Old 09-29-2006, 02:40 PM   #1  
I AM healthy!

S/C/G: 270/196.2/135

Height: 5'4

Default What should your dily food percentages be?

Okay so I am trying to keep track of my calories now. I discovered fitday yesterday so I am having fun over there. But what I would like to know is how much of everything are we supposed to have? Like how many carbs? How many grams of protein? How many fat grams per day? I heard somewhere if you are trying to lose to keep it to like 35 grams a day? Does anyone know?
Jasmine31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:03 PM   #2  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

I asked the same question when I first started here(7weeks ago) The answers I got were mostly the same: Its different for everyone.
Everyone has a different eating plan, whether Atkins, South Beach, Weight Watchers, Calorie counters. I am a calorie counter but I try to keep my percentages at 40% carbs 30% protein 30 percent fat. I am mostly concerned with calories though. So if my percentages aren't right on it is okay. I feel that with calorie counting I can eat a piece of that candy bar, or pizza, as long as a don't over do anything.
I love fitday!
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 04:52 PM   #3  
I AM healthy!

Thanx! How many calories are you sticking too a day?
Old 09-29-2006, 05:36 PM   #4  
Calorie Counter

Height: 5'4"

I average 1450 per day
jcatron243 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2006, 07:09 PM   #5  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Yupyup--different for everyone! It depends on your goals, too. Fr example, if you're doing a lot of strength training, then you need more protein to build those muscles. General consensus seems to be to keep fat around 30% or less of your intake, but the thingt o really watch is the BAD fats (trans and saturated). If your fats go higher but are mostly good fats (mono- and/or poly-unsaturated), then it won't kill ya You do need some fat in your diet in order to digest/absorb certain nutrients (fat-solubles). Also, thanks to Dr. Atkins, people seem to think carbs are the devil and start to freak when they see that half (or more) of their intake is carbs This is not always bad, though--if you're eating WHOLE grains and natural carbs (such as from fruits and veggies and dairy) rather than "white" processed carbs and/or sweets, then you're still on the right path

So, how was that for a great big, "there's no right answer"
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 02:20 PM   #6  
I AM healthy!

Thanx for your answers everyone. No Jill that made alot of sense and I agree with you. i am such a carby person that i know i can NOT give them up! lol The best I can do is to have potatos only once or twice a week but I have spanish rice or plain on the other nites. I also agree with you on the whole grain. BUT what to get? I bought Uncle Bens long grain rice and it looks brown but is it really? If not please tell me what to buy! It does say its approved by the Am. Heart ***. I eat a ton of fruit! I have a fruit smoothie every morning for breakfast and it gives me lots of energy. Usually I throw in 1 apple, 1/2 a grapefruit, 1 banana, 1 orange, some blueberrys if I have them and or strawberrys if I have them. For veggies my general dinner consist of broccoli and carrots, i need to start doing more salads too. I usually have tomatos and bell peppers and onions on mexican nites. For lunch is usually a slimfast, then a yogurt around 3:00. Snacks are popcorn that is 94% fat free. Dinner most nites is rice with boneless skinless chicken breast and vegi, I usually add 2 table spoons of bar b que sauce or sweet in sour sauce. Once a week well do roast and potatos. Maybe once a week Ill have bread. One day a week I go out with hubby for lunch and tell myself I can have whatever I want. Most the times it is a nacho bell grande, but sometimes its a hamburger and fries.

This fitday thing is really awesome! It is really helping me to keep track of the calories PLUS all the vitamins and percentages. Thanx everyone!!
Old 10-01-2006, 11:34 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Jasmine -- Long grain rice can be brown or white, but brown rice usually says it is "brown rice" right on the package. Spanish rice is usually made with white rice unless it says otherwise.

As for approval by AHA, that can simply be because rice has no fat, it doesn't necessarily mean it's the food YOU should eat. After all, jelly beans have no trans-fat (no fat at all!), but that doesn't mean they are good for you!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 01:19 PM   #8  
I AM healthy!

Thanx Wyllenn. When i go shopping next thursday I will try to look for the strt brown rice. Why is brown better again? lol As for the spanish rice, i make it freh myself so it will be brown spanish rice if I make it that way.
Old 10-01-2006, 06:35 PM   #9  
Eating for two!

S/C/G: 324 highest known/on hold/150

Height: 5' 5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine31 View Post
Why is brown better again?
Brown rice is a whole grain, whereas white rice has had the outer layer stripped during processing, so it is no longer whole.
jillybean720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 08:46 PM   #10  
I AM healthy!

Okay thanx!
Old 10-02-2006, 07:42 AM   #11  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Brown rice therefore has more fiber than white rice, and more nutrients. Here's a link with more info

http://nutrition.about.com/od/health..._white_ric.htm

Also, it took a little while for me to learn to love brown rice, but now I prefer it over white in many cases. So, if it's not "love at first taste" -- try it again!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 02:56 PM   #12  
I AM healthy!

Thanx, I will check out the link. Beleieve me I have come to "love" alot of things over this past year. I used to not care much for fruit but have forced myself a little at a time and now I enjoy having a fruit smoothie almsot every day. I even had grape fruit plain all by itself yesterday! lol I will defo try the brown rice. We usually put a bit of bbq sauce or sweet n sour sauce with it anyways.