I was bad tonight - help!

• I have been doing really good follwing Atkins strictly for about 2 weeks now (I have been doing it non-strict for months) but tonight I had a slip up. I had a bad day and plus I gained weight (aboout 3 pounds in 2 days) which discouraged me. So I grabbed a Special K cereal bar, a cinimmin graham cracker and some chips.. I know, I know! :: slaps wrist:: Now I feel awful!

How will the sudden sugar intake affect the ketosis? Will I have to do induction again?
  • We all have those moments, it's part of life. Weight fluctuates for all sorts of reasons, and it's not surprising that eating off plan will cause a gain of some amount. Expecting that can help with the "shock" of it all.

You haven't been "bad", just off-plan for a day. Consider it just "one of those days" and get back on track tomorrow.

Hang in there!
    Julie
  • Why do you have that JUNK in your place anyway????? Take this as a learning experience. But get the naughty stuff out of sight.
    Yes it will probably take you out of Ketosis so you may have to go back to induction carbs for a little while. Dr A said it may put you back a week or so if you cheat. That was enough for me not to.

If you haven't lost your cravings or if you were just depressed at weight gain here is a copy of something I copied and put in my files. I take it out when I add those few pounds and then I don't feel so bad.

Code:
    THE SCALE
    A biologist at Berkeley shared something very revealing on the low-carb BBS
    system about 4 years ago that helps us all through the erratic weight 
    fluctuations you invariably encounter:

“Fat cells are resilient, stubborn little creatures that do not want to give up
     their actual cell volume. Over a period of weeks, maybe months of “proper 
    dieting”, each of your fat cells may have actually lost a good percentage of
     the actual fat contained in those cells. But the fat cells themselves, stubborn
     little guys, replace that lost fat with water to retain their size. That is, 
    instead of shrinking to match the reduced amount of fat in the cell, they 
    stay the same size! Result – you weigh the same, look the same, maybe 
    even gained some scale weight, even though you have actually lost some 
    serious fat.”
  • Oh thank you guys so much! It really helps me to have support.

I mean really helps me a lot, cause no one in my family has ever struggled with weight. I appriciate the help very much.
  • One thing we have to realize is we're human. We're going to mess up. The key to being successful is to get right back OP (my bad habit is saying "well, I've screwed up this day so I might as well just continue to eat the junk"). It probably knocked you out of ketosis for a couple days. If you weren't on induction, I'd just suggest lowering your carb count until the water weight is gone.