Old 01-19-2013, 04:17 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 303/303/190

Height: 5'9"

Default New To Calorie Counting/Struggling

Hi, I am new to calorie counting so to speak after years of "trying" to lose weight. Im in my middle 40's and have been overweight pretty much forever. I have tried various methods to lose weight but to no avail.

I guess the part I struggle with is #1 I am doing this alone (ie: no meetings of any sort however my husband is my biggest supporter) and #2 I feel like I have no control and I tend to eat way over my calorie goal for the day. I am also a carbaholoic too. I do like salads and fruit but most of my food is bread type or breaded. Not sure how many calories Im suppose to have daily but I saw a post on here that suggested for 200 weight ranges start with 1800. I also struggle to just get through one day much less day after day of calorie counting.

Any suggesstions would greatly be appreciated.
dms6k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 04:39 PM   #2  
I'm bringing sexy back!

S/C/G: 242/234.5/167

Height: 5'5"

I would suggest using a website or phone app such as myfitnesspal to help you outline your calorie goals. Also look up portion sizes.
Good luck!
Mozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:11 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 160/123/???

Height: 5'7

If you replace some of your carbs with protein, that might make it easier to stay in your calorie goal. Protein can help reduce your appetite.

I try to get some with every meal or snack. For example, I keep cooked chicken breasts and/or baked tofu ready to go in the fridge, so I can just grab some and throw it on a salad.
String cheese is another easy way to add protein to snacks. And I've started adding protein powder to my morning coffee with cream (it's a cheapo CVS store brand protein powder), and that's reduce my hunger by a lot.

And I feel you on the daily struggle! I tend to get into a groove where it's easier for a while, but there's still days where it's hard. It helps me to have a few basic meals that I already know the calories for, so I don't have to do so much planning. Just figured out the caloires 1 time, then make it the same way the next time. The aforementioned chicken salad is one I have every day. Keeping it as simple as I can makes it a lot less stressful.

1800 sounds like a good number to start with. Try it out for a bit and see how it affects you. You might need to adjust up or down, depending on how you're losing and how you feel.

I know calorie counting can be very overwhelming in the begining... but don't let that get you down! Once you get past this intial hump of setting everything up, it should get a lot easier.
vabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:41 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 260/ticker/160

Height: 5'6 1/2"

The first few weeks are hard. I've been at it for over three years now and I count almost without thinking about it now. It gets easier and easier as time goes by. And you aren't doing it alone..... we are all here with you.
toobig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I am another one who is a daily calorie counter, it is a habit, now and I expect to stay that way to maintain my loss. I think planning ahead is key. I plan my daily menu ahead of time. This is not a big chore, takes about 5 minutes once you get used to it.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:19 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 280/229/140

Height: 5'4"

I use the "lose it" app, and that really becomes an eye opener for what goes in my mouth,,, as for the calorie intake the app told me what I should be intaking right now based on my weight and my goals. so right now I'm at a tad over 1600 calories a day. hope this helps ~~~
hayem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:22 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 164.8/150.5/128 1) -4.8,2)-3.2

Height: 5' 4"

You might consider joining a local weight watchers group. They follow a points system which may be easier for you than counting calories, or you could do both, follow their points guidelines and count the calories. If you feel you'll do better with weekly meetings and a support group, WW is great for that and they are online too.

I've done WW in the past and it's really the only diet that has worked well for me, if I follow it, and I think it's because it's a balanced diet, so when you finish you are still eating the same way. It's a lifestyle shift, basically eat less, smaller portions, but still include the foods you like.

I actually just did Ideal Protein for almost 3 weeks, lost about 10 pounds, but didn't love the way I felt on it, or the packaged food. What I did like and am incorporating into my new calorie counting, is have four cups of vegetables and at least one or two salads a day. Those veggies fill you up! I'm also trying to eat fewer white carbs, but I love them so am having half a bialy for breakfast this morning with my eggs....a smaller portion of what I love!

I also found that including a little more fat helps you stay satisfied longer. On IP they focus on 0 calorie 0 carb 0 fat salad dressings and putting those on my salad just never let me feel full, no matter how many veggies I piled on. Yesterday I had a salad with some rotisserie chicken, veggies lettuce and a little low fat italian dressing mixed with low fat yogurt based blue cheese dressing from Bolthouse farms. The combo is really good and was only 60 calories total of dressing, and I didn't feel deprived.
PamC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #8  

Not sure what the problem is. i think it may be that im so used to eating whatever i want in whatever quantity that it almost frightens me to cut back as much as i probably need to cut back. I average about 2500-3000 calories a day. Way tooo much I know.

So how have any of you actually got started calorie counting and staying within your calorie range?

As far as points, I was doing that but I quit as it was sort of hard to calculate points for everything and going to meetings is out of the question at this point due to work and lack of time in general. So I thought I would venture back to calorie counting. Seems easier and I hve everything I need except for the will to continue after I start.

