Old 09-18-2013, 01:49 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 197/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Default Raise your glass

Let's talk about drinking. What do you all order when you're out, and how do you fit it into your calorie budget? What special treats do you allow yourself, and gave you changed that with your new lifestyle? I'm wondering how different people do it.

Personally, part of staying in my calories means going out less and drinking less when I do, but I'd still like to have a social life and I still do like to drink.

Usually I get a vodka soda, but I like beer too, and while it's higher calorie than vodka, I tend to nurse it longer, so maybe it's better really? I'm trying to figure that out.

I also tend to like nice, bitter microbrews--but I don't always know the calories, and that makes me hesitant abut ordering them. So the other night I had Guinness (better than you'd think) because I hate lite beers. Does anyone have any other recommendations? And tonight I blew a ton of calories on hot cocoa with Bailey's, because it was a cold, rainy day and I wanted to feel cosy. Anyone know a lower calorie way to make a drink with the same feel? I can make it fit my calories, but I'd love to make it even easier. Probably there's lower calorie cocoa out there, right?

I live in a wine town. Is one kind of red wine likely to be lower calorie than another? I'm not sure what to buy!

Anyway, I assume I'm not the only one who'd appreciate some drink ideas, so let's pool our knowledge. And het, if any of you are in the neighborhood, come by and we'll field test!
Secret Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 02:38 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 211/159/140

Height: 5'4"

I drink either red wine or beer (regular or light) and calculate the calories in.
Lolo70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 11:10 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 222/124/?

I build snacks and dessert into my calorie budget to make these decisions easier to handle.

I don't drink out because I am cheap, but at home I regularly drink Blue Moon, Sam Adams, or Angry Orchard. One is a snack, two is dessert. I love O'Mara's Irish Cream. If I drink it (almost always straight on the rocks), it is considered my dessert.

Other things I drink mainly on either holidays or special occasions, but try to follow the same general rules.
CrabNebula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 08:47 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 147/147/135 HW - 190

Height: 5'6"

I drink a glass of wine (or 2) most evenings and if I go out to a bar I will have 2 light beers. I cut calories at breakfast and lunch to make up for it. I love my wine so it's worth not having a sandwich at lunch in order to drink it!

It's my understanding that most wine and beer are similar in calories. Unless it's specifically "light" beer or a low cal wine like Skinny Girl.
LisaTcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 07:06 PM   #5  

I'm up for a high test , field test. We drink MGD 64 beer. But we don't mind light beer. I like Guinness too. (Good date beer.....no gas, heeehee). I only indulge on the weekends 1 or 2. Haven't tried any of the "skinny" wines yet
Wendyg311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2013, 08:42 PM   #6  
Trying to be in the 160s

S/C/G: See my siggy ;)

Height: 5'8"

Drinking is excluded from my diet. I drink beer (the good stuff like IPAs and double IPAs), wine and spirits freely, a lot and regularly. But I also skip dinner. And always drink without eating.

So far, so good. Alcohol calories have had zero effect on my weight loss.

Last edited by IanG; 09-20-2013 at 08:44 PM.
IanG is offline   Reply With Quote