Old 09-27-2007, 01:10 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 160/133.5/117

Height: a lil under 5'4"

Question Low carb eating and my period!

Yes, the title says it all...sorry if it was too direct. I have been searching and searching online to see if theres any connection between spotting/random periods and low carb/atkins dieting.

I am on a birth control pill that I have been on for 6 years now (for medical reasons, my hormones have always been out of wack), it has worked AMAZINGLY for me. But a week after I started Atkinsing, I started spotting as well! At that point, I still had 3 weeks of pills...

I'm not so much concerned about this, even tho the spotting has gone on for almost 2 weeks now (it has no signs of letting up) I want to know if this has happened to anybody else and if they talked to a gynocologist about it.

I dont plan on talking to my gynocologist about it, I read in a science journal that when a woman's blood sugar is higher than normal (in the pre diabetic range) and then that woman goes on a low carb diet and as her insulin levels go back to normal -- so do estrogen levels and other hormone levels.

So that *might* be an explination for the 2-week spotting after starting atkins...but i'm no doctor. I'm just wondering if this is a symptom anyone else in this community has had!!
krawhitham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:01 PM   #2  

Well thats frustrating I hope it does go on like that for ya. I'm so regular it's almost scary!
slimdownmomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2007, 01:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 231/219/160

Height: 5'9"

I don't know. I started atkins when my last baby was 6 weeks old, and didn't get my next period for 3 months. I blame it on the atkins. I did have periodical spotting too.
2songbirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:07 PM   #4  
On a De-fluffing Quest

S/C/G: 250/c sig/160

Height: 5'5"

Being on Atkins has always regulated things for me, less PMS, less bloating, more regular periods and less cramping. But that's after being on it for a few months.

I know you said you're not going to the doctor about it. But spotting for two weeks can be an indication of something abnormal, like fibroids, cysts, infection, or thyroid problems. I mean, it's probably not something that's going to kill you or anything, but I'd have the doc check it out if I were you. I wouldn't think it's related to being on Atkins though.
MissyFluffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2007, 12:27 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 160/133.5/117

Height: a lil under 5'4"

Talking

Thank you for the advice everyone! But I had a normal pap smear and full check up 2 months ago, and I have been to the gynocologist every year and have always had normal pap smears, I've never had anything wrong....so I'm really not worried.

I know it has everything to do with the atkins diet. I dont think people realized how connected everything in their body is. When you have a lot of carbohydrates, and a lot of fat covering your body you have increased estrogen levels IN your fat, when you lose that fat the increased estrogen levels can trigger a signal saying "time for period!" Because the body was used to it being in the fat, not coming OUT of the fat at such a rapid rate as it is now!

I've been doing a lot of reading on this and I have been reading accounts by many other women who have experienced the same thing on low carb diets.... it is mostly women who had trouble regulating their insulin before dieting, and trouble with hormone levels in general.

I'm feeling really optimistic this is happening because I was in the pre-diabetic range with my fasting blood glucose when I started this weight loss journey, and if this is a sign that my hormones and insulin are finally trying to regulate themselves to normal levels, and get myself down to a good weight, I may never have an insulin or estrogen problem again!!

For example, my fasting blood sugar was 82 this morning....it has NEVER been 82 in the past 3 years in my life has my fasting blood sugar (just with the home tester) EVER been that low!!! It's never been under 112-121!! I dunno if that means anything to anybody but me...haha.

But if other signs start appearing or some other warning signs happen i WILL go to the doctor, but for now Im going to look at it as a good sign my body chemistry wants to get back to normal
krawhitham is offline   Reply With Quote