Another issue is that it seems that even if the day is going good then I get invited somewhere or someone offers me cookies, candy, etc..... and well thats the end of that and the day is shot. Suggesstions???

Thanks!!
Old 01-20-2013, 03:20 PM   #9  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayem View Post
I use the "lose it" app, and that really becomes an eye opener for what goes in my mouth,,, as for the calorie intake the app told me what I should be intaking right now based on my weight and my goals. so right now I'm at a tad over 1600 calories a day. hope this helps ~~~
Same.

The LoseIt! app is fantastic. Scan barcodes, search foods or even make your own. It tracks your fats, proteins, carbs and of course calories. Also adding exercise.

I started out measuring a tablespoon of ketchup, and logging it. Now I can basically tell how much it is however I still measure. If you don't want an app or a web-based app, even a food diary. Write every single thing you put in your mouth, including liquids. Maybe if you see how much you're eating, it will get you thinking about cutting it back. It also doesn't mean giving up thigns you love, just eating them in moderation.

I never realised how much a cup or food was, or a single portion of meat. i bought a food scale which has worked wonders. Portion control is huge for me. I also start a meal with a glass of water, a glass halfway through and a glass after. Just to make sure its actually my hunger I'm quenching, not my thirst.

If you're looking to lose weight, find out what your daily calorie consumption should be according to your age, height, weight and gender. Then you can modify your diet. Find out what your BMR is here.
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #10  

I know portion control is a biggie for me because I love to eat I guess and apparently all the wrong foods too....im a big junk food eater. Starting again tomorrow and I have to try to measure everything I guess and focus more on eating better foods. Gosh why does this have to be so difficult!!:

thank you all for you input.
Old 01-20-2013, 04:54 PM   #11  

S/C/G: tick'

Height: 5'8

I started at the same weight as you and have lost about 4 pounds from basically strictly watching my diet. I started to add in exercise and Jillian Michaels 30 day shred and I can't see a difference on the scale yet, but I sure feel a difference. It gets easier and counting will become second nature.
Remington90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 06:15 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 199/188.2/140

Height: 5'4"

Dm, I just picked up two weaknesses. You said you have a problem with portion control and eating the right things. Knowing your weaknesses is half the battle so now you have a great starting point and know where to start putting your focus.

We eat with our eyes first. If portion control is a problem then I would suggest serving all your meals on smaller plates, immediately. If the first thing your eyes see is a huge plate with half of what you're used to eating your mind may play tricks on you. You may feel deprived, sad and/or depressed about "dieting" and start convincing yourself it's not worth it. Start plating on smaller plates and you are now tricking your mind, so to speak, and are in front of the problem rather than behind it.

Eating all the right/wrong things...purge your fridge and cabinets of the less healthy options or at least put them towards the back where they are out of sight. Restock with healthy foods or healthier alternatives and keep them front and center where they are always visible.

Good luck!! You know you can do this!!
PotScrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #13  
Vex
There is no try.

S/C/G: 281/T/140

Height: 5'6"

Default re:

First you need to decide how badly you want this. Why are you losing weight? Why is it so important? You need to hold on to those reasons throughout your weight loss when you're challenged.

Now, I'm not a measuring, weighing type person. I also don't cook. For me, the easiest way to start was by simply eating those packaged foods. (healthy choice, lean cuisine, etc.) Eating those gave me a simple way to count calories and teach me what a good portion size would be. That way when I do have something homemade or out, I have a good idea of how much of it to eat.

The amount of calories eaten should be the most you can eat while still losing weight. 1500 - 1800 sounds like a reasonable start. Your body should hopefully adjust to its lower calories in a few weeks, and you might find it all getting easier. I think if people can make it through the first month, they're well on their way.

As long as you're here, you're never alone.

Last edited by Vex; 01-20-2013 at 07:23 PM.
Vex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:20 PM   #14  
Hug a Tree!

Height: 4'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dms6k View Post
Not sure what the problem is. i think it may be that im so used to eating whatever i want in whatever quantity that it almost frightens me to cut back as much as i probably need to cut back. I average about 2500-3000 calories a day. Way tooo much I know.

So how have any of you actually got started calorie counting and staying within your calorie range?
You could try going with something like 2000 for now (I plugged that into a calculator and it's still a deficit if you do light exercise). That's still 500-1000 below what you've been doing. That way you get the hang of calorie counting without feeling too deprived. If it's going to be easier for you to eat more and lose slower then go for it. No sense in trying to eat less and giving up all the time because you are hungry. When you've lost a bit of weight, drop the calories down a little more.

Last edited by LandonsBaby; 01-20-2013 at 08:22 PM.
LandonsBaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 08:32 PM   #15  

thank you all for the support and the motivation.