Old 01-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 450/ticker/350

Height: 5'6

Red face Cookbooks for Calorie Counters?

I love collecting cookbooks, but I am slim on cookbooks that are calorie-counter-friendly. Do you ladies have any suggestions? I have my browser at Amazon.com already!

Last edited by P H A T; 01-14-2013 at 05:42 PM.
P H A T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:53 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 199/188.2/140

Height: 5'4"

I don't have many cookbooks, mostly I gather recipes from on-line resources. The last calorie-conscious cookbook I bought was The Best of Cooking Light, 2004 edition. We've tried several recipes from it but were less than impressed. Both DH and I found many of the recipes to be lacking in flavor and quite bland.

Several months ago I purchased Mark Bittman's How To Cook Everything Vegetarian and I was blown away. We are not vegetarians but try to incorporate some meatless meals each week both for the health benefits and to help with the grocery budget since the price of meat has skyrocketed in our area. This book is by far the best cookbook I have ever purchased in my life. I love that he lists all the different substitutions...don't have Kale? Use Collard Greens...or Turnip Greens...or Spinach. Don't have Barley? Use Bulgur...or Rice...or Quinoa. Don't have Broccoli?...use Cauliflower...or Cabbage...or Potatoes. The way it was written is so massive (over 2,000 recipes...not including variations/substitutions) I actually spent two weeks creating a spreadsheet for the various substitutions. If Cauliflower is on sale one week I punch it in to my search box and figure out all the ways I can use it and base my meal plan around the results.

I'm not sure that recommendation will help you but it's an awesome cookbook and one that I recommend whenever I get the chance.

Last edited by PotScrubber; 01-14-2013 at 08:55 PM. Reason: wrong link
PotScrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:04 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 192/173.6/145

Oh potscrubber that sounds awesome! Did you buy the recipe book through an ereader? I ask because you mentioned putting cauliflower in the search box?.

Are there pictures in this book? I need pictures. I've been trying to fing vegetarian/vegan meal ideas but a lot of recipes I have found are heavy on the soy and fake meats. I need ways to eat more veggies and less of everything else plain and simple.
hopebewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:37 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 199/188.2/140

Quote:
Originally Posted by hopebewild View Post
Oh potscrubber that sounds awesome! Did you buy the recipe book through an ereader? I ask because you mentioned putting cauliflower in the search box?.

Are there pictures in this book? I need pictures. I've been trying to fing vegetarian/vegan meal ideas but a lot of recipes I have found are heavy on the soy and fake meats. I need ways to eat more veggies and less of everything else plain and simple.
No, I purchased the hard cover. Sadly, there are no pictures. I'm a visual person as well but this book only has a few hand drawn illustrations.

There are recipes in the book that include Tofu but mostly it focuses on whole foods which was a huge influence on why I bought the book.

As for putting "Cauliflower in the search box"...I created an Excel Spreadsheet with all the recipe titles and variations/substitutions listed that we may like. That's how I search for things. I skipped all the recipes with "weird" ingredients, hard to find ingredients and things like Tofu ( ). The database I created is full of "every day" ingredients and things we're likely to eat. I ended up with 992 "base" recipes out of over 2,000 and that still doesn't include all the variations...if that makes sense.

If you get the book I'd be happy to email you my spreadsheet but if you don't have the book it wouldn't make any sense. I didn't record the actual recipes. Just the page number, recipe title and all the different vegetables that could be used in the recipe.
PotScrubber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:47 PM   #5  

I was thinking of trying one of the Betty Crocker cookbooks, there's one with recipes for 1500 cals a day, then there's one for 300, 400 & I think 500 cal meals..
Old 01-15-2013, 01:48 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 229/174/150

Height: 5'9"

I agree with potscrubber, I was given Bittmans book as a Christmas present a few years ago and it ROCKS! He also has one I believe it's called "how to cook everything" but since I'm vegetarian that's the one I have.

