I could seriously use a pep talk

• I could really use some encouragement if anyone has some to spare. I started dieting in the Summer of 2010 after a stern warning from my doctor. I am 5'4" and was 259 pounds at the time (I'm 41 in case anyone is wondering). I immediately started counting calories (1400 per day), cut out white foods and most sugar (I allow a vitatop in the evening) and was going to the gym 3 to 4 times per week. The first 50 pounds really dropped off quickly. After that I managed to drop down another 30 pounds by the Fall of 2012 for a total of 80 pounds. I got more lax in terms of allowing myself sweets and white bread items, just more carbs in general but I also dropped my calorie allowance to 1300 as 1400 didn't seem to be cutting it. I've now been hovering back and forth between 179 to 185 since last October and I really want to hit my goal (150 pounds) before this year is up but I seem to have lost my way. I can string together 4 or 5 days but then the weekend comes, or a birthday party or any number of social activities and my willpower weakens. I am totally frustrated and just want to be finished with what has turned in to the slowest march towards losing 100 pounds ever. Clearly I know how to diet but at the same time I feel like the whole thing has escaped me. Any words of wisdom for me? I really appreciate anything you can impart.
  • I have done the counting calorie way many times and it never really had longevity for me either. Maybe it is time to do some thinking about making a change to your way of eating? I know that variety is important in all areas of life..and counting can be very restrictive and dizzying. Just a suggestion. Hang in there tho...asking for ideas was a great move!
  • Francie - Thanks for taking the time out of your day to lend me your ear! I have thought about that too, I thought about switching to Weight Watchers for this final 30 pounds push but then ended up talking myself out of it because it's essentially calorie counting too. Looks to me like you're doing Atkins? I tried that years and years ago but didn't get past a couple of weeks (although I did drop weight really fast in those two weeks). How has your experience been doing it?
  • I think counting calories is a great way to lose weight. And I personally think for ME, it'll be the easiest to maintain. However I'm obviously not there yet. My thoughts are calorie cycling for maintenance. What I've noticed is that during the week my diet is almost PERFECT. The weekends kind of hit me as I'm young and social life and all.

Maybe since you're 179 lbs and eating 1300-1400 cals a day, that isn't enough? I think if you boosted it up to 1500 a day for 3 or 4 days and cycle to 1300 the other 2 or 3 days, would make a difference. I'm talking from my brain and not entirely from experience. I've done quite a bit of research and this is what I'm going to do when I'm getting closer to goal and maintenance. Do you have weight training in your exercise regimen? I've read that doing heavy weights, for only 1 set of 10 or 8, and the last rep being nearly impossible, helps to continue to burn calories for hours after. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Damn, sometimes I'm terrible at explaining things.
  • Quote: Francie - Thanks for taking the time out of your day to lend me your ear! I have thought about that too, I thought about switching to Weight Watchers for this final 30 pounds push but then ended up talking myself out of it because it's essentially calorie counting too. Looks to me like you're doing Atkins? I tried that years and years ago but didn't get past a couple of weeks (although I did drop weight really fast in those two weeks). How has your experience been doing it?
    This is not my first go round with Atkins ...or any way of eating. I will say that my first couple of tries were bad. I went "too balls to the wall"..I tried doing it all. Eating on induction, exercising AND counting calories for some reason.

This time..my ONLY goal was to beat my pop addiction. That was my downfall you see. I would go Monday thru Friday with out my regular pop...and then spend the weekend drinking loads of it. I have a serious sugar addiction. I just recently quit WW because..while it is a wonderful program with great success...it does not fit me. I need to be seriously limited on carbs..or I just go nutso. I am choosing to stay at induction levels for at least 100 days. My reason is this: I know for certain that I have Insulin resistance and carbs are a major trigger. I love eating the high fat and it just works for me right now. Also...my past go rounds with ANY way of eating..I never drank water..and this time I have made sure to. I am having diet drinks..which are a no-no..but I only do it to ensure that I do not go ballistic and drink regular sodas. So eventually..those diet drinks will be by the wayside as well.

Now..if your body is ok with carbs...I can say that WW was really great. I signed up online and did okay at first...but my pop addiction was still just to strong. Once you get used to the points system..it really is a breeze. I am a huge fan of black beans and ate those a lot in those carb balance tortillas for dinner. It might be worth checking into if you metabolize carbs normally...
  • I think the problem is your "off" days. You say you can string together 4 or 5 days, but then you let things slide a little. If you're anything like me, those "off" days are really off, and a lot of extra calories and junk is consumed.

Maybe you could try to find some rewards to help keep you motivated? And of course, keep posting at 3FC!
  • re:
    I am *right there* with you. Those last 20-30 lbs seem harder than the whole 100 did. I used to be able to blow off 10 lbs a month, but no longer. I can maintain where I'm at pretty well, but losing has been a struggle.

Complacency - specially during the weekends. I suffer from "I'm not as desperate to lose weight at this point as I was so this graduation cake won't kill me. I'll just get right back on plan."

The trouble is, in order to lose those last few pounds, there can be no more of those weekends, at least for awhile.

If you really want it, and I mean REALLY WANT IT, take control of yourself again like you did as you were doing in the beginning. After that....then you can relax a bit.
  • if you want to know what I think, you should go back to cutting out white flour items as well as certain starches and of course limiting sugar. South Beach Diet is the closest thing to being able to eat like a normal person and not count calories...calorie counting only works at first for me. It's whatever works for you.
  • Take each day at a time. Take it one hour at a time if you have to. Calorie counting works, but it can also be restrictive and make us go nuts at times. Can you write down little goals you want to achieve during the weekends? Can you allow yourself a "treat" on the weekends while adding it into your calories for the day? Weekends are hard...it seems like it should be party time!
  • Emme - That's a really good idea actually. Maybe I can start zig zagging a bit so I "save up" calories for a bit more food, or a cocktail, on the weekends. Thanks for that suggestion.

Syckgirlsfv - You're right about the white items/carbs. I have been too lax and I think that while calories definitely count, sometimes it's about what those calories are made of.

Vex - That is me to a tee. I have this crazy self-talk where i explain away whatever I do to break plan at that moment. While I was on the straight & narrow I never brokedown because I was laser focused.

Missy Krissy - Don't I know it!
  • I haven't accomplished what you have so far, but I really like counting calories - it holds me accountable without having to worry too much about what I'm eating...although I don't really eat any processed foods.

I exercise more on the weekends. I take a really long walk early on Saturday mornings so I can treat myself on Saturday without feeling too guilty. I know it can be tough to find a balance - I've just been trying to carefully weigh my options before eating anything I might be on the fence on. I'm not to the point yet where I can have one cookie, so I'm opting for no cookies right now.

As others have said, everyone is different - you just have to figure out what is going to work for you.