Old 05-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 211/TICKER/135

Height: 5'7

Smile New Calorie Counter/Dieter looking to lose 50 lbs.

Hi!

I'm new to calorie counting as well as dieting in general. I'm looking to lose 50 lbs. in about 9 months. I'm hoping this is possible, as I sit at a desk 5 days a week for 8 hours.

I'm looking for any advice, tips, tricks, etc. that I can get.

Is it possible to lose this amount of weight in that period of time, with the working conditions I have?
losingLOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:31 PM   #2  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

Welcome, Lola! I have a desk job, too, so I feel ya, girl! I've heard that losing weight is 80% eating and 20% exercise, so don't feel bad if you can't move around a lot at work.

My biggest tip for you is to be patient. Weight doesn't just fall off (unfortunately!) and it pays to be persistent and consistent. What is your starting height/weight if you don't mind me asking?
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 12:45 PM   #3  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emme View Post
Welcome, Lola! I have a desk job, too, so I feel ya, girl! I've heard that losing weight is 80% eating and 20% exercise, so don't feel bad if you can't move around a lot at work.

My biggest tip for you is to be patient. Weight doesn't just fall off (unfortunately!) and it pays to be persistent and consistent. What is your starting height/weight if you don't mind me asking?
Hi Emme! I totally left that part out. I'm 5'6 1/2 (I just say 5'7) and 170 lbs.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:47 PM   #4  

Height: 5'5"

I have the same problem (desk job!). Good luck! Remember not to set unrealistic goals for yourself - 120 at 5'7 is pretty tiny!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:04 PM   #5  

Quote:
Originally Posted by readyfreddy View Post
I have the same problem (desk job!). Good luck! Remember not to set unrealistic goals for yourself - 120 at 5'7 is pretty tiny!
I'm setting this 50 lb. weight loss in hopes of finding a healthy weight and size satisfaction along the way--if that makes any sense

For example, If I work towards 120lbs, but find that I've reached a healthy weight at 130, I will stop there. I've been down the unhealthy road before, I'm just looking to doing this the right way now!
Old 05-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #6  

S/C/G: highest 191/ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Is there a reason for the 9 month mark? I found it better for me to not put a time limit on my weight loss/getting healthy journey.

Here's a few tips that have worked for me:
1. I don't drink my calories, unless it is a protein shake. (i do use creamer in my coffee that is 30calories)-Yes this meant cutting out alcohol for the most part.
2. Track everything you eat. You can use a notebook or a calorie counting website. I love thedailyplate. Make sure to input everything that goes into your mouth. These websites will also tell you how many calories you need per day to reach your goal (you input your height and current weight and then tell it how many pounds you want to lose per week. You should stick to 1-1.5lbs/week generally.)
3. If there is "unhealthy" food that you like, try to find the healthier version as opposed to completely eliminating the item out of your life. I love sparkrecipes. I can type in an ingredient or dish-type and get a list of healthy recipes with the nutritional values already listed.
4. PLAN PLAN PLAN!!!! I planned my food one day to one week in advance, even my snacks. This eliminated the "I'm hungry, what should I eat? I think I'll have this box of macaroni and cheese" moments.
5. Do some research. It has really helped me to learn about healthier food items and what I should eat in moderation only and the reasons behind what makes some items better for you than others.
jenn33082 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #7  
running myself skinny

S/C/G: 191/ticker/140

Height: 5'4 1/2

Just wanted to say hello and good luck! I am also hoping to lose around 40-50lbs. For me it is easier to buy Lean Cuisines/Smart Ones to help with keeping track of my calories for a lunch, dinner, or both. I usually eat yogurt, oatmeal, or cereal for breakfast or the occasional protein shake/smoothie. I just started back on my "diet" last week though. So far it has been fairly easy to follow. Also, is there any way you could go to the gym on your lunch break? Or walk in the evenings somewhere?
taramade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 06:04 PM   #8  

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
Originally Posted by losingLOLA View Post
I'm setting this 50 lb. weight loss in hopes of finding a healthy weight and size satisfaction along the way--if that makes any sense

For example, If I work towards 120lbs, but find that I've reached a healthy weight at 130, I will stop there. I've been down the unhealthy road before, I'm just looking to doing this the right way now!
Sounds good!
readyfreddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 11:05 PM   #9  

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenn33082 View Post
Is there a reason for the 9 month mark? I found it better for me to not put a time limit on my weight loss/getting healthy journey.

Here's a few tips that have worked for me:
1. I don't drink my calories, unless it is a protein shake. (i do use creamer in my coffee that is 30calories)-Yes this meant cutting out alcohol for the most part.
2. Track everything you eat. You can use a notebook or a calorie counting website. I love thedailyplate. Make sure to input everything that goes into your mouth. These websites will also tell you how many calories you need per day to reach your goal (you input your height and current weight and then tell it how many pounds you want to lose per week. You should stick to 1-1.5lbs/week generally.)
3. If there is "unhealthy" food that you like, try to find the healthier version as opposed to completely eliminating the item out of your life. I love sparkrecipes. I can type in an ingredient or dish-type and get a list of healthy recipes with the nutritional values already listed.
4. PLAN PLAN PLAN!!!! I planned my food one day to one week in advance, even my snacks. This eliminated the "I'm hungry, what should I eat? I think I'll have this box of macaroni and cheese" moments.
5. Do some research. It has really helped me to learn about healthier food items and what I should eat in moderation only and the reasons behind what makes some items better for you than others.
Yes, 9 months until my birthday. I want to do something that I always wanted to do, but never really gave the effort or dedication to actually finish out. Thanks for the tips! They are really helpful