Old 04-10-2013, 10:02 PM   #1  

S/C/G: HW 420 324.6/Ticker/250

Height: 6

Default Calories and hamburger meat

I am curious to how you handle counting calories in hamburger meat. I grilled a couple pre-made/frozen burgers a bit ago(yum) and the calories on the box says 330 each but isn't a lot of calories removed during cooking? I know its probably not enough to worry about unless you eat them everyday but I was just curious to what the difference would be. Thx much for any info.
LGMongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:07 AM   #2  
I got this

S/C/G: 206/162/135

Height: a little over 5'2

I have wondered the same thing! I cannot find the site but I remember reading once where you can reduce the fat/calories by rinsing the cooked meat. I cannot recall by how much though, say 25-30% less? I also googled and found this article. Not sure how accurate it is though. HTH!
amandie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 03:10 AM   #3  
Keeping Steady

S/C/G: 231/169/169 lb (104/77/77 kg)

Height: 6' 0" (1.82 m)

Well, to guestimate, I would say that you lose about a quarter of an ounce of fat, which would work out to about 63 calories lost, which works out to a loss of about 20% of the calories. The thing to do would be to try to catch the drippings and then weigh them. For science!

But you should probably check to see if the calories of the ground beef are determined before cooking or after cooking. That should be easy to look up online.
ControlW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #4  
One decision at a time.

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I know this is over a week old, but I count the calories listed. For one thing you can't tell how many calories are lost due to different cooking methods. There is broiling, grilling, pan searing, etc. Each method would leave a different amount of fat. Plus the more you cook it the more fat is lost, so a well done burger would have lost more fat during the cooking than a medium or rare burger. Finally, I just consider that while I'm counting an extra couple of calories from the patty, I'm probably underestimating my calories from another of my foods, so it all balances out. (like that banana was actually a large instead of medium one, and the muffin I got from the bakery was larger than my eyeball said.)
ebb&flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:35 AM   #5  
Natasha

S/C/G: 335/272.2/250

Height: 5'3"

Yeah its tricky. Depending what I am using it for I like to boil my meat in water with onion and garlic then drain. to get all the fat out. Then I put it in whatever I need.
ichoose2believe is offline   Reply With Quote