Hopebewild if you are looking for more wholesome vegetarian recipes check out ohsheglows.com. It's amazing! it's a vegan blog but can easily add dairy or honey to her recipes if you want. I usually make one of her recipes for pot lucks and have everyone asking for it. Lots of delicious stuff!
beachlover86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #7  

thanks, ladies. I think I will try the How to cook everything cookbook. A friend of mine also told me about the Digest Diet book, which she SWEARS by. I'm very curious about any books that can help me, since I am a reader anyway..
Old 01-15-2013, 06:02 PM   #8  

S/C/G: S290/C ticker/G 190

Height: 5'11"

Canadian Living has fantastic recipes, very family friendly and predictably good, and has nutrition info along with. I would recommend any of their cookbooks.

We also like Looneyspoons, also very family friendly.

Last edited by scoutycat; 01-15-2013 at 06:03 PM.
scoutycat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 192/173.6/145

If I do potscrubber ill let u know thanks for the offer!

Oh and beachlover I love oh sheglows! I've made the avocado pasta from there numerous times

Oh and PHAT have u checked out hungry girl cookbooks? I haven't tried them myself but a friend has them and likes them. Gives lowcalorie variations of favorite dishes.
hopebewild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 209/ticker/170

Height: 5'8"

I love the website "SkinnyTaste"- just google it (as I think I read something about links being yanked around here). She has the calories per serving, serving size and weight watchers points listed for each recipe; everything I've tried of hers to date has been *delicious* and husband approved.

She posts recipes every couple of days, and has a significant set of recipes accumulated from the last couple years!

Things I've tried that are fantastic: Crock pot picadillo, crock pot chicken and black bean picante soup, seafood artichoke dip, chocolate zucchini bread, spaghetti squash boats with chicken, cheesy spaghetti squash bake...

I'm digging through the website as we speak looking for more ideas!
Eydawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 01:22 PM   #11  
Determined

S/C/G: 227/207/125

Height: 5' 4''

I am so excited about the skinnytaste website (new to me). Tonight I am making "burrito bowls" using the knock off recipes from there. Barbacoa beef, Cuban lime black beans, and cilantro lime rice! I have the meat in the crockpot and it smells just like the meat from chipotle grill.
Devoncroix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 10:47 PM   #12  

thanks ladies for all the reccomendations, I am following up on each one. I just came from the skinny taste website & a lot of food on there looks yummy. its just a lot of food seems to be seafood oriented, & Im deathly allergic to all seafood..
Old 01-24-2013, 02:10 PM   #13  
TX Fat Chick

S/C/G: 258/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eydawn View Post
I love the website "SkinnyTaste"- just google it (as I think I read something about links being yanked around here). She has the calories per serving, serving size and weight watchers points listed for each recipe; everything I've tried of hers to date has been *delicious* and husband approved.

She posts recipes every couple of days, and has a significant set of recipes accumulated from the last couple years!

Things I've tried that are fantastic: Crock pot picadillo, crock pot chicken and black bean picante soup, seafood artichoke dip, chocolate zucchini bread, spaghetti squash boats with chicken, cheesy spaghetti squash bake...

I'm digging through the website as we speak looking for more ideas!
I LOVE, LOVE that website and have been using it for about a year. So many delicous recipes.
melissakd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 02:11 PM   #14  
TX Fat Chick

S/C/G: 258/214/160

Height: 5' 3"

Quote:
Originally Posted by P H A T View Post
thanks ladies for all the reccomendations, I am following up on each one. I just came from the skinny taste website & a lot of food on there looks yummy. its just a lot of food seems to be seafood oriented, & Im deathly allergic to all seafood..
All fish and shellfish? That's tough!
melissakd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:56 PM   #15  

S/C/G: 187.4/176.8/155

Height: 5'7.5"

Aren't there any websites where you can put in a recipie, then divide by the number of servings? I can't remember any specifics at the moment, but I know there's a couple out there.
Becky Quilts is offline   Reply With Quote