Old 02-24-2011, 09:32 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 253.6/235.6/135

Height: 5'4"

Default What am I doing wrong? Please help

I need some help. I am about 218 and I just can not seem to get any lower. I am counting my calories and never go above 1500. I do Jillians 30 day shred every morning except Sunday. On Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday I do take an hour Zumba class and on Wednesday and Saturday I do 1 hour elliptical. This past week and a half I would drop to 15.8 or 16. 2 but bounce back up the next day to 218. Being this big I did not expect a stall yet. I get in 64 oz of water a day. Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong? Is this normal? Any help would be appreciated

Thanks
Sheila
SweetSheila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:39 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 263/Ticker/160

Height: 5'8"

It sounds like you're doing a lot! It almost makes me wonder if you're just not getting enough calories with all the work you're putting into it.
Xaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:40 AM   #3  
I'm a SWIMMER!

S/C/G: 209.4/149.2/150

Height: 5'9

cut back exercise on 1500 cals. i'd recommend 3-4 days/week. increase intensity and time working out, not days...your body NEEDS rest to progress. see if that don't get the scale moving.

Last edited by joyfulloser; 02-24-2011 at 09:41 AM.
joyfulloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:52 AM   #4  
I am in control.

Height: 5'9

I would agree with the others that maybe you aren't eating enough calories daily. You could try cutting back on exercise and keep the calories where they are like Joyful suggested, or you could keep the same exercise routing going but just up the calories. Our bodies are science experiments!

Last edited by Emme; 02-24-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Emme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:20 AM   #5  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Try upping your calories to 1650 for a week, if there is still no change go up to 1800, I really think you need more calories cuz it sounds like you are doing a lot.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:38 AM   #6  
Bingo

S/C/G: 270/202.8/165

Height: 5'8

I agree with the others - upping calories a bit may be a good idea, or cutting back on exercise.

Also - what does you 1500 calories look like? Is it lots of fruits and veggies, high sodium, carb dense... For me, what I eat is just as important as how much. I store water like a camel, so I have to really watch my sodium intake. So it may be something to consider.

I think you're doing great - you're frustrated but haven't quit. Hang in there! You'll figure out what works best for you
dcapulet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:09 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

how long has it been that you've been bouncing around and not losing?
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:13 AM   #8  
one choice at a time

S/C/G: 275/155/189/???

Height: 5'5"

A week and half isn't a stall, especially if you've just added in all that hard exercise or stepped up the intensity. It's very common for your body to take time to adjust after a period of weight loss. it's also very common for your body to retain fluids when you step up your exercise plan.

Trust your plan and give it some time. I agree that you can probably afford more calories in your day, but I don't think that's why you've not seen any loss for a week and a half. Rather, a week and a half is too short a time scale to look at. Give it a couple more weeks and be patient.
carter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 12:47 PM   #9  

Thank you all for responding I have no clue what to look for as far as sodium goes. I have looked at labels but I don't know what is considered high and what is considered low. I did just up the intensity so maybe I do need to just give it more time. I just thought the more you exercise the more you would loose

Typical day

Breakfast: 1 cup off brand honey bunches of oats--110 calories
1/4 cup of Pure Almond unsweetened milk--9 calories

Snack: cuties mandarin-- 40 calories

Lunch: 2 slices or Sara Lees's 45 cal bread--90 calories
1 pudding--120 calories
cuties mandarin--40 calories

Snack: Oats and chocolate Fiber 1 bar--140 calories

Supper: Usually something out of the biggest loser cookbooks. Like the Spirals and Meatballs--481 Calories
I have this with several servings of vegetables. Sometimes I eat a whole can of green beans so 70 calories.

I also add one of the crystal light packets to my water so that is another 40 calories.

Making the total 1140

This day was a little lower in calories but I am usually right around 1300. I have been one to overeat in the past and I hated exercise. For once in my life I actually feel full all the time and I love love love exercise. I think this is why I am so scared to do anything different but I will try having a few more calories and possibly taking 2 days off a week rather than 1.

