Old 02-02-2013, 07:31 PM   #1  

Height: 5"6

Default So confused about calorie counting

Hi everyone,

Before I get started, I will clear up a few things. Yes, I understand I need a calorie deficit and yes, I understand that it doesn't matter what my 1500 calories look like, so long as I make that deficit.

My question is more related to your mindset ABOUT those 1500 calories. When I first began thinking about weight loss, I focused on only eating healthy, nutritional foods and limiting my processed food intake.

Once I joined 3FC though, I learned about the deficit, etc, and I get how you can technically gain weight on bananas vs. lose weight on brownies, depending on the caloric consumption of either.

SO- here is my question: What do you ladies do in regards to your mindset? Do you still strive to eat as healthy as you possibly can and allow the odd treats, or do you eat whatever you feel like and just keep it under 1500? I used to believe I could only have a cookie once a week, for example, but now I am thinking "...well, I can technically afford it if I tweak my calories a bit anyway".

Wouldn't it be bad to "account" for unhealthy food every day? I'm just confused. Feeling like I am allowed to eat junk so long as the calories play out feels too easy and like I am missing something.
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #2  
Enjoying la bella vita

S/C/G: 28 pounds to go

Height: 5-4

Your body is the only one you get to last your whole life. You will see folks who will do whatever they can to get "skinny" and you can, too ... or you can eat wisely - and healthfully - and hopefully stave off future issues with your body because of your choices.

Why choose junk - there's more to it than just the calories - it's what is IN foods that we get our nutrition from. A little bit here and there isn't going to kill you, but really, look at ingredients.

Don't get mired in the mixed signals and all the crazy info that is out there. Eat wisely, in moderation. Move more than you did before. The time will pass whether you do that or not but how much better to have the time pass while you're making great choices for your future...and arrive in 2014 or whenever, with a healthy body.
nationalparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:41 PM   #3  

I follow a meal plan for my diet so it's not a good example to share. But my husband calorie counts so I will tell you what I know based on what he does. He's not trying to lose weight, he's maintaining (but ended up losing a few pounds once he started seeing the calories add up from junk!).

You are correct, you could lose weight whether you have the banana or the cookie as long as you fit it into your allotment. But in the end, the banana (or any other fruit and vegetable) is going to satisfy you more and cause less cravings for more "junk" than a cookie. I use "junk" in quotes as I don't think cookies are junk per se in a once in a while treat, just compared to fruits and veggies.

My husband logs all of his food, including his cookies or chips or whatever. But he's learned he gets a heck of a lot more bang for his buck when he has the garden salad for his dinner side than if he has french fries or mashed potatoes.

I think for both of us, seeing the calories in black and white on MFP really made it a reality of the junk we were eating. You can have a plate of watermelon and cantelope for a lot less calories than chips and dip (obviously!). And since I don't want to log the chips and dip for anyone to see I ate them, I am not eating them!

I guess in a nutshell, the mental part is what you want to see in your log and how much junk you want to "waste" calories on.
elvislover324 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #4  

If you eat whatever you feel like that will lead to problems down the road. You'll be tired and sluggish because you aren't getting enough nutrients. A lot of fatty/sugary foods are also loaded with salt, which will make you retain water.

My mindset is also this: I don't want to lose weight if I'm only going to lose muscle mass, I want to lose fat. I want to eat things that will feed my body and keep it in the best shape possible. So you might lose weight eating 1500 cals of brownies a day, but it's probably going to be a detriment later because you may be losing a lot of muscle and not getting enough nutrients.

I allow myself to eat snacks like granola bars and Hershey's sometimes because I make sure that I get in a lot of very nutritious food. (It's pretty easy since I'm on the Shred diet right now, which mandates a lot of hat I eat.) But I'm not going to be on this diet forever, so I'm trying to find a "happy medium" of having a sweet/fatty treat here and there and eating very healthily.
lex talionis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #5  

Height: 5"6

Hey everyone,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond! I figured there was a point to eating healthy, but I've been inundated with information since joining. I guess I am learning that calories DO matter, but that you should, as elvislover put it, get more bang for your buck!

I've got 400 calories left today and yup, I could have cookies...but a canteloupe/honeydew/raspberry protein smoothie sounds even better!!

