Old 01-10-2008, 08:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 280/ticker/140

Height: 5'6"

Default beans on low carb?

I find I loose easily on low carb (have done Atkins, Sommersize and Lean For Life with success in the past) however, I really don't like the taste of meat and eventually fall off the plan.

This time around I'm using more cottage cheese than in the past. I'd also like to exchange chick peas, kidney beans etc. occasionally for meat, but I've never seen anything about how to do that. Is there some way to replace the veggie. carbs with the carbs in beans?
missy3gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 08:43 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 144.4/137/120

Height: 5

Missy, I follow the South Beach plan which isn't "low carb" but good carb. We strongly recommend beans in your diet. I love putting black beans in my salads, and also make a 3 bean salad that I often use as my snack during the day. I also try to find other ways to sneak beans in often using fat free refried beans when I make tacos. I have also been known to mix black beans in with my turkey burgers.

Hope this helps you some.
Pacergal29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2008, 09:52 AM   #3  
Angela

S/C/G: 191/163/140

Height: 5'6"

Missy:

I followed Atkins for awhile too and was successful; but like you I'm not much of a carnivore...I did add beans to my diet for variety and found as long as I took care not to take in too much fat, that I was still able to lose. Basically if you are eating more lean proteins and less bacon, fatty cheeses, HF dairy, etc, the beans should be okay. I'd also recommend keeping your beans at 1/2 cup (or at most 1 cup) per day. While they are healthy, the calories and the carbs can add up quickly. Maybe try it for a bit and see how you do....BTW - adding beans does make it more similar to the SB diet, which you might like to try as well.

Last edited by wish4fit; 01-10-2008 at 09:53 AM.
wish4fit is offline   Reply With Quote