Old 09-07-2007, 07:58 PM   #1  
IP start June 11, 2014

Default Where do the calories go?

Okay, I am getting the hang of Atkins way of life, but I have two questions for any of you guys that have been sucessful.

1. Where do the extra calories go? I have read on here that many people generally consume more calories on this diet than is required by a persons basic metabolic rate (BMR). I have also read (a while back) in Prevention, I think, it was that people on Atkins generally consume more calories.

Lillybelle -I follow your posts like a hawk...you are like my teacher and you don't even know it You had said that when you switched to counting calories that you consume less calories when a portion of your daily intake contains carbs. Any thoughts on why?

2. I have come to the conclusion that I will never be able to stick to a plan that is not low carb, but for some reason, I constantly try. The week before last week I was following induction rules and by the end of the week, my cravings are gone, I am lighter, and not hungry like I was in previous weeks.....then, I had a cookie the my DH brought home....low and behold I didn't notice an affect, so then the next day I add more carbs back into my diet since yesterdays carbs didn't do anything and then, by the end of the week, I end up ravenous again. It's like taking medicine for depression, then feeling better, and then stop taking it. Does anyone else do this? It is clear that my body does not do well with sugars and I need to steer clear so why after I start feeling good, would I go back to carbs. It's crazy.

Thanks in advance for comments.
Cheers!
kelligirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:40 PM   #2  
Hello Friend

S/C/G: 230/205/140

Height: 5'7"

Hi Kelligirl,
I understand how you feel about the LC lifestyle, It is the only way I'v been able to lose. I find I don't eat more calories than "normal" non dieting people, (due to the appetite suppression that kicks in after the first few days) but I do eat more than most calorie counters or lowfat dieters would need to eat to keep losing. Have you read the atkins new diet revolution? "Living the low carb life" by johnny bowden is also a great one to read to understand ketogenic diets? or maybee someone on the board can explain it better than me.

As for Q#2 I do the same thing. I dont know why either. will I ever learn?

Congrats on your loss so far! keep it up.
Puncezilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 11:58 PM   #3  

S/C/G: SW:394/310/180

Height: 5'6"

For me, it works like this. Carbs, especially highly refined carbs make me very hungry. When I diet on high carb plans, I "white-knuckle it" for as long as I can, but the hunger eventually wins and I binge.

Lower carb eating, especially if all the carbs I do eat are high fiber veggies, fruit, and whole grains, controls my hunger much better. I think I eat a few more calories per day than the high carb way, but with fewer binges, the calorie average is probably much lower.

I don't know if this is true for everyone, but I think it might be. A high carber eating 1200 calories a day, but binging every once in a while, could easily consume more calories over a the course of a month than a low carber eating 1500 or more calories.

I know there is some thought that high fiber plant foods and protein actually require more calories to process than fat and simple carbs (so in effect, they raise your metabolism a little bit) - so it's possible that on a low carb diet, you actually CAN eat a few more calories than if you ate higher carb.

I'm not sure I care why it works, I'm just very glad it does. My biggest challenge is putting into practice WHAT I now know. I know that eating a reduced carb, and no refined carb diet tames my hunger to the point I can lose weight, yet I still find myself falling off the low carb wagon because of old habits, carelessness, or lack of planning on my part.
kaplods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 08:06 AM   #4  
Larry's Angel

Location: NW New Jersey But, My Heart's In Pittsburgh!! GO STEELERS & PENGUINS!!!

S/C/G: 245/143/145

Hi Kelligirl,

I've been on Atkins for almost 3 and a half years now. I can honestly say, I've never counted a calorie....only carbs. I keep my carbs low (Induction levels) concentrating mainly on salad & veggies. I've been able to lose over 100 lbs eating full fat mayonnaise, full fat salad dressing, butter, cheese etc.

As far as eating any other way except Atkins....NO WAY!!! Atkins works for me and its my plan for life!

All the best to you!!!

