limitations(another NO LIMIT)
Salads: Two small green salads a day (each less than one cupful, loosely packed) made only of leafy greens, celery, or cucumbers and radishes. Dressings with vinegar, oil, salt, dry spices, herbs, grated cheese, or anchovies. Or else a sour pickle in place of a salad. Plus… green olives.
Butter & Mayonnaise Fats: Butter, margarine (head New Diet Revolution & eat no margarine with trans fatty acids), oils, shortening (not such a great idea), lard & mayonnaise (fats have no carbohydrates).
Juice: Juice of one lemon or lime
Cheese: Four ounces a day of any hard aged cheese. No cream cheese or cheese spreads.
Heavy Cream: Four teaspoons a day. (Cream has less carbohydrate than milk – so don’t use milk)
Diet Revolution Salad Material: Celery, Chicory, Chinese Cabbage, Chives, Cucumber, Endive, Escarole, Fennel, lettuce, Olives (Green or Black), Onions, Pickles (Sour or Dill), Parsley, Peppers, Radishes, Scallions, watercress.
What Happens After The First Week’s Diet. Most diets are fixed formulas and are therefore short-termed and self-limiting. This diet is fixed only for a week. After that – because it must be a lifetime diet, it is, as variable as are individual tastes.
I’ve labeled the additions of carbohydrate that follow’ second level’, ‘third level’, ‘fourth level’, ‘fifth level’, but in fact the additions are interchangeable and flexible. You can make any of these additions any week that you choose. I am so committed to making this a livable lifetime diet that I am letting you select your own variations, within the rules set up by your biological rulebook.
Put back what you’ve missed the most: The idea is simply to gradually return to your diet first what you missed most. Custom-tailor the diet to suit your carbohydrate additions to suit your lifestyle. All that matters is that you add back to your diet a little carbohydrate at a time, and that you stop adding carbohydrate when you reach your CCL.
How to know when to put back a little carbohydrate: Ask yourself: Are the keto-stix still turning purple? Am I still un-hungry? Have I stopped eating at night? Do I have more energy? Am I still losing weight or inches nicely? Remember, your tape measure is a lot better friend than your scale, not only more accurate, but better able to report on the actual fat (not just temporary water) losses this diet achieves.
The Second Level: Cheesecake for dessert? At each level, remember you add approximately five to eight grams of carbohydrate daily for a week and analyze the results. Most people agree the best way to handle the second level is to add cottage cheese…
The Diet Revolution Vegetables (not for level one): All of the above plus; Asparagus, Avocado, Bamboo Shoots, Bean Sprouts, Beet Greens, Broccoli, Brussels Sprouts, Cabbage, Cauliflower, Chard, Chinese Cabbage, eggplant, Kale, Kohlrabi, Mushrooms, Okra, Onions, Peppers, Pumpkins, Rhubarb, Sauerkraut, Snow Pea Pods, Spinach, String Beans, Summer Squash, Tomatoes, Turnips, Water Chestnuts, Wax Beans, Zucchini Squash

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 03-04-2008 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 12:07 PM   #14  
banned

Wow!!! That's alot to swallow...I think I'm feeling full just reading all of that! Hee hee!

Okay...but I think you missed one crutial point, she doesnt have an appetite and she works out frequently.

Seriously though...I think you've got to use the Atkins book as a "guide", but never, never in replacement of good old fashioned common sense! There are those of us that don't have any appetite, very busy (forget to eat), and it's a struggle to eat enough when you do eat. Not sure if it's the exercise, increased protein needs during building muscles (which Atkins doesn't seem to discuss)...but if I were to only eat when I were hungry...I'd eat one small meal/day thereby sending my metabolism into the firey "pits of ****"!

I talk to lots of people who say, "you can't do Atkins and lift heavy or sustain a fierce exercise routine"...I get pissed, cuz I totally believe that low-carb/high protein is the only way to go for energy, weight loss, and muscular development. But...if you were to follow Atkins by the book...you really could never hang in their with a tough workout regimen...especially nothing that includes any heavy lifting. I know...I've tried...I get pooped out within the 1st 15 minutes...didn't realize that I needed more protein and yes...CARBS!
Old 03-04-2008, 12:23 PM   #15  
Larry's Angel

I know someone who's a bodybuilder (she benches over 500 lbs & competes pretty regularly) and she eats very Atkins like (lots of protein & veggies but not full fledged Atkins)....but....you're right,lifting that kind of weight requires more carbs & supplementation.

Personally...I couldn't do Atkins 72 ...but if it works for some (and it obviously does)...then more power to them! I enjoy my veggies too much!! And I've gotten into enjoying my protein shake before my workout

Last edited by JerseyGyrl; 03-04-2008 at 12:31 PM.