Old 01-26-2015, 01:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 200+/160.8/135

Height: 5'5.5

Default Food Scale Surprises?

I finally caved and bought a new food scale. I had one when I first started out losing weight and now that I'm so close to goal and every calories counts, I figured it was time for another one

I'm already surprised by how off I was with using measuring spoons/cups! So far the biggest differences have been with fruit. I was actually overestimating how much fruit I ate by a lot which explains why my fruit smoothie and snacks weren't keeping me very full. I know that somewhere I was underestimating calories and I'm excited to discover where that is.

So question, have any of you been surprised by the differences when using a food scale? What foods provided the biggest surprise to you?
Dottington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:56 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 200/ticker/130

Height: 5'2

Definitely dressings and carb weight, I used to use measuring cups and measuring spoons, it just doesn't do the trick, so now I weigh everything, and every serving size seems SO LITTLE. I thought I was eating 2 tbsp pb but I was definitely eating 4.5 tbsps...very big difference.

I guess it's discipline that i have to learn, but I think buying a scale is one of the best things could get for yourself!!
hhm6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 11:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 200/185/135

I'm glad it worked in your favor! I love my food scale, it's probably the most used item in my kitchen. I was surprised how small a serving of pasta is. I would probably take double that if I was just serving myself.
LettuceDoThis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 01:34 AM   #4  

hhm6-it's amazing isn't it?! I'm really hoping this level of accuracy will be the kick I need

LettuceDoThis-Love your username by the way Yeah I was surprised tonight by my rice noodles and how small it was. I'm pretty sure things like rice and noodles have been where I've been underestimating the amount.

I'm just so exciting playing around with it and weighing everything. I'm surprised how it really doesn't take that much time either. Tomorrow I'm looking forward to weigh some eggs lol
Old 01-27-2015, 06:40 AM   #5  

Height: 5'2"

Everything changed with my weight management when I got a food scale. My biggest surprise was how much more accurate it was to weigh most things in grams. I can also estimate milliliters with many liquid items by weighing in grams and converting it.
Sage2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 08:51 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 135/126/100

Height: 5"4

Buying a food scale was a big eye-opener for me too. I realized that my portions were mostly wrong(I was using measuring cups). I was way "too generous" with my portions of nuts, avocado, fruits and nut butters.
SunMoonStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2015, 12:58 AM   #7  

Sage2-I'm glad its really helped you, I'm hoping that it will really help speed up my weight loss efforts.

SunMoonStar-I think its so interesting reading about what everyone over/underestimated. It seems like we all are a little too generous with certain foods.

So today for dinner I realized that I had been way off when measuring beans! It seems like tofu, beans, and sauces/dressing type things have been the most surprising for me so far. I really need to fit a potato into my food plan this week bc I love potatoes and have a feeling that's going to be another surprise for me
Old 01-28-2015, 10:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 146/116/110

Height: 5'0

Dottington, I was surprised the opposite way when weighing out a sweet potato yesterday. 100g went a lot further than I thought for only 90 cals hopefully it'll be a pleasant surprise for you too like with fruit.
kitkat2114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2015, 03:41 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 200/185/135

Dottington Thanks!
One thing I've been pleasantly surprised with is oil - I keep EVOO n a plastic squeeze bottle and refill as needed from a bigger container. I'll pour some out, thinking it's about a tablespoon, and then weigh it to check and realize it was only 1-2 teaspoons! A little really goes a long way with it.
LettuceDoThis is offline   Reply With Quote