Kim
JerseyGyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 01:05 PM   #5  
aud
lc lifestyle

S/C/G: 254/234/139

Height: 5'6"

I was recently glad to note that the American Heart and Dietetic Association are finally backing off (a tad) their ridiculous disregard for what refined/processed foods are doing to this nation. I attended an AHA cardiac type seminar this year and the calorie vs keto state was briefly discussed. Unfortunately "they" are still advocating the "lite" "low fat" - which I tried to point out that in most cases SUGARS are added to these products when the fat is removed (to no avail.)
Calorie counting has been a disaster for me in my adult life - the feeling of deprivation and the impossible cravings triggered by even tiny calorie sugary "treats" made for a totally miserable existence for me - a dreadful cycle of "self discipline" that lead to feelings of failure when the inevitable bing this woe lead to was such a recipe (so to speak lol!) for disaster/weight gain.
Not sure of the calories I eat - never have counted on lc either - I would guess they are quite high - but when eating delicious foods and actually satieting true hunger - maybe it does average out to be lower over time.

Not sure I care either way.
aud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 02:29 PM   #6  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Well, I used to count calories (I did it all last year), so I'm in the habit of doing so. On an average Atkins day, feeling completely full and satisfied all day, I eat anywhere from 1200--1500 typically. Some days, I've added up my calories and found that I only ate 900 or 1000, so I do count calories to make sure I'm eating enough! Once the ketosis kicks in, my hunger drops a lot, so I don't want to be starving myself without meaning to, either.

I think we assume that when we're eating the Atkins way, that we must be consuming lots more calories than the average calorie-counter. That being because we get to have meat and full fat cheeses/butter/olive oil and full fat dressing on salads, etc... But because our hunger is less than that of a calorie counter, due to being in ketosis and eating more fat/protein--we get full sooner and stay full longer--so we simply eat less naturally.

All I have to say is: Ya gotta love Atkins!
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:08 PM   #7  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

to answer the first question. the extra calories although entering your mouth do not enter the body. basically fat can't be properly metabolised without carbs. so although you may eat x amount of fat grams you only metabolise a fraction of it meaning the rest just passes straight through.

its also good to remember that living with 0 carb intake for more than a week or so is not a good idea. i was told by a Dr in the field of physiology that as the fat isn't fully metabolised it actually poisons the system so a few carbs are essential. maybe only >20g but still needed eventually.

2nd question i never count calories as pointed out before you cant' really count calories on atkins as you not burning off all of them so you may eat 2000 a day but may only burn 1200 a day each metabolism is different and will burn a different amount of fat depending on infinate amount of factors. according to the atkins book and the fact that fat cannont be metabolised propperly without carbs. the more carbs you eat the more fat you metabolise so your 2000 calorise yesterday of just bacon and eggs with cream and cheese will burn for example 1800 calories and today the 2000 calories with a bowl of cereal for breakfast might let you burn a totaly of 1850 (exapmles) calories this explains why you lose less weight each stage of the program. hope this helps a little
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 03:48 PM   #8  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

SlimmingSi-- Do you have some sort of peer reviewed research material that backs up the claim that "fat cannot be metabolized without carbs"? I have never heard this. Also the idea that only part of the fat is being metabolized and the rest passes through (sounds like Alli...) would cause loose, oily bowel movements. I haven't experienced this.

And just to clarify, Atkins is not a no carb diet. Even at Induction level, you can have 20 net carbs/day.

Last edited by Azure; 09-08-2007 at 03:49 PM.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2007, 11:07 PM   #9  
Becomming a Monster

S/C/G: 329/253/210

Height: 6'0

not to hand but i'm sure i can find some will have to wait a few weeks till i'm back to uni
slimmingsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2007, 07:10 AM   #10  
IP start June 11, 2014

Thanks so much for everyone's comments. I *finally* ordered the Atkins book last week, so it should be here soon.
kelligirl is offline   Reply With Quote