Thank you all
Old 02-24-2011, 01:02 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 184/181/160

Height: 5'11"

I think that as long as you enjoy the exercise, there's no real point of taking more days off. It's really more about making sure that you're changing up the exercise and not working on the same routine working the same muscles on consecutive days.

And when you're eating more to compensate for the exercise, it doesn't have to feel like a lot. It could be a tablespoon of natural peanut butter, 1/2 oz of almonds, or an extra fruit. Even a glass of milk after your routine. Protein is invaluable when working out too.

Also, I've found that the less preservatives, the better for my weightloss (and energy). I'll use fresh or frozen fruits/veggies rather than canned. Instead of a granola bar that comes with a sugar high, I'll have 11 almonds for energy.

Little by little, you'll find what works. It is a huge complicated world when it comes to being healthy and you have to find that right balance for you. And like carter emphasized, 1.5 weeks isn't a plateau. It's your body figuring itself out.
prepping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 01:19 PM   #11  
Here I go again

S/C/G: 201/see ticker/135

Height: 5'6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SweetSheila View Post
Thank you all for responding I have no clue what to look for as far as sodium goes. I have looked at labels but I don't know what is considered high and what is considered low. I did just up the intensity so maybe I do need to just give it more time. I just thought the more you exercise the more you would loose

Typical day

Breakfast: 1 cup off brand honey bunches of oats--110 calories
1/4 cup of Pure Almond unsweetened milk--9 calories

Snack: cuties mandarin-- 40 calories

Lunch: 2 slices or Sara Lees's 45 cal bread--90 calories
1 pudding--120 calories
cuties mandarin--40 calories

Snack: Oats and chocolate Fiber 1 bar--140 calories

Supper: Usually something out of the biggest loser cookbooks. Like the Spirals and Meatballs--481 Calories
I have this with several servings of vegetables. Sometimes I eat a whole can of green beans so 70 calories.

I also add one of the crystal light packets to my water so that is another 40 calories.

Making the total 1140

This day was a little lower in calories but I am usually right around 1300. I have been one to overeat in the past and I hated exercise. For once in my life I actually feel full all the time and I love love love exercise. I think this is why I am so scared to do anything different but I will try having a few more calories and possibly taking 2 days off a week rather than 1.

Thank you all
Try to stay under 2000mg of Sodium a day. New guidelines came out recently that are suggesting people stay under 1500mg if any pre conditions such as high blood pressure, heart disease and over 51 yrs old. Check out nutrition labels closely. Usually proceed foods such as deli meats, canned food and frozen food are high is sodium. If you eat nuts, try to go with unsalted.

You may also want to eliminate aspartame which is in crystal light, I've read sometimes it contributes to plateaus.

I'am also plateauing , I track my calories and nutrients on livestrong.com and "experimenting " on eating back calories I burn. So far I've lost a pound but not getting my hopes up since I've been bouncing back and forth a couple of pounds. Good Luck
BoopRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:15 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 253/see ticker/140

Height: 5'2

Try upping your calories, for sure.

I was sticking to 1200-1300 calories and was getting really frustrated because I was losing realllly slowly. Then I upped myself to 1500 and I started losing quickly!!
MamaFlea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:46 PM   #13  
Soul Cyster

S/C/G: 235/seeticker/135

Height: 5'3"

Instead of canned eat frozen or fresh- canned veggies are PACKED with sodium.
beerab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 243/190/150

Where's the protein????

barb
angelskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #15  

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelskeep View Post
Where's the protein????

barb
Oooops I forgot to list my turkey that goes in between those two slices of bread for lunch I also always have meat for supper....hamburger, turkey bacon, turkey burger, deer steaks, roast, etc.

One night a week I do have some type of pasta

I am just starting this whole counting calories thing so it is taking a bit getting used to. Trying to eat healthy and get everything in but I am no pro