Why do we lessen our accomplishments?

• I am forever reading where people will say something like "I lost 5lbs las week." and then follow it up with "But I know it was only water weight" or some other "supportive person" will say "Great...but you know that was probably only water weight."

it is statements like that that lessen how hard we have worked to lose weight....whatever form it is in. I don't know about anyone else but I don't have a scale that, when I step on it, gives me a separate reading for water and one for fat. When I get on the scale it says "200" and that is what I weigh...bones, skin, water, blood, everything.

When I lose weight I don't really care what form it is in. Weight is weight and I am proud that I lost it...
  • I hear ya. I'm proud of every pound I lose also, and we should definately not belittle our hard work. but I do understand that if your wieght goes up or down a few lbs from one day to the next this is mostly water weight ( its almost impossable to lose that much fat in a day) thats why its best to weigh your self at the same time everyday. I usualy weigh in the morning. if I weigh myself in the evening I always weigh 2-3lbs more, from food and water. Wherever the weight is comming from it doesn't stop me from being happy about it and knowing I'v worked hard for it.
  • because for me I know the last 3 days have been water......and lots of it. It doesnt diminish (for me anyway) what I have accomplished. Just staying op for 3 days in a row is accomplishment enough right now.

I understand what you are saying, and I really detest those "supportive" ppl that come on and say .....you can really only loose 2 lbs of fat a week, anything else is just water. Great thanks....but its still a loss. Especially when you are at a weight Im at....fat/water, whatever......its coming off!! Thats what really matters. However if you are much thinner than I am, and you are loosing more than 2lbs a week, that could very well be your body eating into your muscle. But rather than explain it....they cut them down.