You guys rock!
NorthernChick13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 09:34 PM   #6  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

Here's my two cents.
I get 1350 calories a day, I get more "bang for my buck" with nutritious food. That being said, I enjoy treats occasionally. I just budget for them.
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 286/see ticker/130

Height: 5'6

For me it's important to occasionally include some "junk" in my diet, because I'm trying to change my eating habits permanently. There is a part of me that would love to never eat fast food or sugary and salty snacks ever again, but I know that's impossible (I like them too much). But if I can have them in moderation (like 2 cookies instead of 10) then I think I've won the hardest part of my battle.

I will say that's it's pretty amazing how much less you crave these things once you start replacing them with healthier options.

Last edited by charliee; 02-03-2013 at 10:07 AM.
charliee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 11:35 AM   #8  
~Erin~

S/C/G: see siggy :)

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliee View Post
For me it's important to occasionally include some "junk" in my diet, because I'm trying to change my eating habits permanently. There is a part of me that would love to never eat fast food or sugary and salty snacks ever again, but I know that's impossible (I like them too much). But if I can have them in moderation (like 2 cookies instead of 10) then I think I've won the hardest part of my battle.

I will say that's it's pretty amazing how much less you crave these things once you start replacing them with healthier options.
I feel the same way. I eat heathy fruits and vegtables daily but also include a "junk" item in also. I stay with in my calories and I dont crave the "junk" so I dont binge for the craving.
edoetsch1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:11 PM   #9  
Empress/Queen

I used to eat a lot more "junk" calories and to be honest lost weight on that, now I'm still sometimes eating less than desirable food but do try to eat more nutritiously because it makes me feel better.

This think is, in my opinion, as has been said, we can lose or maintain weight on any food. To me nutrition and weight loss are separate issues that are somewhat related.

If the bod is not getting the nutrition it needs, it might set up a call for more food and more food as it is looking for nutrition lol.

That is how I think it impacts weight.
Amarantha2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #10  
Back to Basics!

S/C/G: 187/127/125

Height: 5' 2.5"

I tried to fit in the most bang for my buck. While I was losing weight, I ate healthy, fulling foods. Now that I am maintaining, I can add pretty much any food and fit it in. But I have food, time and time again, that the more I stray from eating mostly healthy....the more I stay off track and end up going over my calories for the day. Junk adds up quickly!
ChickieChicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #11  
Starting Over Again

S/C/G: 195/195/150

Height: 5'5"

My diet does still have some junk in it. I've been slowly cutting back on the amount of junk food I consume in my diet, but I feel that allowing myself to have something small each day as long as I account for it has actually helped my weight loss. Nutritional food will fuel your body better, of course, but there is nothing wrong with the occasional treat.
Psychic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 07:38 AM   #12  
Leveling Up

S/C/G: 200+/115/115

Height: 5'3"

Eat nutritious foods for a while and then try eating only "junk" for a day. You might feel very different! I know that if I eat junk I just feel like crap (I've always been that way)

The nutrition value of your food has very little to do with how much you'll weigh, but it will effect your health, how you feel, and even your performance when you exercise. When I'm spot on with the healthy stuff and get enough protein, I have some awesome lifts
sontaikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:12 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 195/177/150

Height: 5'3"

I have it all... in moderation that is! I usually have one treat a day, I eat a fruit or two, veggies, pizza, sandwich, mocha, etc and I am still within my limit, but in order to eat more of say, pizza, I have do my exercise to keep from maintaining.
Annafterolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #14  
One decision at a time.

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I count my calories. I agree with posters that say moderation is the key. I wish I could be one of those people who completely cuts out anything that isn't a lean protein, veggie, or fruit, but I'm not. The minute I ban a food, it becomes taboo and I fixate on it. If I tell myself that I'm allowed to have it, but choose if I'm going to have it today (rather than never, or only one a month) then it's more manageable. I do keep balance in my diet and often decide to pass on fries or a cookie because I know a healthier option will be more filling and keep me satisfied for longer.
ebb&flow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 01:19 PM   #15  
Never ever giving up!

S/C/G: See ticker :)

Height: 5'4.5"

I have some really healthy days, and some days when I allow myself whatever I want as long as I don't go over my calorie budget. If I tell myself I can't have something that I really want, I want it a whole lot more and risk hitting a wall and overeat. So I don't. To me it's better to just have some, in moderation.
Em Coconut is offline   Reply With Quote